Helicopter Down - S Rampart Range Rd - Sedalia Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

county

Premium Subscriber
Hearing comms on Doug Co FGRND3, Unicom (123.025), and Airlife/Lifeguard dispatch. Sounds like the crash site is 3/4 mi NE of NF-327 and S Rampart Range Rd in Pike Natl Forest. Lifeguard helicopter has found the crash site, have landed about 1 MI to the E and crew is hiking in.

Edit: just looked at map, more like Palmer Lake area than Sedalia. Not sure whose helo it is yet. .

Last edited:

county

Premium Subscriber
Blackhawk with hoist ability enroute from Ft Carson. Sounds like two serious injuries, and two ambulatory on-scene. Hearing reference to a freq, called AirGuard. . anyone know what that is? 168.625?

Edit: also lots of activity on VFIRE 21 (154.280)

Last edited:

county

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like things under control, the two injured were hoisted by another Ft Carson Blackhawk that is transporting them directly to the hospital.

Mick

121.50 was used, so they may be calling it Air Guard.

Blackhawk with hoist ability enroute from Ft Carson. Sounds like two serious injuries, and two ambulatory on-scene. Hearing reference to a freq, called AirGuard. . anyone know what that is? 168.625?

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I could hear at least one of the Blackhawk's intermittently on 123.025 while driving home through Lakewood, Wheatridge & Arvada, those things must have powerful VHF radios/antenna's. I'm kinda surprised I could hear it at all (although my 49" Larsen certainly helped). Pretty crazy scene, they were having trouble with SAT phone reception.

Update: they just put out a small fire at the crash scene.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

I agree with Mick. "Guard" is a name for 121.5 MHz in aviation, so I would imagine that the Castle Rock Chief wanted that frequency. He was pretty knowledgeable of what was available. The coordination for a common channel was a little bit all over the place, especially when Ft Carson got involved.

Pretty interesting though, it's rare to have a medical helicopter crew be first due to an incident. Also interesting that the military was able to scramble medevac and get their crew out before any other significant resources arrived.

What wasn't so impressive was the inability to determine the location initially, especially since another helicopter was circling the crash site shortly after it happened. Either whoever that was in other chopper really needs to learn how to read a map or the people working the tower need to work on their aircraft locating skills. Elbert County is not heavily wooded and is certainly not west of I-25.

Last edited:

radio

Premium Subscriber
County, What is Douglas Co FGRND D3? I know of and have heard Douglas OPS-3.

Thanks

Last edited:

county

Premium Subscriber
County, What is Douglas Co FGRND D3? I know of and have heard Douglas OPS-3.

Thanks

Well it looks like I am working with an old program in my scanner as I had TGID 1057 (DEC) marked as 'Douglas Co Fgrnd-3' which I believe was an old tag on RadioReference. I see 1057 is now tagged Ops-3. In the future I will try to include the TGID also, to avoid any confusion. Thanks for the clarification question.

radio

Premium Subscriber
I had found in the Douglas Co Wiki several conventional frequencies for fire dispatch and fire ground. The first FG was tagged DougCoFD4. 856.26250 293 NAC. Thus I was curious as to what you had referenced since I heard traffic on OPS 3, 5 and 7 the other day during the tanker/wild land incident in Larksburg area

Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.