Airspy not working with Unitrunker...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I'm not able to get Airspy to work in Unitrunker. The dongle shows up in the drop down menu, I'm able to get it running. Using a R280T dongle as the CC, I can even see that the channels are changing but the Scope remains flatlined. I don't have mute selected. Seems like everything is in order.

Any ideas? Do I need to update the driver for AS? I did that last week from the latest firmware.

I'm using a Winbook TW100 with Windows 8.1

BTW, the R280T works fine, I can hear the CC and the Scope shows it.

D

DaveNF2G

I've seen another thread on this already. In fact, I posted to it a while back.

Anyway, since we're here now, I will add that the Airspy is a resource hog. I cannot use it on either of my quad core Windows 10 machines because it overloads the USB hub on the motherboard. The result is choppy audio, which means no digital decoding of any sort.

KA2ZEY

Ok maybe that's it, not enough resources to run it with the other dongle running as well. Screw it, I'm gonna sell the Airspy and get another RTL-SDR R280T.

It's also a shame that UT doesn't recognize E4000 since I have one here too.

D

DaveNF2G

Yeah, the E4000 has been obsoleted by the software authors who are writing only for the R820T/T2.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've seen another thread on this already. In fact, I posted to it a while back.

Anyway, since we're here now, I will add that the Airspy is a resource hog. I cannot use it on either of my quad core Windows 10 machines because it overloads the USB hub on the motherboard. The result is choppy audio, which means no digital decoding of any sort.

The Airspy works at 10 msps or 2..5 msps. If you are running USB 2.0 ports, you should expect subpar performance in my mind if you running at 10 msps. You also could expect subpar performance at 10 msps if your USB port is part of a hub.

At any rate, this is nothing to blame on Airspy. It requires certain USB bandwidth and robustness. If you don't have it, blame the PC maker.

Switch to 2.5 msps if you must. Then consider buying an addon USB 3.0 card or something.

Mike

KA2ZEY

The Airspy works at 10 msps or 2..5 msps. If you are running USB 2.0 ports, you should expect subpar performance in my mind if you running at 10 msps. You also could expect subpar performance at 10 msps if your USB port is part of a hub.

At any rate, this is nothing to blame on Airspy. It requires certain USB bandwidth and robustness. If you don't have it, blame the PC maker.

Switch to 2.5 msps if you must. Then consider buying an addon USB 3.0 card or something.

Mike

I'm not blaming Airspy at all. I have it working great in SDR# at 2.5 MBPS. I would just like to get Unitrunker up and running and for that I'm going to need an other R280T apparently.

Voyager

I will add that the Airspy is a resource hog. I cannot use it on either of my quad core Windows 10 machines because it overloads the USB hub on the motherboard.

It takes bandwidth to sample 10 MHz pf spectrum. It's really pushing USB2 specs, and if that USB is being shared, well, only so many people can drive a car at the same time.

It sounds like it's not that the Airspy is a resource hog as much as your PC is a resource skimp.

D

DaveNF2G

Further testing has shown that Airspy seems to exceed the limitations of USB 2.0 under Windows 10, but not 7 or XP.

KA2ZEY

It takes bandwidth to sample 10 MHz pf spectrum. It's really pushing USB2 specs, and if that USB is being shared, well, only so many people can drive a car at the same time.

It sounds like it's not that the Airspy is a resource hog as much as your PC is a resource skimp.

Well I never run it at 10 MBPS anyway and it works just fine at 2.5 in SDR#. If it can run in SDR#, it should be able to run in Unitrunker.

D

DaveNF2G

Running at 2.5 did stop the skipping, but I don't consider limiting the Airspy to the performance of a $20 dongle to be a real solution.

I have followed another suggestion or two in the meantime.

1) Changing the priority of SDRSharp in Task Manager - no effect.

2) Adding a separately powered USB Hub and plugging Airspy into that - SOLUTION!!!

The motherboards on my quad core machines do not supply enough power to the onboard USB ports to run the Airspy. The powered hub is the answer.

Voyager

You didn't limit it "to the performance of a $20 dongle" aside from narrowing the bandwidth so you didn't over-tax your PC (or OS as it sounds in this case). You retained all the other Airspy benefits over the "$20 dongle".

KA2ZEY

Running at 2.5 did stop the skipping, but I don't consider limiting the Airspy to the performance of a $20 dongle to be a real solution.

I have followed another suggestion or two in the meantime.

1) Changing the priority of SDRSharp in Task Manager - no effect.

2) Adding a separately powered USB Hub and plugging Airspy into that - SOLUTION!!!

The motherboards on my quad core machines do not supply enough power to the onboard USB ports to run the Airspy. The powered hub is the answer.

when i use a powered hub with airspy and a r280t, the driver for airspy goes in and out, not steady. Devive becomes unrecognized and then recognized again.

D

DaveNF2G

Running two of the same kind of device at the same time can cause problems with external hubs. The computer seems to "forget" which one it's talking to sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.