Dare County Law TGs to go silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
As of yesterday, DCSO Dispatch, and Beach Law have been abandoned for full time encrypted talk groups. Just so everyone doesn't wonder why there's no traffic on said talkgroups.

kc4jgc

That's disappointing to hear.... Has this been planned for a while or is this a reaction to the attacks against LEO's across thr country?

KX4KDH

Database Admin
It is kind of disappointing. The Sheriff has been wanting to do this for a while now. The main complaints are the online scanner feed, and constant phone calls to the comm center asking "Why are you running my cousin Bubba's license plate?", and "What is going on two doors down from me, and why aren't the police there yet?".

I'm also going to surmise that the rash of attacks on law enforcement has something to do with it, also.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
It is kind of disappointing. The Sheriff has been wanting to do this for a while now. The main complaints are the online scanner feed, and constant phone calls to the comm center asking "Why are you running my cousin Bubba's license plate?", and "What is going on two doors down from me, and why aren't the police there yet?".

I'm also going to surmise that the rash of attacks on law enforcement has something to do with it, also.

I hope you're kidding about people calling about running their cousins license plate.....

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I was notified of this the other day; it's interesting to hear the reasons though.

Sorry, but hiding activities behind encryption isn't going to help law enforcement's already poor PR image. Oh well, I know who not to vote for sheriff when the next election comes around.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Well I guess the silver lining in all of this is now I won't rage every time an officer decides to do ID checks while there is a structure fire happening.

Anyways, the online feed name change has been submitted and will now be called "Dare County Fire, EMS, and Ocean Rescue". All links should stay the same though. I may add in some non P-25 stuff back in (such as KDH Ocean Rescue Ops) but it looks like there will be quite a bit more silence on the airwaves now.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I heard today that some guys breaking into house last winter in Avon had the scanner app running when they were caught by deputies. Makes for an interesting point. It'll also be interesting to see if any unencrypted law talkgroups become active again during hurricanes and such.

robschonk

Couple of times Ive heard folks I know names being run.

Always surprised me when they used SSNs on the air.

stowaway

Was wondering what was up, and it makes my decision to get a new scanner a lot easier. :(

WA4MJF

Why would they change talk groups? Seems they would just turn on the Encrypt switch on their radios and stay on the same TG. Is there a technical reason that would not work.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Why would they change talk groups? Seems they would just turn on the Encrypt switch on their radios and stay on the same TG. Is there a technical reason that would not work.

The OP in the first post says the original TG'S have been abandoned for encrypted ones.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Three new encrypted talkgroups were created for LEO dispatch. I'm assuming they could revert back to the originals during storms and such, and I'm willing to bet that will happen during the next big event.

SCPD

QRT
Nope... Cousins, brothers, whomever. It happens all the time. Heck, visitors call 911 to ask which way the beach is. No kidding.

No surprise with the calling in part. Happens in many areas. Officer patrolling randomly running 28s (plates) then mother of the teens call in at midnight minutes or seconds after the information is given back to the unit yelling at dispatcher why is my kid being harassed. Running a plate is not harassing. Also I'm sure the social profile groups that minute a csp or victim of a assault is broadcasted the for sale groups have gossip kind post the full call with names and other information describing exactly what happened and the name of victim which im sure the family and victim dont want public knowing then you get people posting on the police departments profile page insults, slander, dime a dozen questions specially when it involves a arrest or officer involoved incident with a shooting, cap stun or force used. It would be tiring I'm sure to get the paranoid crowd to keep posting your calls non stop and victims names, license numbers and addresses on those for sale groups. In a sense people did it to themselves. So I'd blame those kind over the agency itself for deciding to. I've seen more so of that posted when there is a death and people posted it all before the family could officially be contacted about it. So as technology progresses and the dangers to way information is passed now days it is a inevitable end for most systems.

SCPD

QRT

Id suspect they have new TGs for either reason, the deployment of loading and rolling out new setup one by one everyday until all radios and consoles are ready to switch then everyone switches and is in same page with new setup with no hiccups or users out of loop comm wise. Second is maybe like mentioned the old would serve as a interop dispatch tg so in event of a mass storm or situation needing outside help they could revert it back and outsiders could communicate freely without anyone having to manually load keys in a command center unit to every single outsider. I'd pick the first though before that. Every agency is different and not all use a purple push button for secure comms and rather strap it to avoid user error.

WA4MJF

OK, not sure still, seems that the original TGs can't handle encrypted comms. My 2500 does not encrypt, or, at least, does not have a switch like Astro used to. Way back when we used inversion encryption on the Aerotrons we got right after the Mastr Pros, we just went on a simplex channel (even or above 10) and flipped the toggle switch added to lower left corner of control head and light came on and we were "secure".

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
If anyone has been keeping track of radio IDs for this system, it may be possible to determine what the encrypted channels are generally used for, channel plan, etc... by watching the RIDs with a Whistler/GRE scanner or Unitrunker on the encrypted talkgroups. They will likely be using the main channels in a similar fashion to how they did before and that way we could add the encrypted TGs to the database. Also, if someone could submit a database entry to note exactly which talkgroups are no longer regularly used, this would help with visitors getting confused as to why "their scanners are not working..." Something that would identify them as former dispatch/ops channels, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.