Fire Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

A friend of mine asked me, Pertaining to any Fire Department, City / County. Who & how do they determine what number to give a Fire Chief, City / County ? When I was on my local City Fire department
in the 60 the Fire Chief call number was 306, how did they determine that number to give to him ?

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
It very city by city / county by county. I have seen some counties where the Director of Communication set up the city/ county radio ID numbers for all departments. Others the Emergency Management office set it up.

R

retiredmich

Thanks for the reply. for got to add this to my question, pertaining to any Fire Department in Ks, the number that is assigned to a Fire Chief / Asst Fire Chief ect, ect, does any one ELSE have that same number in a diff County in Ks, or is that number only used one time ?

Last edited:

Redneck0410

Here in Reno County, the fire chiefs of our 8 rural fire districts have radio numbers ending in 61 (161, 361, 461, 561, 761, 861, and 961). It's been like this as long as I can remember. In Hutchinson, the battalion chief used to have a radio number of 60, but that changed, if I remember correctly, about the time Hutchinson fire took over Reno County District 2, which covered the outskirts of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nec911

Thanks for the reply. for got to add this to my question, pertaining to any Fire Department in Ks, the number that is assigned to a Fire Chief / Asst Fire Chief ect, ect, does any one ELSE have that same number in a diff County in Ks, or is that number only used one time ?

In my twenty years here in Shawnee County, each agency decides on radio numbers for their personnel.

firefive76

In Osage County, the fire chief is their fire district number, then 01. Carbondale is Fire District 1, their chief is 101. Osage City is Fire District 2, their chief is 201, and so on.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Try being in Maine. Each county has the same numbers-The state police, wardens and such all have assigned numbers that no one else uses the counties use the same. Like in Knox County one town will be 4xx, well the prison uses 4xx on their local freq but on the state wide freq they use a four digit number. The local state police troop uses 4xx also but made it to be 42x so the little pd can use their 40x and above. Ive heard other counties say county name and a number for sheriff and town name and a number so its less confusing because you can pick up other counties on the radios. Its all confusing and no one wants to change. I heard my radio number when i was driving in another county on my day off and had the scanner going , if i was doing a transport to that county i would have heard it and answered back.

ecps92

Depends... more information is needed.

a. Who handles/coordinates your Radio system (County, Regional, self ?)
b. Is there a state policy ? Contact your State EMA, SWIC or Fire Chiefs Assoc

A friend of mine asked me, Pertaining to any Fire Department, City / County. Who & how do they determine what number to give a Fire Chief, City / County ? When I was on my local City Fire department
in the 60 the Fire Chief call number was 306, how did they determine that number to give to him ?

Status
Not open for further replies.