• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motrec remote control cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog359

Hello everyone, As a firefighter, My hobby is collecting and displaying vintage/ older public safety radios and dispatch consoles. I especially like the old "lights and buttons" consoles. But.lest I digress, I have purchased a nice Motrec mobile and 2 control heads off Ebay. I don't have them in hand yet so I don't have any numbers to list but I am going to need the proper remote cable to get everything attached or maybe have to make one. Can anyone give me some guidance on the pinouts on the cable or the connectors that I will need? Thanks

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, As a firefighter, My hobby is collecting and displaying vintage/ older public safety radios and dispatch consoles. I especially like the old "lights and buttons" consoles. But.lest I digress, I have purchased a nice Motrec mobile and 2 control heads off Ebay. I don't have them in hand yet so I don't have any numbers to list but I am going to need the proper remote cable to get everything attached or maybe have to make one. Can anyone give me some guidance on the pinouts on the cable or the connectors that I will need? Thanks
I suspect you mean Motrac instead of Motrec.

The Motrac cables used a special proprietary one piece connector at the radio end, and if memory serves, there were various versions based on features installed in the radio and the control heads. Having installed a number of them over the years, I am thinking that making your own from scratch might be a huge challenge especially if you want it to actually function and power up the radio.

That said, you might look over on repeater-builder.com to see if they might have some documentation for the Motrac's. They've got tons for other /\/\ radios.

Manuals come up on ebay all the time, too.

If you want the authentic cable, they do pop up on ebay, too.

I loved those radios!

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
Several used that connector

They were used for a few different models. The Motrac, Motran, Mitrek, and the Mocom-70, as I remember them. I recall the color-codes used in the wiring (standard color codes, 1-9, with 10 being black. 11 being black with a brown stripe, etc).. While I worked as a comm-tech for the Government, I also was (am) a ham. I recall taking one of those original cables, and making an interface to work with a Micor control head. Ah, the memories!

KA4MLK

Premium Subscriber
Oh, the red wire was actually a shielded one, for mic audio. Brown center wire went to pin 2 in the control head, the shield went to pin 16 (if memory serves. It's been decades!)

Status
Not open for further replies.