CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTouesnard

Feed Provider
Hello everyone, On the weekend I happen to be lucky enough to win a CB Radio, Cobra 19DX IV that was donated on a poker run I happen to be on, I plan on getting all the gear in the next couple days to gear up my truck, just a question I had was what channel or channels are usualy monitered around Nova Scotia, also if anyone has any advice on a type of antenna I should look into would be great.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Jason from toronto here, I can tell you this much, it's all about the antenna....I just purchased a Wilson 1000 mag mount and it is considered to be one of the best for mobile use. CB has changed a lot over the years, and I recently just got back in to it myself. Most truck/cars monitor channel 19.. After that, you pretty much just need to scan the channels for activity.
Make sure you tune the antenna with a SWR meter to ensure the best match for optimal signal/transmit.

Jason

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Most truck drivers are talking on cell phones or listening to satellite radio nowadays...

ve1sef

In the Maritime's, truckers also can be found on Ch.1. There are a few clubs still around, hit and miss what channels they use. Although Ch.13 was used in Pictou County. Halifax area I think use to be on Ch.11 or 14.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
When it comes to antennas, bigger is better. The brand doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference compared to length.

108" whip is the standard that all others are compared to, and often a lot cheaper as well.

Yes, it is big, and thought needs to go into how you are going to mount it. It will hit low things.

Everything is a compromise.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
cb radios are dead.. You should go with GMRS

I do have to disagree somewhat. I have got back in to CB's after about 20 years and on LSB at least, it so very very active. I have made about 15 contacts so far on LSB channel 38. A great bunch of guys and somewhat professional to talk to!

cheers,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.