Rankin County Fire VHF Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Okay, after doing some testing and research within rankin county's dispatch system I have figured something out. The VHF channel that is listed as a "fire paging" channel in the database is sorta true sorta not. One of 5 dispatch consoles rankin county sheriffs office has actually is set up with that channel added on the transmit when they go to talk on the 800mhz county fire anything the dispatcher says also goes to the VHF but you will not hear any units just replies to the units from dispatch. After about a week of listening I would not say it would be the first thing to listen to if you want to hear what's going on. Being only one console has it its just luck of the day that maybe the fire dispatcher is sitting at that one console but I've noticed in a week of a radio programmed to that channel only 2 nights have I heard anything while my 800mhz would be going crazy with traffic. Also if it's busy and a second dispatcher is assisting in fire and the primary fire dispatcher is actually on the console programmed to tx on the VHF also you wouldn't hear what they are saying due to them not being on that console. We no longer use minitor pagers as of years ago because the barrow banding mandate the county decided the alpha numeric pagers were cheaper than a whole new fleet of minitors and new everything else. My best guess is that being most all fire departments around rankin have a VHF mobile radio plugged into the wall using a converter in the chiefs office and 80% of all the fire trucks in rankin still have the old VHF radios from when they were retired 20 years ago, we just keep moving them up every time we get a new truck and install them in it so I figure being the channels have been the same forever it seems like that county fire on the VHF radios can be used as a backup if system failure. It's the same channel as the VHF 154.0100 page out is on the database. With rankin county under supplying volunteers in MSWIN radios I'll soon be having a talk to see if maybe when MSWIN system is implemented that maybe we install the VHF radio channel on all of them so we can hear the nature of the call vs the crappy alerts on the text pagers. I'll keep everyone updated on that but figured I would let everyone know on some information regarding that channel.

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Rankin County FD & Other Mississipppi VHF FD Freq's.

I'm not meaning to hijack your thread fellows but I've been polling a great majority of the Magnolia States fire departments before a lengthy visit to Brandon & it appears that approximately 70% of them dispatch on VHF high band pretty much within the FCC allocated frequencies from 153.77 MHz to 154.445 MHz while a small number are utilizing UHF frequencies while the remaining 20% seem to have transitioned to the MSWIN trunked system, from that presumption I guess all a visitor would need is a VHF high band scanner with a high gain base antenna to receive quite a lot of Mississippi's fire calls or has MISWIN absorbed more then the RR database shows? Thanks for your time.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
75% of MS FD's are analog VHF High Band. Of the rest, they use 800 MHz TRS's, UHF, MSWIN, a couple using LTR, and a few use DMR VHF High, or UHF. of the ones on MSWIN and County/Municipal TRS's, most of them still Tone Out on the VHF High Band. You want an scanner capable of doing CTCSS/CDCSS (PL/DPL) tones to differentiate between users as MS is an area that is quite prolific for Tropo Ducting, especially in the Fall.

In the Jackson Metro area, you want to hear the local FD's you will need an digital capable trunker. All Rankin County FD's are paged on VHF, and ops are on the Rankin County TRS (Analog). Hinds County pages on VHF, and ops on the Hinds County TRS (Digital) with the exception of currently Byram that is pure MSWIN. City of Jackson is pure Hinds County TRS (Digital), with no VHF or UHF paging anymore. Madison County is VHF with primarily analog, with some digital capabilities. Simpson County FD's are mainly VHF conventional with a couple using the Simpson County LTR TRS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
VHF vs. Trunked

The radio monoliths vigorously suggest that any trunked system they dump on the uninformed must adhere to fake US Government P25 digital mandate So I guess I must upgrade from a 15X to a 996xlt, thanks for the info.

SCPD

QRT
Channel is officially dead.

This channel seems officially dead, there is nothing but garble tv sounds when it loses reception on there now, it's open transmitting that sound with no interruptions. Haven't heard voices in over a week. Probably taken down to allocate room for MSWIN equipment.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Not anymore, as of march of 2015 they have moved to mswin except the vfd, ridgland Madison (city) and madison s.o. have moved to mswin.
Canton is the only city that is fulltime vhf on f.d. and p.d. side!

Yes the Cities of Madison and Ridgeland are MSWIN. SO is on NXDN, but do have some MSWIN radios and the one assigned TG. SO has mentioned possibility of going MSWIN in future as of the last few months worth of MWCC minutes, but has gone full time on the new NXDN system (They claim coverage issues, but there is actually excellent coverage for the MSWIN in Madison County.. Political Gaming as usual.. See other thread on this) . EMA and County VFD's are still analog VHF. Canton is also still VHF.

And the Rankin TRS Upgrade to MSWIN FCC app is in pending status. ULS Application - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked - 0006982551 - Rankin, County of - Frequency Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.