Port Columbus (CMH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

I have the frequencies from the DataBase in my PRO-107
but I do not hear much traffic.

I am using my PRO-107 and a Diamond RH77 Antenna.

I would have thought that I would hear a lot of traffic. (Almost constant)?

I will try some of my Attic mounted Antenna's tonight on the PRO-107 to se if that helps.
(3 Discones & 2 different Scantenna's)

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
Using your call I looked up your address and noticed you are about 10 miles to the west of the airport. Not much elevation in your way but you do have the city. I live about 10 miles to the east with some terrain in my way. I can hear the aircraft in flight but once they are on the ground I can't hear them. I can sometimes hear the tower but can not hear ground controllers. I believe that most aircraft have the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft. When they are in flight it is toward the ground and when they are on the ground they are close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
Could you pick up a simplex HT from similar distance/terrain? I'd guess that's what you are seeing. You probably should get the tower, but most of the other services/support etc. are pretty low power ,and little to no gain on xmit antenna.

I'm 2 miles from a small local airport and can hear one on ground, 8 miles from Zaneville and can not hear the tower. A couple hills between. Using a 30' discone.

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber
Could you pick up a simplex HT from similar distance/terrain? I'd guess that's what you are seeing. You probably should get the tower, but most of the other services/support etc. are pretty low power ,and little to no gain on xmit antenna.

I'm 2 miles from a small local airport and can hear one on ground, 8 miles from Zaneville and can not hear the tower. A couple hills between. Using a 30' discone.

I never thought of it before but can anyone confirm that the antenna for the tower is in fact on the tower? I know there is an RCAG site on the SW corner of the field but I don't know where the ground and tower control are actually being transmitted from.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I never thought of it before but can anyone confirm that the antenna for the tower is in fact on the tower? I know there is an RCAG site on the SW corner of the field but I don't know where the ground and tower control are actually being transmitted from.

To the best of my knowledge all of the ATC stuff is at the transmitter facility at Stelzer and International Gateway, and those antennas are only about 30-40 feet off the ground, which is why you can't hear them.

If there's anything atop the control tower it's probably running very, very low power, as that height would cause it to be heard far beyond where it should, and cause interference to aircraft at other airports using the same frequency.

gtaman

AM aircraft frequencies are not necessarily line of sight. I live fairly close to Rickenbacker. I can pick up all tower comms and aircraft including UHF military. I also can pick up TRACON. The ATC controller is very week but all aircraft are loud and clear. Antenna height is the key to aircraft listening at a distance.

phask

Premium Subscriber
AM aircraft frequencies are not necessarily line of sight. I live fairly close to Rickenbacker. I can pick up all tower comms and aircraft including UHF military. I also can pick up TRACON. The ATC controller is very week but all aircraft are loud and clear. Antenna height is the key to aircraft listening at a distance.

Seriously - they actually are - unless there is some underlying condition.

Even 88mhz conventional FM radio is pretty much line of sight.

"Antenna height is the key" effectively increasing your line of sight.

- disregarding, tropo or other strange reflections -

RakkFO

Premium Subscriber

Not sure I am understanding what you are saying here. If you live close to rick I would expect you could hear the tower and the aircraft. You would also expect that you could hear the Columbus TRACON I believe it is located at KCMH.

Every thing is subject to circumstance but you don't need elevation when listening to most aviation traffic. The aircraft has the elevation advantage. If you want to hear stuff low on the horizon sure you will need elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, when I visit Columbus, I can hear CMH fairly easily with my 396T, TH-F6A, and my FT-7800 from near OSU airport. Have you tried your FT-8800 to see how it hears Tracon, Tower, etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.