• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob41

Hello. I'm new here. I'm studying for my technician at the moment but until then I just listen and try to learn. My hunt club has purchased 4 licensed channels to use for hunting. We're in the process of purchasing mobiles for our trucks. We are looking at the Kenwood TM-281a. However my concern is the tx frequency range. I read that it only goes up to 148.000 but our frequencies start at 151. What would be a good mobile to use for this for under $200 or, preferably, around $150?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

N8IAA

Hello. I'm new here. I'm studying for my technician at the moment but until then I just listen and try to learn. My hunt club has purchased 4 licensed channels to use for hunting. We're in the process of purchasing mobiles for our trucks. We are looking at the Kenwood TM-281a. However my concern is the tx frequency range. I read that it only goes up to 148.000 but our frequencies start at 151. What would be a good mobile to use for this for under $200 or, preferably, around $150?

Understand, that the radio is meant to be for the ham radio bands, not for frequencies out of band.
Why not buy an inexpensive commercial radio, and they are out there for less than $200, to operate properly on the club's frequencies?
You'll be legal and cause less interference.
Larry

n5ims

Be aware that commercial radios in the US (and most other countries as well) require certification by the FCC (or appropriate agency in those other countries) to be used on the assigned frequencies. That would require Part-90 certification in the US. A typical ham radio, such as the Kenwood TM-281a, will not have this certification. There's no reason to risk your new license or huge fines by using a uncertified radio on those new frequencies. Especially when you can find certified radios (not high-quality ones, but at least legal ones) for the same price as a new ham radio (or often for even less).

As stated by an earlier poster, a used commercial radio (make sure it will work on your licensed frequency, especially note that is must be narrow-band) is one very good option. They can be found quite inexpensive and should be totally legal. Just make sure (as I stated earlier, but since it's important, I'll repeat it here) it works on the frequency you're licensed for; works with the emission code(s) you're licensed for (that narrow-band thing), and has the necessary FCC Part-90 certification.

Also, there are several cheap Chinese radios on the market that have valid Part-90 certifications. Those are basically throw-away radios, but at the price, this shouldn't be an issue.

LEIXEN LX VV-898 Dual Band VHF/UHF 136-174/400-470MHz 10W Two Way Radio Mobile Transceiver - Main Trading Company is one example of a cheap mobile. Baofeng UV-5RM HP 7 Watt Tri Power Hand Held Dual-Band Transceiver - Main Trading Company is one example of a cheap handheld.

Be aware that folks may not believe that they're Part-90 certified for use, or that the company lied on their certification form and shouldn't be certified (this is a topic for another thread so please no comments here on that issue). If the radio has a Part-90 certification number on its information sticker, you at least have the claim that you tried to follow the rules and believed their notification. It may also be a good idea to verify with the seller that it is indeed certified for Part-90 use (gives you another point for trying to be legal). If the certification turns out to be false (or is revoked later due to false information in the application), you should be in good standing to have your use be covered and most likely help you get your radio replaced by a legal-legal one since you acted in good faith.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I will second what the N8IAA said.

Personally I'm a Kenwood guy. I operate on both ham frequencies using my TM-V71a, and I also operate on LMR frequencies using a NX-700. Before I got it I used, on LMR and ham, a TK-760. I also own and use(have used) a bunch of different TK/NX series radios.

From a mobile stand point, I would look at the TK-780 and TK-760g series.

While the specs show they operate from 148MHz and up, they will go down to 144MHz with no tuning. I see you are studying for your technician license. The software will warn you if you program below 148MHz but will still allow it for both of these radios. Both these models can be found used for well under $200 on the used market. Be aware though they may not be supported any longer by Kenwood or Kenwood dealers.

I have owned a TK-760HG-1 for 4 or 5 years now, and it is a solid performer, reliable, and great audio. As well the faceplate can be reversed to allow the speaker to fire up or down. I have never needed a external speaker for it.

If you want something current, look at the TK-7180. It is in production, operates from 136-174MHz, can be found in both 25w and 50w models (TK-7180H is high power) and can be found for well under $300 on the used market. Because the speaker is front firing, it is rather small, and does not have the same quality sound as the TK-760/780 radios, I would recommend getting an external speaker for it. While I do not own a TK-7180 I do own a 400-470MHz version, the TK-8180HK-2, great radio.

