Monmouth uhf hot line

Status
Not open for further replies.

40yearvol

The RR data base indicates old sheriff 4, 472.7125 is being utilized as the new hot line. I have heard Englishtown PD using it since the County Car channel has been re purposed as North response without normal hot line communications, county to town or town to town. Does anyone know the status of using this frequency as a hot line?

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
To my knowledge nothing has come down the pike to the local PD's about switching from LoBand to UHF for the hotline. But then again I am not admin and would be the last to find out. I know I still use Sheriff 4 if I need to call County from my patrol car since that's the only direct link now for local PD's. Shame they didn't leave something up for VHF departments but I guess SPEN 1 is still available.

Tech792

To my knowledge nothing has come down the pike to the local PD's about switching from LoBand to UHF for the hotline. But then again I am not admin and would be the last to find out. I know I still use Sheriff 4 if I need to call County from my patrol car since that's the only direct link now for local PD's. Shame they didn't leave something up for VHF departments but I guess SPEN 1 is still available.

I agree......as a radio systems manager for my dept, no word of any "UHF hotline" has been mentioned. Maybe its way off in the future or in the planning stages.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
"hotline"

Recently punched in both the lowband and UHF "Hotline" channels, I pick up most of Monmouth with no problem from my location. What should I expect to hear? is it used like SPEN for interagency calling from town to town?

Tech792

I stand corrected.
We just received a memo today from county. The old low band channel is done by years end in favor of the UHF repeater as mentioned above. They're calling it a "Hotline/Interop" channel.

squad1321

I stand corrected.
We just received a memo today from county. The old low band channel is done by years end in favor of the UHF repeater as mentioned above. They're calling it a "Hotline/Interop" channel.

Not sure if it will ever pan out, but I had heard at one time, they were going to let schools (probably by using a portable), carry this new Hotline/Interop, in case of say an active shooter or other police-related emergencies. Sounds like a good idea, especially if the phone is out of reach, plus you can have direct comms with the PD.

radiomanNJ1

Not sure if it will ever pan out, but I had heard at one time, they were going to let schools (probably by using a portable), carry this new Hotline/Interop, in case of say an active shooter or other police-related emergencies. Sounds like a good idea, especially if the phone is out of reach, plus you can have direct comms with the PD.

Yes nothing like an excited teacher/administrator with a police radio. Dont they have a radio system of some kind at the schools. In a few places in Bergen they have a tie in using DMR.

scannersnstuff

not a good idea is right. one town gave the local school district access to the police repeater. imagine the confusion it created when they had a emergency drill,used the police fq. and didn't tell the police. in other instances, they come up on the police fq. for school related business by accident.

scannersnstuff

i would be more in favor of town's getting a multi. service interop. fq. like middletown has. let the school's in on that channel. you do not want untrained people tying up a primary emergency communications channel.if there is a school related emergency,let the command oic/command post monitor that fq., and control the radio traffic that way. i speak from experience. just like, you don't need a wordy responder tying up a emergency channel either. not being critical of school personnel.

ShoreBullets

Or just give the schools a channel that the patrols have in their portables, something going on at the school they can just pop over to the school channel

ProgMan66

Keeping 39.46 on the air...

I've always been a firm believer in having a backup. In this case, the tried-and-true 39.46 Hot Line frequency. I feel it should be kept active just in case the UHF repeater has problems or becomes busy with traffic. The Low Band system is already licensed, bought and paid for and works quite well throughout the county. There is also no competition from any other users locally, making the frequency nice and quiet. The use of PL solves the occasional "skip" problem when the band opens, so that's not an issue either. I doubt it would cost THAT much to upgrade it with new equipment, especially since it's only a network of base stations with no mobiles. Low Band equipment is still being manufactured by several companies, such as Kenwood and Vertex Standard. I think it's worth the investment to keep it on the air rather than abandon it.

Tech792

My thoughts exactly. You're throwing in more failure factors into the equation that was once a simple base-to base network. (Ex. the repeater, phone lines, power at the sites, repeater antenna, etc). Not to mention.....I thought we were suppose to vacate the UHF T band (470-512) in about 5 or so years?

And I'm hoping Englishtown PD moves to another frequency at some point. Our dispatchers are too busy to be listening to another town's day-to-day dispatching. Otherwise, the volume levels for this new county hotline will most likely be turned down all the time.

NESN

My thoughts exactly. You're throwing in more failure factors into the equation that was once a simple base-to base network. (Ex. the repeater, phone lines, power at the sites, repeater antenna, etc). Not to mention.....I thought we were suppose to vacate the UHF T band (470-512) in about 5 or so years?

And I'm hoping Englishtown PD moves to another frequency at some point. Our dispatchers are too busy to be listening to another town's day-to-day dispatching. Otherwise, the volume levels for this new county hotline will most likely be turned down all the time.

EPD went off the new system due to many dead spots in the low elevation of Englishtown Borough. EPD was activating the Millstone tower and not the Freehold tower as was hoped for. Manalapan PD tried/tested the system for 3 days and had many dead spots also. As soon as a new tower or antennas are in place behind MPD Hqs, both will move to the 700mhz system, encrypted.
P.S.-Reportedly the new radios are $5,000.00 apiece.

RBFD415

P-25

I picked this up last week, been super busy and did not get to post it here till tonight.

I got a hit with voice traffic on 472.71250 WITH P-25 audio, NAC code "2C0"

Have not heard it again. It was voice and in the clear. Signal was decent- but I couldn't tell if it was of Monmouth origin or not? Was not able to make sense of what they where talking about at the time.

elias1988

Feed Provider
472.71250 is also a voice channel for the Bergen County TRS,you may have been picking it up from that.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
Just heard what I'm assuming was an automated test message on the old Sheriff's 4. Message said "Emergency Condition at Deal School." Perhaps this is the school system that was mentioned... Panic button type messages.

Tech792

Was just in communication with county IT today. The old low band 39.46 was decommissioned yesterday....taken out of all the county consoles.

RBFD415

Did we blow taps for the passing? Anybody know when the County originally was first licensed for 39.46?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.