MONOC going digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timekeeper

Hi everyone. I hope everybody is having a good summer. Now I just heard a transmission on Monoc Disp. (462.950) involving Unit 216 asking the dispatcher if he was heard on digital, the dispatcher answered negative. I know that they use push to talk phones as a talkaround. But this is not what I am referring too. Has anyone heard recently of any plans for them to go digital? As I'm typing this I just heard Unit 216 stating that the other radio has no signal. Just something to think about please keep this thread posted. Thanks. And, as always happy monitoring. God Bless and all the best. 73's

elias1988

Feed Provider
Guess they are having coverage issues in southern Ocean County,Northern and Monmouth County sounded very clear as I listened through the weekend.

timekeeper

Hi guys and thanks. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Let's hope that Monoc doesn't get suckered in to the propaganda called the NJICS.

elias1988

Feed Provider
I disagree,They're due for a radio upgrade with the portables. there's static half the time with control telling the units they're unreadable. I think NJICS would work great for them as it does for MedCentral.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
They should just get new VHF radios and save us New Jerseyians alot of Money!
Maybe some of their radios are in bad shape,but not all of them.And VHF is the best
for range!How about a digital VHF system ?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I was a recent patient in a MONOC ambulance last week. I am OK,
I was talking with one Paramedic while in route to the hospital. They are indeed planing to switch to the NJICS system somtime in September. As previously stated they are now testing.

SCPD

QRT
NJPSIC

I was a recent patient in a MONOC ambulance last week. I am OK,
I was talking with one Paramedic while in route to the hospital. They are indeed planing to switch to the NJICS system somtime in September. As previously stated they are now testing.

Oh great......Now monitoring VHF will be gone.
How sad,really liked hearing that loud clear analog sound.
Now they have to make a scanner that actually decodes this system and
we will be all set!Oh I have tried them all ,and theres no hope hearing that 700 system if you live in an area where you are saturated with signals..
Comes in all broken up or you can barely understand them.Uniden or
Whistler and no one will man up that their $400 scanner doesnt do this
system well.

elias1988

Feed Provider
My decoding of Phase II has much improved on the 536HP since Uniden released the last firmware update,do you have the latest update?

Monoxide16

Hey k2ool you should hear the Burlington Co digital system now that system is a disgrace! Everyday I hear dispatch say please repeat your message your portable is unreadable or all broken up analog does sound so much better miss those days lol.

ansky

My decoding of Phase II has much improved on the 536HP since Uniden released the last firmware update,do you have the latest update?

I think it depends more on your location than the actual scanner. I have an HP-2. The Union County simulcast sounds fine for me, but the West Orange simulcast is a disaster and pretty much unlistenable.

Analogrules

I agree with timekeeper. If it ain't broken, no need to fix it. I can even pick up Monoc in Ocean County from up here in Union County via analog. Sounds beautiful and obviously doesn't need new radios sounding that good. Yet, I can barely hear Newark FD on NJICS. And from what was posted, it seems their tests so far haven't been going so well. Waste of money!! It is the same principal of how 45 records sound better than CD's or anything digital. It is a fact that even on an excellent radio with an excellent antenna, digital transmissions sound as if they are speaking underwater or in a tunnel. Even the clearest transmissions on digital don't sound as good as an analog transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

timekeeper

Hi..... N2ZGE you hit the nail on the head. Don't get me wrong I know technology and the times are changing. For the most part there's no wide area radio system that you are going to get close to a 100% portable coverage, unless you use mobile extenders and even then you may have some issues. What you may want to have in that case is to make sure you have close to a 100% mobile coverage. I also agree with N2ZGE about the quality of digital, I've mentioned that in past post. I'm guessing that passed monitor/scanner enthusiast went through the same transitions when public safety communications switched from kilohertz AM to megahertz AM and finally megahertz FM.( Wow that was a very deep side note.) One more thing does anyone know if the NJICS has any redundancies built into the system in case the system crashes. Again as always happy monitoring. God Bless and all the best....

Last edited:
One of the medics made a comment about a new radio that she had to use. I'll stop by this week to see what they are switching to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.