• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KG-UV8D question/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

I just got used KG-UV8D radio and the person that had the radio entered in his call sign from radio not software. The pic below shows it in the left corner on top. Can anyone tell me how to change it or delete it? I can't find how to change it or delete it.

thank you

Attachments

• 0917151516.jpg
    0917151516.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,046

n5ims

Use the programming software to make your desired change(s). Be aware that, like most radio programming software, the radios expects you to load it with all settings, not just what you want changed. If you only enter the new callsign, your radio will have the callsign change and whatever defaults the software has loaded into the radio (probably not what you want).

The process to keep most programming and settings the same should be:

1. Read the radio into the software.
2. Make the desired changes.
3. Send the new programming to the radio.

Baker845

I don't have software which i can download or Cable . The person i got radio from said he did that from key pad but forgot the steps.

wd9ewk

I don't have software which i can download or Cable . The person i got radio from said he did that from key pad but forgot the steps.

Among other places, you can get the KG-UV8D software at:

Wouxun KG UV8D SOFTWARE

Cable... available online from many places, or available in stores where Wouxun radios are sold.

I have a KG-UV8D, and have never seen any way to program that text at the top of the screen without using the software. I don't think there is a menu setting related to that. It's the same on the newer KG-UV9D. Since the software is free, and cables are relatively cheap (the same cable can be used with most Chinese-made HTs), it's not a big deal.

Good luck!

teufler

Try the menu key, Reset, that should clear the call sign out . Course it clears everything out too. I only know how to use the cables to set the radio call sign.

bharvey2

I just scanned through the manual and couldn't find any way to change the top banner via the keypad. I did mine through the software. The software can be downloaded free of charge and the cables are quite inexpensive. I've used them on both chinese radios and on Kenwoods. I suspect that Kenwood cables could be used as well.

Baker845

i was able to change it with the software and after market Kenwood Programming cable.

Thank you all for you info and help

CPerk

Use the programming software to make your desired change(s). Be aware that, like most radio programming software, the radios expects you to load it with all settings, not just what you want changed. If you only enter the new callsign, your radio will have the callsign change and whatever defaults the software has loaded into the radio (probably not what you want).

The process to keep most programming and settings the same should be:

1. Read the radio into the software.
2. Make the desired changes.
3. Send the new programming to the radio.

Im Looking to purchase this radio in few weeks, but worried about how to program it, I have software on my windows XP computer and the drivers , but is it going be anything like the Baofeng Uv5R I could only program it with my WIndows XP computer , my windows 7 wouldn't install drivers right and I hope things work since this radio looks really neat , Can I use my current UV5R cable I got to program this radio or does it need a certain cable? Cable looks same as for this radio as what I used for the UV5R and IF the program for UV8D doesn't work any other suggestions, Like I used CHRIP but currently they don't offer support for UV8D yet but they have KG816 KG 818 KGUV6 AND KGUVD1P software on CHRIP but not the UV8D

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
KG-UV8D

I have this radio, and have found a serious problem. I bought it for a backup to my mobile, but it does not hold a charge. Both batteries I have drain from full charge to about 7 volts in 2 weeks. I suspect something is always drawing current, as the second battery was purchased separately and it is not likely a battery problem.

bharvey2

Two answers:

I have multiple KG-UV8Ds and a number of other Wouxun and Baofeng radios. I've used WinXP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 to program them. A lot of the problems stem from the cables being used. Some use genuine and and some use counterfeit Prolific chipsets in the USB end. I have multiple cables so maybe I've just been luck so far. I know of many who have had problems. I received a number of red cables with "Wouxun" molded into the USB end. Those seem to be pretty easy to work with.

As far as the battery draining when the power is off, that seems to be standard operation procedure with Wouxun radios. Every one I own does that. It's a design flaw to be sure. I have Baofeng radios that I can leave in the car for months on end and they still start up with a full battery indicator. It's a pain but I suppose you can remove the battery while you'r not using it for extended periods.

CPerk

Two answers:

I have multiple KG-UV8Ds and a number of other Wouxun and Baofeng radios. I've used WinXP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 to program them. A lot of the problems stem from the cables being used. Some use genuine and and some use counterfeit Prolific chipsets in the USB end. I have multiple cables so maybe I've just been luck so far. I know of many who have had problems. I received a number of red cables with "Wouxun" molded into the USB end. Those seem to be pretty easy to work with.

