ALEA Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner_Rider

Decatur F troop still uses 158.790 ,155.445 and 159,030 but now sometimes F units contact "Decatur" and other times F troop units and units of other troops contact ALEA North , which is the same Decatur dispatch.

The dispatch base name change started a couple days ago but F troop units are still patrolling from the Tennessee line down to Jefferson county and I can copy them easily 155.445 and 158.790 as they use both of the frequencies on repeater.

When the cars and base use the 159.030 its is sometimes choppy and even the base will tell the patrol unit they are unable to copy and both will switch to one of the other frequencies or use cell phone.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Jacksonville Post

I heard the same thing today, units were talking to the Jacksonville Post then I heard ALEA North talking.
I thought Jacksonville had changed but apparently it must have been Decatur talking on 155.445 as ALEA North.
Jacksonville's Post audio is very low and it’s hard to hear Dispatch.
ALEA North post was loud and clear so it surprised me when I heard them..

kcoleman

Hearing the same hear for Montgomery, using ALEA Central. And there seems to be some simulcast going on between Alex City, Opelika, and Montgomery after hours... I'm hearing the same units and Post on all three of their frequencies.

joejo95

Premium Subscriber
The units on the Opelika freq. for the past few days will say Opelika Dispatch then real quick say
ALEA Central. This is day or night.

Scanner_Rider

Decatur is now ALEA North but I have also heard the Florence or Muscle Shoals dispatch as ALEA North a couple times and ALEA North is still dispatching on graveyard Shift as far south as Jeff Co.

Maybe ALEA North has the option of stretching east to west as its dispatch zone, ALEA Central B'han . Opelika and ALEA South Dothan over to Mobile.

When I heard ALEA North in the quad city area maybe they were just on the repeater there.

Even though a lot of the county troop posts are now closed, I think the patrol units still have access to them if they need base station server access in case their patrol unit MDT is frozen or crashed.

Last week I heard a F troop unit tell dispatch he had to go to the "25 county field office" to send in a report.

I know that before they switched to lettered troops , each county was troop number whatever the county was and if I recall correctly , the Cullman troop post 25 was deactivated and consolidated many years ago , so it may be the "25 field office" I heard mention of.

Although troopers are spread thin now , I suspect if they had to deactivate and consolidate due to personnel shortages , they would try to keep a troop post in each county if only as a field office for computer access and in case they get enough personnel and funding to reactivate the mothballed posts.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Though I would have never dreamed this would ever happen, there is no longer a radio room in Birmingham. Well, the room and equipment may actually still be there for the time being but the communications staff isn’t.

Attrition (whatever that means) and transfers will probably determine how many other Posts/Field Offices/Lean Tos remain with comm centers after all is said and done.

Back in the eighties when talk of a statewide interop radio system was being discussed and sort of implemented, DPS comm centers were to be reduced to Decatur, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile. All personnel from other posts were to be transferred.

I remember worrying about the transfer possibility (Quad*Cities to Decatur for me) for close to a minute and twelve seconds after learning about the plan. Then, I remembered the DPS way and calmed down.

medic9351301

Banned
Has anyone narrowed down the freqs for the dispatch centers.
I have
154.920 as central
155.445 as jacksonville post
Thats all i have plz lets get a good list up

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Jacksonville Trooper Post Communications

Jacksonville Trooper Post Communications was handed over to ALEA Central on Sunday Nov. 01, 2015 at around 10:00 PM.
Freq.'s were: 155.445 - 151.4 PL & 154.920 - 151.4 PL, patched together on dispatch side only.
Dispatch was patched to both freq.'s but Mobile Units were on their individual area or county repeaters.
Normal traffic resumed, I think on Monday with Jacksonville Post taking over their area's dispatching.
Not sure if other areas were patched at the same time but I only heard Trooper Units from the Jacksonville or Birmingham areas talking.
Jacksonville Post has always done their own dispatching or communications for as long as I can remember,
so that was surprise to hear ALEA Central Dispatching for them.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Jacksonville Trooper Post Communications was handed over to ALEA Central on Sunday Nov. 01, 2015 at around 10:00 PM.
Freq.'s were: 155.445 - 151.4 PL & 154.920 - 151.4 PL, patched together on dispatch side only.
Dispatch was patched to both freq.'s but Mobile Units were on their individual area or county repeaters.
Normal traffic resumed, I think on Monday with Jacksonville Post taking over their area's dispatching.
Not sure if other areas were patched at the same time but I only heard Trooper Units from the Jacksonville or Birmingham areas talking.
Jacksonville Post has always done their own dispatching or communications for as long as I can remember,
so that was surprise to hear ALEA Central Dispatching for them.
Another retirement of a long time voice and former colleague…one of the best statewide! Jacksonville was a radio room staffed with seasoned PCOs with little change in staff in many many years! Plus, there wasn't a bad one in the bunch! ALEA/DPS has lost a huge chunk of experience that will be very difficult to match and never outdone. Sadly, I don't think anyone in Montgomery realizes or even cares.

They are dwindling away more rapidly these days. As they go, shifts are cut, post radio rooms are closed. I feel the change beyond a monitoring standpoint. Especially now in November as I reflect on starting state service thirty-four years ago.

The Quad*Cities Post still has four PCOs. Three are in the middle of their careers and one hasn't very long to retirement. They and counterparts in other radio rooms will have to make a choice of transferring to ALEA Comm Centers or to other positions like Driver License Technicians. Please keep them in your positive vibes and thoughts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.