Unitrunker DVB stick not working (but ok in SDRSharp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
I'm having trouble using any DVB stick with Unitrunker on my laptop with Windows 7 Pro SP1. The DVB stick works just fine with SDRSharp, it's just that when I click the "play" button in Unitrunker, the status remains "stopped." Can someone suggest maybe something I'm overlooking? Thanks.

Windows 7 Pro SP 1, Unitrunker 1.0.32.7.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
I'm using the exact same dongle on another PC, and it works just fine... just somehow for whatever reason I can't it to work on this one laptop. And I don't know how to diagnose it!

SCPD

QRT
Run Zadig to verify the device is paired with the WinUSB driver.

If your W7 system has a mix of USB 2 and USB 3 ports, try the USB 2 port.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Yes the laptop (HP Zbook 15) has a mix of USB 3 and one USB 2.0 port.

Zadig 2.1.2 reports the driver installed as WinUSB 6.1.7600.16385. I reinstalled it on Interface 0 and 1 just for good measure.

Again, still, SDRSharp sees the dongle and uses it just fine but I realize that DSDplus doesn't see it either.

This is driving me nuts!!! Both DVB sticks work just fine in TWO other computers, and I know I've used it on this Zbook 15 before, but that was at least a month ago, and now... nada.

SCPD

QRT
Again, still, SDRSharp sees the dongle and uses it just fine but I realize that DSDplus doesn't see it either.
If the device is selected in SDR#, no other program will be able to use it (and I assume you mean FMP, not DSDPlus).

gtriever

Premium Subscriber
I've had this "problem" as well (running 1.0.30.10). I've noticed that when first starting Unitrunker you may need to refresh the 'RTL Device' setting for the software to know which dongle to use.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
Could have the wrong tuner chip.

unitrunker doesn't support these?
E4000

I found out that was my cause I had to order new ones.

reconrider8

mine did that also man it was running fine then one day it just stopped working i had to go in zazig and select all devices and reinstall like that eve if it failed i restart a couple of times and wala it started working again.

KF6ORX

Premium Subscriber
Run Zadig to verify the device is paired with the WinUSB driver.

If your W7 system has a mix of USB 2 and USB 3 ports, try the USB 2 port.

Similar problem as above. I've run Zadig and the device is paired with Win driver. The problem seems to be that Unitrunker does not recognize the RTL2838 type just the RTL2832 type even though I suspect the interface is identical via R2832 device. Works fine with SDR#.

KF6ORX

Premium Subscriber
I've had this "problem" as well (running 1.0.30.10). I've noticed that when first starting Unitrunker you may need to refresh the 'RTL Device' setting for the software to know which dongle to use.

That went right over my head. WHERE do you do this "Refresh" of devices? All I'm aware of is each device has a settings window where you select the device type. And a RTL2838 device (with the E4000) is not listed as an option.

KF6ORX

Premium Subscriber
I'm having trouble using any DVB stick with Unitrunker on my laptop with Windows 7 Pro SP1. The DVB stick works just fine with SDRSharp, it's just that when I click the "play" button in Unitrunker, the status remains "stopped." Can someone suggest maybe something I'm overlooking? Thanks.

Windows 7 Pro SP 1, Unitrunker 1.0.32.7.

I think the confusion here is that the RTLSDR dongle with the E4000 that is being sold as a high definition TV dongle identifies itself to Windows as a RTL2838UHIDIR device while the older devices with the R820T tuner are identified as RTL2832U devices.SDR# sees the different device type but Unitrunker does not.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I think the confusion here is that the RTLSDR dongle with the E4000 that is being sold as a high definition TV dongle identifies itself to Windows as a RTL2838UHIDIR device while the older devices with the R820T tuner are identified as RTL2832U devices.SDR# sees the different device type but Unitrunker does not.

My dongles show as RTL2838UHIDIR and run fine with all sdr programs.No problem with unitrunker. I run one with 5 vco's and not problem other that when it heats up it drifts a little.

Attachments

• sdr.JPG
    sdr.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 147
  • sdr 2.JPG
    sdr 2.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 151

moonbounce

My dongles show as RTL2838UHIDIR and run fine with all sdr programs.No problem with unitrunker. I run one with 5 vco's and not problem other that when it heats up it drifts a little.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the Rate on my system is 96000, I see yours is 240000, and in the label column try taking out that 38.4 ppm, it should be blank, The Wrap down below is where the 38.4 PPM should be. Have you tried opening the dongle to see what chip it is using?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if it makes a difference but the Rate on my system is 96000, I see yours is 240000, and in the label column try taking out that 38.4 ppm, it should be blank, The Wrap down below is where the 38.4 PPM should be. Have you tried opening the dongle to see what chip it is using?

Confused by your response. I was merely stating that my dongles work fine with Unitrunker even when they are listed as RTL2838UHIDIR.

But anyway, my chip reads R820t2 on it. I ran ziadig long time ago and they used to show like everyone else's in device manager. Now they show as RTL2838UHIDIR. Don't know what changed and right now, don't care as they work fine. If it ain't broke, dont fix it.

2.4 mhz is the max the realtek's can do. Basically *usable* bandwidth is about 70% to 80% of the sample rate. So i run the sample rate high. The system I monitor with 1 dongle spreads a little over 2 mhz.

Info on sample rate here, https://forums.radioreference.com/v...e/325365-unitrunker-receiver-sample-rate.html

The 38.4 ppm is for a different dongle that's not in use at the moment. I have not changed the label yet .

Why do you say the label needs to be blank? It's used to identify what's what when running multiple dongles.

Last edited:

moonbounce

Hello Dave,

You have 34.8 PPM in the label section, if 38.4 is the PPM of your dongle then that needs to be in the Warp section as the warps is the where the ppm of the dongle should be. So your value of 79 will give you an off frequency signal. I don't think the version that the original poster is using is the same one you are using as version 37 doesn't have a Warp section, just a correction section.

I have no idea what the Label section is for, all I am saying is mine is blank and my dongle work perfect.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 realtek dongles and each has a different ppm. The one used in the pic labeled 38.4ppm was unplugged at the time but configured with 5 vfo's for trunking recorder. I had something going on near me and needed unitrunker and the 5 vfo's. It was faster for me to change the ppm to 79 than it would have been to configure 5 vco's in unitrunker and 4 voice in trunking recorder. I assure you that the dongle was on freq despite what my label said. I use an airspy and a few dongles at a time with unitrunker so that's the whole purpose of labeling them. Also, if you use trunking recorder, each vfo must have a unique label or it won't work. Right now I am only using one dongle with unitrunker, but when all said and done, it will be 3 realtek's with 5 vfo's each, 1 signal and 4 voice, so 12 voice vfo's that have to be labeled.

Status
Not open for further replies.