BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Firmware Wish: Auto Start Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I'd like Uniden to include in the Settings menu the ability to toggle Auto Start Recording on power up.
Such that it would start automatically after every powerup and after every list select change (basically, if something would normally cause recording to stop, if auto start is enabled, it would automatically start again), and would not prompt "Start Recording? [datetime...]".

troymail

Silent Key
+1 - I asked the same long ago - like many other things - silence.

Of course, if they did this, they'd also have to fix the problem with the rebooting first. Otherwise, there's the possibility that the radio would just keep rebooting over and over again.

Even better would be a combination/user options for full time and/or selective recording.

Voyager

It really doesn't even have to be an auto-start. Just make the user RECORD setting sticky (write it to the card on power-down, and read it on power-up). If you had RECORD enabled, it stays enabled. If it's disabled, it stays disabled.

D

darunimal

I concur, that would make "Record", 1 more setting, I didn't have to adjust; causing less key wear (and tear) over the duration of owning the scanner.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is something I asked for with the first HP1 I bought and have wanted ever since.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms and spreading sludge everywhere - what's the "rebooting problem"?

kandrey89

Feed Provider
The reboot problem is when the radio randomly or as of yet due to an unknown condition or cause reboots, thus erasing latest radio settings which have not been written to disk (settings are written at controlled power down event) and stopping recording.

Voyager

All the times I've heard of it (save one user), a new card fixed it. It was surmised that the bad card took too long to write and the CPU reset which caused the reboot.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've used the same high-quality SanDisk 32GB red-and-grey cards in my 436 and 536 ever since I bought them - one card each, never changed or swapped out - and have recording enabled all the time the radios are running. The 536 has been going constantly since it was purchased (about a year after it was released) and the 436 is my daily use radio which I've had longer than the 536, and I've never experienced rebooting. (I have had a radio shut down suddenly but that was related to extremely low battery.) I'm inclined to believe that this is related to a bad card, as Voyager suggested.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I've used the same high-quality SanDisk 32GB red-and-grey cards in my 436 and 536 ever since I bought them - one card each, never changed or swapped out - and have recording enabled all the time the radios are running. The 536 has been going constantly since it was purchased (about a year after it was released) and the 436 is my daily use radio which I've had longer than the 536, and I've never experienced rebooting. (I have had a radio shut down suddenly but that was related to extremely low battery.) I'm inclined to believe that this is related to a bad card, as Voyager suggested.

Just to add to Jay's... I've been using a Samsung 16G EVO card in my 436. Have not seen any issues of corruption or rebooting. At least not yet I haven't.

OP's idea. That would be a definite Plus.

troymail

Silent Key

I guess you're just been really lucky - or many others of us have been really unlikely and have gotten repeated "bad cards" from various sources and manufacturers.

In the past I've heard others suggest the problems may be caused by removal and reinserting the cards and that's possible but if you do alot of recording, you have no choice but to pull the cards periodically because transferring the recordings over the cable takes far too long.

Do you do "user" recording on your cards? What's the most Gbs of recordings you've ever gotten on any card before you deleted or transferred them off? If you transfer them, do you do that over the cable?

I just don't buy the idea that all of these cards are "bad".

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I guess you're just been really lucky - or many others of us have been really unlikely and have gotten repeated "bad cards" from various sources and manufacturers.

In the past I've heard others suggest the problems may be caused by removal and reinserting the cards and that's possible but if you do alot of recording, you have no choice but to pull the cards periodically because transferring the recordings over the cable takes far too long.

Do you do "user" recording on your cards? What's the most Gbs of recordings you've ever gotten on any card before you deleted or transferred them off? If you transfer them, do you do that over the cable?

I just don't buy the idea that all of these cards are "bad".

Is this card problem predominately with the 4G SanDisc cards that come with units?

troymail

Silent Key
Is this card problem predominately with the 4G SanDisc cards that come with units?

I can't recall what happened with the original SD card(s) that came with my radios. I jumped to larger cards early on to capture a larger number of recordings over a longer period of time. That has turned out to be a total waste of money for these radios as I have never gotten more than maybe (at most) 3Gbs on any card before the radio(s) start rebooting.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I can't recall what happened with the original SD card(s) that came with my radios. I jumped to larger cards early on to capture a larger number of recordings over a longer period of time. That has turned out to be a total waste of money for these radios as I have never gotten more than maybe (at most) 3Gbs on any card before the radio(s) start rebooting.

I might just have to let my 436 sit and record and see if it does the same thing at 3G.

Voyager

Or it might be something done on the operations side that is the difference. For example, I know some people connect the scanner to the battery subjecting it to starter spikes which could damage the card. Others remove power without shutting down which is known to have potential to cause corruption.

There is a reason some people are having issues and others are not. I'm inclined to believe that the OEM cards may be more susceptible even though I've never had any issues personally (but I also am careful to respect proper protection for electronics).

But, someone having repeated issues is a red flag that there may be some external influence involved.

... or you might just be unlucky as you suggested. :D

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I'm putting a stop to it in this thread as it's offtopic.

STOP TALKING ABOUT REBOOTS, IT'S OFFTOPIC IN THIS THREAD!
I REALLY NEED THE STICKY RECORDING OPTION!

Having to press "Do I want to fking charge the batteries or not" is as annoying as fk as it is.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
That would be a good feature to have.

The reboot problem is due to bad cards, or incompatible cards, plus is a entirely different topic. The Uniden are very picky, seem to have best luck with SanDisk Class 4 cards had no issues since using those and pointless to use anything higher speed, as X36HP radios limits the cards operation to Class 4 speeds. Even with the GRE/Whistler/RadioShack I recommend using SanDisk Class 4 card and no higher then 16GB and 8GB seem to be the sweet spot. It usually what I give customer back when repairing the scanners and don't seem to get complaints on those SD cards and use them in my scanners as well. Yes the GRE/Whistler/RadioShack has the issue as well when using different brand cards.. They just show up as lockup and stay at logo when booting up when card gets corrupted. Yes improperly power down scanner, or disconnecting scanner from USB port without unmounting card will corrupt SD card as well. That will be saved for a different topic later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.