Penn State University LTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncaff

I noticed some Motorola PR400s floating around and the presence of the talk-permit-tone chirp when a user keys up. From my understanding, this is only possible via a LTR system for this radio (without the "DTMF hack" etc.) Does anyone have any info on a possible LTR system or why the PR400 would have the TPT active? I have not found any records of such a system at Penn State. Perhaps I am just overlooking something as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Centre Communications has systems in the area that may be used for whatever. Users usually pay per second of usage on their system. Depending on what those portables are used. Most of activities are on the 800 P25 TRS.

ncaff

Centre Communications has systems in the area that may be used for whatever. Users usually pay per second of usage on their system. Depending on what those portables are used. Most of activities are on the 800 P25 TRS.

Thank you for the reply, SlipNutz15. I have seen most activity at PSU on the 800 p25 trs or the 400 FM frequencies. Have seen no mention of an ltr system that these pr400s would be operating on in the RR database or from some google searching. Perhaps it is a privately owned system without a readily available record, but hard to believe PSU would rent time when they could use the analogue FM frequencies or 800 system. I was just curious if anyone had any further information. Thanks again!

ncaff

Thank you for the reply, SlipNutz15. I have seen most activity at PSU on the 800 p25 trs or the 400 FM frequencies. Have seen no mention of an ltr system that these pr400s would be operating on in the RR database or from some google searching. Perhaps it is a privately owned system without a readily available record, but hard to believe PSU would rent time when they could use the analogue FM frequencies or 800 system. I was just curious if anyone had any further information. Thanks again!

Scratch that... could not edit. Misread your post at first and then did some searching. I did find the Centre Communications ltr system. Any ideas why PSU would rent this time when they already have the p25 system and the old 400 frequencies?

Septa3371CSX1

Could be a system using Part 22 frequencies (454/459 MHz in UHF). One way to find the channels is to program a limit search using 454.00 and 455.00 as the limits and see if you get any hits.

CSBrown

More than likely they are OPP radios using their conventional uhf repeater system . Most all the OPP units have MDC-1200 signaling, the tone you are hearing is the wait to talk tone while the the radio ID is sent.

ncaff

Thanks everyone for your replies! I may try and track down the exact frequencies. I am just more curious why PSU would be renting time from a third party when they already have the P25 system and various conventional channels.

Despite this being my first post, I have been a long time lurker. I am confident it is the talk permit tone used on an ltr system given this particular radio. I am familiar with MDC-1200 pre tone sounds. The pr400 emits the distinct chirp. The same used on p25 trunking systems.

Of course I could be wrong and perhaps mishearing the tone or misinformed. I will try and record a clip and post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.