Dual Band Router Poor Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Cisco EA3500 dual band router which has turned out to be quite a poor wireless performer. I have Time Warner 300/20 internet service, and when I connect cable modem directly to PC ethernet port I get around 325/25 according to speedtest.net. I'm in an 1150 sq ft single story house, and the Cisco router will barely run 20/5 wireless other end of house. Previous Netgear router had no issues other than no gigabit ethernet ports. I have run both 2.4 and 5 gHz with no difference in speed noticed.
My question is: any advantage to running the same SSID and pass phrase concurrently on both 2.4 and 5 gHz? Currently I am using different SSID's for each. Nothing I do seems to improve the Cisco router's poor wireless performance.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Yep competition from Google Fiber has driven TWC to offer 300/20 for the same price as 50/5. Competition is good for the consumer!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Speed will be dependent on the path. Using separate SSID and pass phrases will let you know what you're connected to, but otherwise I don't see the advantage. You might want to check the router configuration to make sure it can select the optimum channels. I had problems a few years ago when my neighbor's router was on the same channel. This caused dropped connections and poor speed performance.

That being said, I now use an Apple Airport Extreme and two Airport Expresses to cover my entire house (2500 sq. ft.) They outperform various Link-sys, Netgear and Cisco routers I've tried and are much easier to configure. Yes, they are more expensive, but if you put any value on your time, it's worth it.

If you need more ports you can always get an inexpensive switch and connect it to the router.

KB0VWG

I have an Asus router and had it for over 2 years with no issues, The one I have came with a 2 year warranty. Ever since Belkin Purchased Linksys from Cisco the quality of there products are not the same.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

mrlindstrom

Premium Subscriber
I've never been happy with the built in wireless of consumer routers. Google just put out a possible exception to the rule with the OnHub, but you lose the multiple switched ethernet ports. Your best bet is to get a decent standalone WAP. I use a Ubiquiti one myself.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Well, I solved my wireless router issues by installing a new ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band router. The ASUS wireless router really rocks. Getting 335/23 from ethernet ports, and around 75/20 wireless all around the house.

Thanks for replies

CapStar362

which band are you getting the 75/20 from ? is the 40Mhz Channel Width Enabled? check your MTU Settings and if you are running QoS check to see if you are specifying a incorrect max bandwidth number.

my Comcast 105/20 gets 125/25 on both Ethernet AND both 2.4/5G WiFi's

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was done over 5G WiFi with another device streaming a netflix video on the LAN as of 5 minutes ago.

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/1039372004.png

if 40Mhz is enabled, then something is not right. if its still on the 20Mhz, then switch it to either 20/40 Co-exist or just plain out drop the 20MHz option altogether.

contrary to most people's beliefs, DO NOT USE a channel other than 1, 6 or 11.

all those other channels are for low bandwidth people because of the spacing in the band itself. and even at that, WiFi specifications call for 30MHz +/- from the Center of the Channel's frequency. 15MHz in each direction

so if you use channel 1, you are dipping into Channels 2 and 3 with the bandwidth spacing, as WiFi channels are only 5MHz apart in spacing. at least for the 2.4 GHz band.

id run a RF Tool such as inSSider and see how many other networks are in your local vicinity of YOUR router and devices.

read more here:

The WiFi Adjacent Channel Myth

The best way to differentiate between dual band. is make a SSID Name, then for the 5GHz band, add a -5G to the same SSID.

so my LAN, is Alpha and Alpha-5G.

This way you can have 1 password, but know which band you are connecting to.

Those Cisco EA series routers have been known to bog down after some time of use. routine power cycles are required for them.

my self i use Amped Wireless 600mW AP's tied into a Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch where a single AP provides the link for the two high power AP's. ( I recently changed this from a actual wired connection to the AP's ) this link is hidden and uses a static IP to talk to the Catalyst and the two AP's. everything else is DHCP. everything but the second floor of my 4700 SQ Foot house is wired with Cat 6 Gigabit. the AP's are located equally spaced on each side of the house on the first floor from a central point. the basement, first and second floor PLUS my 1.25 Acre Yard from street to backyard fence is covered with at least 3/5 bars of signal.

KB0 makes a very valid point. the longer the distance to the remote server, the less speed. because you have to bounce soo many nodes and the average user has ZERO clue what the node's capacity is, what its current load is, where node outages may be happening and offloading is going on.

Last edited:

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Cap. Running 5gHz only, channel to Auto, 40mHz bandwidth, and no QoS I get wireless download speeds around 125/23. Not sure about MTU settings. Pretty happy with Asus router after coming from the Cisco EA.

CapStar362

5GHz has piss poor object penetration .

i can have a 2.4 GHz signal from the same router showing 5/5 Strength and the 5GHz signal is 3/5 or even 2/5 on the same device in the exact same position.

5GHz is meant for short distance high bandwidth connections. 2.4GHz N band routers can easily touch 600 Mbps just on 2.4 alone. while aggregating Dual Simultaneous Bands will get you into 900 Mbps. once you cross into Gigabit WiFi now you are on AC type WiFi signals.

that Asus is a MIMO setup correct? multiple antenna's right? 3 IIRC?

so use the 2.4 for better penetration throughout the building. its a small building i see, but the 2.4 Coverage is far better for the WAN Side speeds you are using.

better reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

how many walls between router and opposite end of the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.