As far as the battery draining when the power is off, that seems to be standard operation procedure with Wouxun radios. Every one I own does that. It's a design flaw to be sure. I have Baofeng radios that I can leave in the car for months on end and they still start up with a full battery indicator. It's a pain but I suppose you can remove the battery while you'r not using it for extended periods.
May I ask what program you used to program it and I have the software on my XP computer but if that doesn't work any other like CHIRP? I have installed drivers I just hope it works and I have my bofoeng 2 prong usb cable I hope that works .

bharvey2

I use the program that came with it and Chirp. I might use Chirp to copy a large batch of frequencies from another radio and then after programming the radio I open up the Wouxun program to make corrections. Chirp tends to be a little wonky sometimes with the KGUV8D so once in a while I might find something that needs adjusting and it can be done with the factory program. I use the same cable for both programs.

bharvey2

What radio isn't showing up, your KGUV8D or your Baofeng? Perhaps you have an older version of Chirp. Just last weekend I programmed codeplugs for the KGUV8D and the Baofeng UV82 using Chirp. I do get warnings stating that the KGUV8D isn't fully supported but as I mentioned earlier, I can check everything with the default Wouxun program and make minor corrections if needed. Download the last version of Chirp here: Index of /chirp_daily/LATEST and see what you get. If you have an older version, you may want to save your codeplugs and delete the old version before installing the new one.

CPerk

What radio isn't showing up, your KGUV8D or your Baofeng? Perhaps you have an older version of Chirp. Just last weekend I programmed codeplugs for the KGUV8D and the Baofeng UV82 using Chirp. I do get warnings stating that the KGUV8D isn't fully supported but as I mentioned earlier, I can check everything with the default Wouxun program and make minor corrections if needed. Download the last version of Chirp here: Index of /chirp_daily/LATEST and see what you get. If you have an older version, you may want to save your codeplugs and delete the old version before installing the new one.

You rock man! I got CHRIP to show the radio model now for the Wouxun now, so happy and question is once you get radio program can you keep it one ONE single channel like ex my work channel 3 and I Just want to listen and transmit on that, and not listen to any other unless I change the channel ... My radio should be here in week or so, Ordered it last week but im excited and any other tips about this radio or any things manual doesnt explain so well, I know about the SINGLE channel thing im woried about and i think I have drivers dowloaded for it but we will see when I program it

bharvey2

Glad you got it to work. Now, if I understand your question correctly then yes, you can listen to only one channel at a time. That is typical unless you put it in scan mode. An item of note: the KGUV8D does have two VCOs (or receiver/transmitters) Technically, you can listen to two channels at a time. However, if you truly want to set it up to listen to one channel only, you can use the "A/B" but to select the primary receiver and then press the "RPT" button. This effectively shuts off the second receiver. Press it again and the second channel is back.

CPerk

Thanks so much, I hope I hve the drivers downloaded I did that few weeks ago, and I notice windows xp does things perfect for my Baofeng uv5r my windows 7 I couldn't seem to program my radio bt windows xp it worked like charm , I just hope my uv5r cable will work with this wouxun radio people saying it works . And I'm ready to get this radio badly my uv5r nor we king right so much "breaking up audio" but if hold antenna or turn antenna little signal better , but how's recption on the wouxun radio.

bharvey2

I've never worked with a UV5R so I can't comment from experience. I've used the UV82 once in a while,and the KGUV8D on a daily basis. They aren't a Motorola or Kenwood but for HAM use, they work fine. I've heard complaints that the Chines radios don't have the selectivity of a big name radio but even in the San Francisco Bay Area, I haven't had trouble with either of them. Keep in mind a "duckie" on any radio is a compromise. Some are better than others but a good external antenna is going to beat them all, hands down. Even with the new KGUV8D, you may just need a better antenna.

CPerk

That's what I had in mind, but I hope this radio preforms well ,looks awesome and for what I've read about it, and do you happen have link of windows xp drivers just incase I need to install them again before using software or chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.