KSICS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhollingsworth

Premium Subscriber
Can someone help me understand how KSICS works with regards to the towers and control frequencies.

For example.here in JOCO, I have my 396xt set to control frequencies of MARRS sites I'm interested in.

My question is with this being a "state wide" system. Are all towers broadcasting control frequencies throughout the state? In other words can people in western Kansas effectively hear the MARRS sites, and likewise could I listen to other sites much further away from JOCO?

Cheers.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Can someone help me understand how KSICS works with regards to the towers and control frequencies.

For example.here in JOCO, I have my 396xt set to control frequencies of MARRS sites I'm interested in.

My question is with this being a "state wide" system. Are all towers broadcasting control frequencies throughout the state? In other words can people in western Kansas effectively hear the MARRS sites, and likewise could I listen to other sites much further away from JOCO?

Cheers.

Just to be clear, MARRS and KSICS are two different systems. MARRS only covers the KC metropolitan area, so someone clear out in Western KS would not be able hear the system. As far as KSICS goes, you'll only be able to pick up traffic on the towers closest to you. Say for instance one is in Hays, KS-that person could only monitor traffic on the Hays site. KSICS users do have the ability to "roam" site to site. Hope this answers your question.

Redneck0410

However, if someone were to affiliate with the tower in your area, you would start hearing traffic from the other area. One good example is the KS State Fair here in Hutchinson. I've been hearing KHP Troop C, D, and even E on top of troop F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mancow

Database Admin
There are a couple of posts on this that you can find by putting in "radio drag" in the search of the Kansas forums. Drag can be a good thing for scanners but a bad thing for operations due to the tower spaces it occupies.

And the reason that relying totally on a trunked system for State comms in a disaster situation is nuts.

mancow

Database Admin
Most of the comms people I know do not completely depend on it. We have other options available to us in our templates and equipment.

Sure, but it seems like the State really does rely heavily on it. If several of those towers were down it would be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.