Can fly with my scanner in carry on bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
We are flying from NY to FL soon and I wanted to show off my new scanner (Uniden BCD436HP) to my brother in law but I have several concerns. Can I carry it in my carry on bag? I checked the TSA site and there is absolutely no metion of portable scanners listed under prohibited items. The last thing I need is to have them confiscate the thing. My second concern is will the x-ray machine harm the scannner in any way?

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't have any problems from a security standpoint but don't be shocked if the Officer running the bags through the X-Ray calls for a bag check.

elk2370bruce

I fly frequently with scanner and amateur radio gear. I've never had a problem with TSA bag checks. Owing to airline rules, keep the scanner in your bag and don't try to use it in flight due to these corporate airline rules. I was once asked by a TSA what the ht was. I told him that it was amateur radio, turned it on and made a call through a local repeater. He said thanks , laughed, and that was the end of it. For equipment safety, I always remove the antennas and remove the batter packs.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
And in case anyone reading is thinking, "Why not just put it in your checked bag?".... Jewelry, cameras, and ELECTRONICS are all not covered for loss if you place them in checked baggage. Read the fine print on your claim check on the airline's bag rules.

bharvey2

I did quite a bit of commercial air travel this past July. I had a Pro-688 scanner, a HAM HT, laptop, and several other electronic goodies in my carry-on. I never had a problem with any of them although it seems to be TSA policy to take the laptop out of the bag in order to be scanned properly. I removed the antennas for the radios primarily so they'd be less likely to be damaged. Of course, I never tried to use any of the radios onboard the aircraft.That is a no no.

N9TZO

Premium Subscriber
I have had my bag checked a couple of times when my HT or scanner had the antenna attached. Ever since then I travel with them not attached and have not had an issue with them in my carry-on.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have never had a TSA agent give a glance at my radio equipment and I travel a lot. I have had camera lenses singled out for x-ray and they get paranoid about cords and cables. They wiped down a remote release cable for my camera with explosive sensing liquid once. I take wire antennas with me sometimes in my checked baggage. I put them in plastic bags with a copy of my ham license inside. Don't know what good this does, but nothing has ever been disturbed. Absolutely do no put anything of value in your checked baggage.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Always check the TSA restricted items list. I work at the airport, always carry my radios and scanners several of them. No problem thru TSA. Never turn on during the flight. If your scanners or HT's have Lithium batteries you can only have the one attached to the radio, spares alone are considered Hazmat and No Go items. Same thing for power tools and anything with a lithium battery pack.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The only time I've ever had TSA ever care about equipment was when I was traveling back from Las Vegas. They were puzzled about my R8000 and wanted to know what it was. Didn't even blink about the declared firearm or other radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes. The Xray machine will not harm them, it won't even disturb the SD card. The TSA will be more interested in a CPAP machine, if you have one.

@W5PKY, TSA cares less about firearms than they do about 3.1 ounces of liquid. Declare them, fill out the orange card, lock them in a case with non TSA locks, and you are all set.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
I disagree with keeping the batteries/antenna/etc separate, because if an electronic item is flagged for inspection, they will want you to power it on and show it works (just like they sometimes want you to turn on a laptop - this tends to happen on Toughbooks and metal-shell devices). Having to assemble it just wastes time and pisses off the people in line behind you.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Lithium batteries can be carried on a plane, but not checked in baggage. I carry spare batteries for radios and cameras all the time. I put electricians tape over the contacts so that there is no possibility of a short. My brother-in-law is a professional videographer and carries sealed lead acid batteries on planes.

Always remember that the airline, not the TSA, has the final say on what can be carried on the plane. I leave my radios and scanners in my carry-on. Taking them out on the plane may lead to problems. The flight crew know nothing about radio and you may be ordered off the plane because of that. Not following their orders is a Federal offense even if they are clueless.

Britedj

Premium Subscriber
I'm flying into USA from Australia and was wondering how if I would have any trouble getting my scanner thru customs or should I leave it at home?

vstream02

Taking them out on the plane may lead to problems. The flight crew know nothing about radio and you may be ordered off the plane because of that. Not following their orders is a Federal offense even if they are clueless.
Wow...great to know you trust your flight crew over a radio. We are trained in Safety. I'm a flight attendant and know what a scanner is. It's also listed in the magazine as a prohibited item. In fact any ground or two way radio transmission/reception is prohibited.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Wow...great to know you trust your flight crew over a radio. We are trained in Safety. I'm a flight attendant and know what a scanner is. It's also listed in the magazine as a prohibited item. In fact any ground or two way radio transmission/reception is prohibited.

Sorry to suggest that flight attendants are clueless. However, it is a bad idea to get into an argument on a plane. They have to put up with enough without dealing with radios and scanners.

By the way, it is legal to operate on a plane with the permission of the captain. I've to done it on non-commercial flights. I expect that the chances of getting permission on any scheduled airline are between zero and none.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I'm flying into USA from Australia and was wondering how if I would have any trouble getting my scanner thru customs or should I leave it at home?

I have traveled to Ireland and back with a small Yaesu HT. No one saw it. I don't know what the reaction would have been. I am a licensed amateur radio operator and Ireland has reciprocal operating arrangements with the US, so it was legal. I carried a copy of my license and some papers from ARRL documenting the mutual agreement between the two countries. I didn't take a scanner. Police communications in the Irish Republic are on a proprietary network and encrypted. Could have received the fire service, but didn't try.

I've also been to Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, but didn't take any radios on that trip.

elk2370bruce

I disagree with keeping the batteries/antenna/etc separate, because if an electronic item is flagged for inspection, they will want you to power it on and show it works (just like they sometimes want you to turn on a laptop - this tends to happen on Toughbooks and metal-shell devices). Having to assemble it just wastes time and pisses off the people in line behind you.

Here is a simple solution that works. Take the detached antenna and battery pack and place them in a re-sealable plastic bag next to the ht. If asked. it takes less than a minute to re-assemble the radio. Its just not that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.