• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS License Now Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csuh13

Premium Subscriber
So, I've been wanting to get my GMRS ticket for a while now. I decided to wait until today, so it would be the lower $65 price. Well, I just went into ULS and did it and it didn't charge me anything! Did the fee drop to zero, or is this a leftover snafu from the FCC IT upgrade?

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I saw elsewhere that at least two people were able to apply for free as well. Dunno if this is a glitch or permanent. Sadly, mine isn't up for renewal yet (I tried, it would not let me).

zikada

I was able to submit my ZA application without any charge/fee as well.

This is quite the surprise... :D

grem467

I wonder if they will actually get issued or if they will get set aside or denied.

So far they have just allowed the application. It will be interesting to see if anyone actually gets issued the license.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they will actually get issued or if they will get set aside or denied.

So far they have just allowed the application. It will be interesting to see if anyone actually gets issued the license.

I doubt they will grant the applications (and if they do I somehow think they'll probably revoke them and notify the licensee that they need to reapply?). This seems like a glitch; would require another act of congress to remove the registration fee, just like they needed one to drop the regulatory fee, no?

There is no info on the FCC's site about this specifically; has anyone heard anything from an official?

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
How long dose the license take to get approved then or when will I epext to get something?

zikada

Also seeing how their system has just only come back online after a major server migration I would think it's safe to assume that the application approval process will take some time. Especially if they're being flooded with free applications for the ZA license.

zikada

Here is a link to the PDF from the FCC and the fees:
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-15-59A1.pdf

That document says one thing about GMRS...

"We also remove amateur radio Vanity Call Signs and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) from the regulatory fee schedule. ^5"

"(5) We sought comment on eliminating these categories in our FY 2014 NPRM. Assessment and Collection of Regulatory Fees for Fiscal Year 2014, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Second Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, and Order, MD Docket No. 14 - 92, 29 FCC Rcd 6417, 6428 - 29, para. 32 (2014) (FY 2014 NPRM)."

It makes no mention of actual fee costs.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

I'm leaning towards denied...time will tell.

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
That document says one thing about GMRS...

"We also remove amateur radio Vanity Call Signs and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) from the regulatory fee schedule. ^5"

"(5) We sought comment on eliminating these categories in our FY 2014 NPRM. Assessment and Collection of Regulatory Fees for Fiscal Year 2014, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Second Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, and Order, MD Docket No. 14 - 92, 29 FCC Rcd 6417, 6428 - 29, para. 32 (2014) (FY 2014 NPRM)."

It makes no mention of actual fee costs.

22. The Commission will therefore eliminate the GMRS and Vanity Call Sign regulatory fee
categories after the required congressional notification is provided.
Once eliminated, these licensees
will no longer be financially burdened with such payments and the Commission will no longer incur these
administrative costs that exceed the fee payments. The revenue that the Commission would otherwise
collect from these regulatory fee categories will be proportionally assessed on other wireless fee
categories. This is a “permitted amendment” as defined in section 9(b)(3) of the Act, which, pursuant to
section 9(b)(4)(B, must be submitted to Congress at least 90 days before it becomes effective.62

grem467

Interestingly enough, we just did a new itinerant license for a customer and were charged the normal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.