what systems would you like to recieve ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I would like members to post what they would need a scanner to receive in there area. In todays market it seems the top scanner companies have now produced the phase 2 p25. I want to know what those companies need to be working on. In my area the DMR systems are starting to pop up in the law enforcement and beach patrol fields. My father recently moved from Florida and he complained about not being able to hear the " Open Sky " systems which I don't have in my area but I think that is a system popping up more in other states.

What systems are in your area that your current digital scanner cant receive and it really pisses you off as a scanner user ?

mike619

I would like to recieve Mototrbo systems and LTR passport trunked systems.

RayAir

OpenSky: Limited on what I can listen to now. Would like to be able to scan entire ststem.
DMR: I made my own scanners out of DMR radios by using DSD+, but a scanner that could follow Cap+ and Con+ would be cool.
NXDN- low priority. Few systems around here.

I would say DMR is probably going to be the most value adding to a scanner.

Voyager

Open Sky has been built in many places and failed in all but one state (PA) and maybe one or two small systems. It is hardly "popping up more" based on it's reputation of failure.

Yes, DMR is likely one of the most popular modes that IS popping up everywhere, but a big issue with that is that encryption is only a mouse-click away, and will likely be implemented should scanners come on the market that will decode it (AOR notwithstanding). Some systems are already doing that in light of programs like DSD.

NXDN may soon be the popular request mode since railroads are going that route, and there are a lot of railfans out there.

N8IAA

Open Sky has been built in many places and failed in all but one state (PA) and maybe one or two small systems. It is hardly "popping up more" based on it's reputation of failure.

Yes, DMR is likely one of the most popular modes that IS popping up everywhere, but a big issue with that is that encryption is only a mouse-click away, and will likely be implemented should scanners come on the market that will decode it (AOR notwithstanding). Some systems are already doing that in light of programs like DSD.

NXDN may soon be the popular request mode since railroads are going that route, and there are a lot of railfans out there.

Please note that PA is building out a new P-25, Phase I system that is replacing the OpenSky statewide system.
Larry

RayAir

Isn't going to happen. Both are proprietary Motorola protocols, and they sell it based on the promotion scanners cannot follow it.

Well DSD+ 1.08+ can do it, so I see no reason a hardware device wouldn't be capable.

KG4EMJ

NXDN!

Everything around here is going NXDN. I really wish a scanner maker would work on this. I'm using a Kenwood NX-200 series radio right now and it does fine but a scanner would be nicer because then I could monitor P25 at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.