Side note: the Tk-7180 can be remote mounted. Surplus 2-way radio sells remote kits for $100 on Ebay

If you Yahoo/Google-fu, the software can be found for all three radios. Programming cables are inexpensive on Ebay. $30 shipped to your door would be the top end for a non OEM programming cable.

Vertex Standard makes ok radios as well as Icom. While neither are my preferred brands, they are likely people here on this board that do like them better than Kenwood.

Please steer away from modified ham gear. It is not the right tool for LMR use.

This will likely start a heated debate, and I will probably get flamed by those that love the Cheap Chinese Radios but I really do not care.

I would steer clear of the 'Cheap Chinese Radios' by companies like Anytone, Baofeng, Pofung, Wouxon, Leixen or anything else similar to that.

While the price might be attractive, the quirks, questionable FCC certifications, lousy receiver performance and poor quality control will leave you wishing you did not buy them.

For a bit more money upfront, you will get better bang for your buck long term, from companies like Kenwood, Vertex Standard, Tait, Hytera, Icom and Motorola. Radios that will last, are actually FCC certified for LMR use, and have long histories in the LMR business.

If you shop wisely on the used market, you can buy what you need, for less than what the TM-281 retails for.

Good luck on getting your technician license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rob41

Gentlemen light your flame throwers.
Actually, that's what I was expecting. Knowing how forums work and the usual responses given, I did try and did a search for an answer to my question first to no avail. So, I bit the bullet and asked knowing I would probably get some honest answers and get flamed at the same time. BUT....the responses haven't been that bad....YET. Just to clarify...I have just started to study for my technician and am still learning about the types of radios and fcc compliances. Thanks for any and all help.

KK4TTR

Good luck, Rob41. We were all just starting to study at some point.

Kudo's to your club for purchasing licenses. There's a lot of hunters operating in violation of FCC regulations.

I believe the flamethrower response was in reference to kayn1n32008. I have Poxun HT's and haven't programmed out of frequency. You mentioned you will be installing mobile radios. An HT programmed on the frequencies your club is using would allow you to monitor while you're away from the vehicle. Or you can get an LMR HT, but I'll bet you can't beat $30 for it. /flamethrower.

kayn1n32008 is exactly right, stay away from cheap chinese mobile, as opposed to not cheap, since some of it is made in China nowadays anyway. The mobile off brand radios aren't up to par with the known brand mobile radios. HT's however, are a different story, and I'll go to the mat before I spend 3 - 4x for a radio that does the same thing as one for a third or fourth of the $ /rant

I can't speak from experience for anything other than the amateur bands. I know the chinese HT's can be programmed for out of ham bands, but I haven't needed to. It might be worth looking depending on your particular circumstances /beating-dead-horse

Whatever you do, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

rob41

Good luck, Rob41. We were all just starting to study at some point.

Kudo's to your club for purchasing licenses. There's a lot of hunters operating in violation of FCC regulations.

I believe the flamethrower response was in reference to kayn1n32008. I have Poxun HT's and haven't programmed out of frequency. You mentioned you will be installing mobile radios. An HT programmed on the frequencies your club is using would allow you to monitor while you're away from the vehicle. Or you can get an LMR HT, but I'll bet you can't beat $30 for it. /flamethrower.

kayn1n32008 is exactly right, stay away from cheap chinese mobile, as opposed to not cheap, since some of it is made in China nowadays anyway. The mobile off brand radios aren't up to par with the known brand mobile radios. HT's however, are a different story, and I'll go to the mat before I spend 3 - 4x for a radio that does the same thing as one for a third or fourth of the $ /rant

I can't speak from experience for anything other than the amateur bands. I know the chinese HT's can be programmed for out of ham bands, but I haven't needed to. It might be worth looking depending on your particular circumstances /beating-dead-horse

Whatever you do, enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply and info. We have HTs (baofengs), but some of the guys were looking for mobiles and I was trying to assist them in getting the proper radio. We were using CBs but we have over 3000 acres of land and the CBs just weren't cutting it, and forget about FRS. I was complaining that some of them were using marine VHF and was able to convince them to purchase the license to avoid any trouble. I'll agree on the cost of the HTs, that's why we went with the Baofengs. If they get dropped in the mud or from a tree stand, were not out that much $ versus a higher end radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Actually, that's what I was expecting. Knowing how forums work and the usual responses given, I did try and did a search for an answer to my question first to no avail. So, I bit the bullet and asked knowing I would probably get some honest answers and get flamed at the same time. BUT....the responses haven't been that bad....YET. Just to clarify...I have just started to study for my technician and am still learning about the types of radios and fcc compliances. Thanks for any and all help.

