Terre Haute City Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Not hearing much traffic on Terre Haute city police.

They have been intermittent here for the last week, but they were cooking away as usual last night when I went to Menard's. Propagation has been pretty wonky lately...maybe check your CC signal strength, see if the site is up? I'm hearing VCSD etc okay this afternoon, but I think they run more power than the city does.:wink:

thunder47802

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply

I seem to get VCSD , TH Fire, State Police, County Fire . This evening I am not getting City Police at all not sure if its me or a problem or some kind of change on their end. Again thanks.

DJ11DLN

I heard them a couple of times after I posted, then once or twice later, after a meeting I had to attend. Far less than normal. Have been up about 45 minutes now and not hearing anything from them, which is not normal. But I'm also hearing VCSD VCFD, THFD, ISP, other surrounding counties and agencies, and everything else I usually hear. The TX's I did hear seemed to be down on signal level (2-3 bars vs 5 bars for the FD and everything else), could be a problem they're having, or maybe just reduced power for some reason? The site is coming in here 5 bars with 98% decode, which is normal. Something seems to be going on with them, I'm just not sure what!:confused:

thunder47802

Premium Subscriber
It seems like they were using their TAC1 frequency for everything Wednesday evening. Got a lot of hits on 7488 of course it was encrypted.

DJ11DLN

That figures. I don't have any of their ENC groups programmed. But from their apparent mindset I've been surprised that they ran in the clear as much as they did. I suppose the occasional clear TX's I'm hearing are just to radios not (yet) set up for private, or old stuff not yet rotated. Oh, well, it's been fun while it lasted...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Is THPD Dispatch still clear, or encrypted now? I know they are encrypting Tacticals etc, like pretty much everyone does these days.

thunder47802

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch is very active today but not hearing any replies from mobile units. Will be a shame if they encrypt everything.

DJ11DLN

I suspect they will leave Dispatch in the clear and either do a split as they appear to be doing today, with mobiles apparently replying on one of the private tacts (or maybe over MDT), or just run on one of those and pay lip service to the whole "we're being transparent, we've kept our dispatch TG in the clear" thing. Seemed that they started doing this in the run-up to the annual Scheid Diesel drunken hell-raising party last weekend; maybe they saw some benefit from it and decided to keep it. Odd that they were running normally the other evening and then went quiet again. I know they've had just about everything except dispatch ENC for some time now. As far as doing that for their Tactical Response Team, Drug Task Force, etc, I don't have a problem with it, but I question why they think they need everything routine kept private.

usswood

because of all the propagation and lack of radio knowledge, THPD has been on Tac 1 for the last few weeks... Since there is limited access of this TG to other towers, it forces their radio's to talk off of the downtown tower only, which has solved most of their propagation issues... Dispatch believes it's the TG itself, but lack of radio knowledge will cause that type of confusion

DJ11DLN

Hearing a fair amount of clear traffic on THPD Dispatch this afternoon, both Dispatch and mobile. Propagation is still pretty crazy, I've had to swap between 3 different antennas several times to keep the CC signal strength up and the motorboats away.:roll:

usswood

UPDATE: 10-3-15: Terre Haute downtown tower has been in site trunking all day today, Saturday! All THPD units on Tac 1 until network is restored... Vigo County Sheriff is operating on its old VHF Channel along with WTH PD.. since ISUPD is supported by the downtown tower pretty much 24/7, they are unaffected by site trunking and are working the tower as normal!!!! LMAO fyi....

DJ11DLN

UPDATE: 10-3-15: Terre Haute downtown tower has been in site trunking all day today, Saturday! All THPD units on Tac 1 until network is restored... Vigo County Sheriff is operating on its old VHF Channel along with WTH PD.. since ISUPD is supported by the downtown tower pretty much 24/7, they are unaffected by site trunking and are working the tower as normal!!!! LMAO fyi....

Wow. I am always a day late & a dollar short. Guess I need to put those old VHF freqs back in the lineup. I heard the Dispatcher tell all units to "go to tact channel until end of shift" Thursday afternoon at about 1415. Of course they did not come back on Dispatch when the shift changed. It had been quiet on THPD since then but VCSD seemed business as usual. Wasn't around the scanner much yesterday and have heard THPD a few times today on Safe-T but not VCSD so far. I will get some reprogramming done and try to start paying more attention!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.