• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

My report on the Uniden 980 SSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
After having the 980 for 2 weeks now, here are my thoughts on the CB.

It is a well thought out, modern unit which in stock form is not too bad. I paired it up with a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna and have a SWR around 1.2 to 1.4 across all 40 channels.

Last weekend I made a contact on LSB channel 38 in North Carolina, I am in Brampton Ontario Canada. Obviously some skip, but impressive to me.

I maxed out both the AM and SSB pots with the help of a power meter and some fine tuning. I was getting a solid 5 watts dead key on AM and about 15 to 18 watts swing on SSB.

I am so happy with the unit I think I will buy another one to set up as a base in my house.

I am also going to purchase a higher quality Astatic Mic as well.

I know there have been some bad reviews, but it has been good to me so far.

Cheers.

Jason

k8krh

SOUNDS good, I have read many reviews and very few negatives, the one's that are negative seem to be from lids anyhow.

See you on the AIRWAYS...
DOCTOR/795

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear a nice review of the radio. I have been considering buying one, as it would be nice to have some new capabilities than my 18+ year old model offers.

Sent via Tapatalk

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I have been running mine (unmodified) for a couple years now; I really like it -- I (too) bought a second for the house; I use the scanning more in the house than in the truck. Even my wife is considering one for her car -- it's not as "ugly" as regular cb's (her words).

I really wish it would scan across bands rather than just w/in one. (scan AM & lsb for instance) but other than that; the radios have performed well.

I run the truck with a 5' firestick on the right side of the cab (left side has a scanner antenna, I wanted transmit away from scanner, so I compromised).
Not the best at getting out; but looks good & sounds good & works for me.

Not many people around here use them, so most of the time I listen to the scanner rather than CB; but it's always nice to talk to a real person from time to time.

kc4jgc

I really wish it would scan across bands rather than just w/in one. (scan AM & lsb for instance) but other than that; the radios have performed well.

Since there is only ONE BAND this sentence doesn't make sense. The channels are the same; the modes are different. That being said, there is LEGALLY no preferred mode of operation for specific channels. There was only a "gentleman's agreement" across North America that channels 16-18 (some areas ch 15) and later channels 36-40 were primarily set aside for ssb ops.

It's good to hear that someone else is now producing an am/ssb rig. If I ever get another CB, it will have ssb capability. I can choose between Cobra and now Uniden. Galaxy, while they look nice are WAY overpriced. My last CB rig was a Realistic TRC-451 am/ssb, sold in the early 80's.

Even though I drive a big rig I have no real interest in talking to other drivers unless it's to another driver in my particular fleet. I currently have my 10 meter mobile in there.

jodoak

Premium Subscriber
I have the Uniden Bearcat 980SSB as a base with a Astatic D104-M6B mic and they make a formidable pair. I turned mine down to 1 watt and let the fun begin. I live in Western NY and have talked with people in California, even someone on the Pacific Ocean west of Catalina Island. Of course, good ole skip. This one will eventually go in my truck.

prcguy

I was given a 980 recently and my first impression when the previous owner had it was junk. Now that I've played with it, got rid of the stupid beep and tweaked the AM mod and SSB ALC it gets good reports and seems to be an ok radio. Especially considering they are only a little more than $100 new. I wish something like this was available 40yrs ago when I used to play more with these things.
prcguy

prcguy

Most people said it sounded ok but needed to be louder, even with the mic gain maxed out. The radio was not reaching 100% mod on a scope so I adjusted the AM mod limiter and now everyone says it sounds better and has a bit more punch. SSB power was about 10w peak and opening up the ALC got it to at least rated power.

Otherwise its not too bad for a bone stock radio with supplied mic.
prcguy

what was wrong with the AM and ssb?

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have on love it, keep it on SSB most of the time. Turned the POT as well to get the most power out of it but other than that haven't really felt the need to modify it or anything. Runs great.

k8krh

I finally got the UNIDEN and mounted it in the vehicle with my WILSON 1000. Skip was in today, on channel 39, talked to CALIFORNIA and OREGON on SSB, worked great. I did turn the ALC up a bit for ssb to 14 watts, satisfied with the radio. It is a keeper.
DOCTOR/795

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
I have one in the truck. I really like it. I use it for local comms mostly, though. I haven't tuned it or tried skip yet.

I got the wireless mic for it as well. It's pretty darn cool.

Delta

jassing

Premium Subscriber
The wireless mic isn't 'too big' or 'too heavy'? The idea of being cord-free is appealing, but the picture makes it look a bit bulky..

Status
Not open for further replies.