ICAO-24 bf68b6

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

This evening, I was tracking an aircraft via my ads-b (RTLSDR) setup with an ICAO-24 of
bf68b6 and it was beaconing a registration of "ufo" with and either (I forget which) a nation or ident of "ufo" It was not sending out position data. It was at 2700 feet or so for a while, before later showing up at 17000, before I lost the signal.

Any ideas what this might be?

THX in advance

S

sovereign06

TCAS, ADS-B Unreliable on East Coast During September

TCAS, ADS-B Unreliable on East Coast During September | Aerospace News: Aviation International News

"ADS-B surveillance and some TCAS operations in the airspace over Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida might become unreliable as of September 2 at 1 a.m. EDT, according to a Notam the FAA issued on September 1. The outages are due to events the agency labeled as “late notice from the Department of Defense of military exercises.” NBAA “voiced its concern to the FAA that these sort of significant impact tests need much more notice to operators in the National Airspace System.”

The outages are scheduled to last until midnight October 1. In addition to the areas of concern noted in domestic airspace, the FAA said the outages might well extend up to 200-nm offshore.

The agency said one outage symptom could be the tracks of nearby aircraft first appearing close to the primary aircraft that immediately switch to a traffic alert/resolution alert status on TCAS. Pilots should maintain a heightened watch on the airspace around them and report any incidents of nearby aircraft they believe should have generated alerts, but did not. The relevant Notam numbers are 5/2817, 5/2818, 5/2819, 5/2820 and 5/2834.

In an update released on September 4, the FAA said, “No pilots have reported anomalies with TCAS or ADS-B attributed to similar military activities the FAA has supported in the past. The FAA considers the likelihood of any potential anomalies to be extremely remote, but has established protocols to mitigate the effects, should they occur. The FAA’s radar systems in the area are not affected by the military activity, and air traffic controllers will continue to provide safe separation of aircraft, as they normally do.”

In addition, NBAA said it expects the blanket 30-day Notam “will be withdrawn and more tailored Notams will be issued for smaller windows of time that will also more clearly state that anomalies with TCAS or ADS-B are extremely unlikely but nonetheless provide reporting instructions should pilots encounter any issues.” In addition, the FAA said it has communications in place to request the military immediately cease any electronic exercise activities if an anomaly is reported."

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
THX but thats not it

I'm in Lafayette, LA which is at least 400 miles from any of those affected areas. On the contrary
I am confident I was getting a reliable decode and was tracking 30 or so other aircraft quite properly.
Nothing about this track seemed improper, it just seems that someone was being deliberately being
sneaky.

JB

D

DaveNF2G

Lower case hex codes are not actual aircraft codes. They are being retransmitted by other aircraft in the area that have that capability (usually the larger airliners).

freqhopping

Lower case hex codes are not actual aircraft codes. They are being retransmitted by other aircraft in the area that have that capability (usually the larger airliners).

:confused:

I think it's more like the OP just didn't bother to capitalize the letters.

Mis-coded transponder. Fairly common. Last night I tracked and eventually partially identified a plane using 810B4E. It showed up on Flightradar24 via MLAT so I had a good idea where it was. That with the altitude I knew which frequencies to tune to listen for it. I determined it was a Dash8 flying as UCA360. I still don't know it's registration.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
It was in CAPS

Sorry, didn't know it made a difference. The ICAO-24 did log properly with capital letters.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.