Audio Level Setting in Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Just recovering for a major lighting strike that had my radio/antenna/computer network stuff wiped out ( yes, everything was grounded ). I'm using a different computer now (Vista SP2 ) and seems to be working OK. On the old system, I was using some sort of VU meter ( err vertical bar graph ) for levels that seemed to work pretty good. All that's gone now. Anyways, how does one know if you're putting out too high an audio level over the net? The audio system in the computer is a RealTek HD and has some bar graphs in the program to show some relative levels of audio. How does that translate into proper levels going over the net? I don't want to overdrive the system. I was hoping for something a little more scientific than "by ear". Any thoughts appreciated.

talkpair

I captured about 6 hours of audio from your feed yesterday and viewed it using Audacity.

In a perfect world, a listener should be able to switch from listening to a CD to your feed without reaching for the volume control knob.

Streaming two radio is challenging because it's users lack the controlled environment that a talk radio station or music studio would typically have.

Though the biggest difference is probably the introduction of noise which increases as the signal strength gets weaker.

When I zoom in on your audio, there are places where the audio looks a little weak and others it is overpowering. But these weak transmissions could be from the user not talking into the mic properly and has nothing to do with your levels.

As for the points in the graph where the audio appears to be clipping.....These are the end of transmission 'squelch tails'. I wouldn't be concerned about them being distorted because they aren't of any value.

Tightening the squelch might eliminate the higher levels of noise during a weak transmission and allow you to bump up the audio a little, but the squelch tail is still there. The penalty is losing some of the weak signals that are still intelligible.

I personally think your levels are where they need to be and wouldn't change anything. This may not be the scientific answer you were in search of, but at least it's something you can view and not just hear.

Attachments

• rail.png
    rail.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 129

W9AJM

Feed Provider
OK, thanks for your input. I'll leave it where it is for now. The "new" computer obviously has a different sound card system so all bets were off as to what setting to use. Looks like the "bars" in the sound program are in the ballpark. Thanks.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.