Good luck on the license.

There have been some great replies to is thread, and surprisingly no flame-throwing!

I have tried to give the best advice, while admitting my personal preferences. IMHO.

Good luck with what ever you do!

slapshot0017

For what you want I would suggest maybe a Motorola spectra or an older Kenwood TK series rig. I would say something with high power if you're gonna be working simplex through the mountains or even repeaters.

If you're gonna be a ham I would suggest for you personally to get a Kenwood TM-V71A. Beautiful radio. Little on the expensive side, but definitely worth it and very, very, easy to modify to go out of band. If you want to go the "legal" route then just one of the radios I suggested above it just wont be dual band.

Good luck on everything! Any more questions just PM me and i'll go into more detail.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
For what you want I would suggest maybe a Motorola spectra or an older Kenwood TK series rig. I would say something with high power if you're gonna be working simplex through the mountains or even repeaters.

If you're gonna be a ham I would suggest for you personally to get a Kenwood TM-V71A. Beautiful radio. Little on the expensive side, but definitely worth it and very, very, easy to modify to go out of band. If you want to go the "legal" route then just one of the radios I suggested above it just wont be dual band.

Good luck on everything! Any more questions just PM me and i'll go into more detail.

3000acres is not all that big... Less than 5sq mi. No need for a super high power radio. A Motorola Spectra is not something to look at. Between the leaky caps, need for DOS, and a full on RIB setup... TK-760HG or TK-7180HK should work just fine.

slapshot0017

3000acres is not all that big... Less than 5sq mi. No need for a super high power radio. A Motorola Spectra is not something to look at. Between the leaky caps, need for DOS, and a full on RIB setup... TK-760HG or TK-7180HK should work just fine.

That sounds fine, as much as I love Kenwood Motorola's DMR equipment has me hooked, but anyway the size of the land doesn't matter its the terrain. I mean 50 watts should get you much farther than you need but if you're at elevation 0 and so is you're buddy on the other side of a 2000 foot high ridge 2 miles away you're not getting anything through, plain and simple.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I deleted a bunch of garbage posts.

Any further childish crap will results in infractions.

Why can't we all just get along??? :(

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Deleted a couple more.

I have no problem with the technical discussions, but when the bickering starts the technical side gets lost in all the garbage.

You can discuss the merits of your opinions in the Tavern, oh wait, I see you are already both doing that. :D

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Actually he got added to the ignore list. I have a ery hard time letting stupid posts stand with out challanging the bad info. Sorry to make you delete a bunch of posts... if anything i wrote earned an infraction i understand... stupid people tend to get me infractions cause i wont hold back from calling them out

mformby

VHF Mobile radio

You should be able to find a Motorola CM200 mobile on ebay for less than $200. 45 watts VHF with 4 channels. Great little radios. I sold hundreds of them for school buses, garbage trucks, fork lifts, etc.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Icom F-5021's can be had new for about $230 each. They run 50 watts. I don't know what the license you mentioned allows so I dont know if that is more than needed. If they got a license for 4 frequencies I would think they might me itinerant licenses.

They will work quite well on ham bands as well, unless the rumors about the new ones being locked to NFM are true (not sure). BTW, that is something to be aware of ... any newly certified part 90 radio isnt supposed to be WFM capable, which you will want if you also are considering using them on the ham bands.

The software and cable to program them will run about $100 bucks, and you only need one of those to do everyone's radios.

Don't forget that you will need to buy antennas as well.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Check out Tecnet mobiles. They are essentially Kenwood clones but for a price closer to $200 for an analog, 512 channel radio with two tone, 5 tone, MDC, etc.

Software is free from Tecnet, programming cable runs around $15.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Check out Tecnet mobiles. They are essentially Kenwood clones but for a price closer to $200 for an analog, 512 channel radio with two tone, 5 tone, MDC, etc.

Software is free from Tecnet, programming cable runs around $15.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are pretty good radios if you can find them the MVP GE 40 watt radios work good and not a lot of money.......

Status
Not open for further replies.