E-Comm 800Mhz Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamimnya

Hello all,

I've been looking to improve the reception for my BCT15X scanner that I've been using to monitor RCMP in Burnaby. I've never used any antenna other than the stock one but I have decided that I should finally take the leap since I intend on hosting a feed in the future.

I'm looking for something that I can use indoors and my budget is under/around $40 (I'll go over if required). Also if you could include any other information I may need, such as cables, connectors, or mounts, I would appreciate it. I do believe the BCT15X uses a BNC connector.

I heard that the RS 800Mhz antenna is a good bang for the buck:
Radioshack - Products

Or maybe even one from here? http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...ular-range-198/high-gain-800mhz-antennas-223/

On a side note, I also have a BC345XT that I use for monitoring the EDACS control channel, I'm not sure about whether I should stick with the stock rubber antenna or go with something better.

I would like to hear about anyone else's setups and antenna recommendations with the E-Comm (WARS) system. I'm monitoring ProVoice so if anyone has any tips in that regard, feel free to share, I have not been getting a very good decode rate through DSD (60-80%) and I'm assuming that's because of the not so good reception.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason to not post ideas for all that might be interested?

Chamimnya

Is there a reason to not post ideas for all that might be interested?

I feel like the lack of replies probably has something to do with me mentioning the monitoring of ProVoice RCMP talkgroups here in Greater Vancouver. Everyone seems to be a bit "hush hush" about it (I've been told to "keep information to myself" and "in the future do not post about police"). The reason behind all this is beyond my understanding and if anyone would like to expand on that, feel free.

Last edited:

smason

I feel like the lack of replies probably has something to do with me mentioning the monitoring of ProVoice RCMP talkgroups here in Greater Vancouver. Everyone seems to be a bit "hush hush" about it (I've been told to "keep information to myself" and "in the future do not post about police"). The reason behind all this is beyond my understanding and if anyone would like to expand on that, feel free.

I though that was just the Edmonton group. :)

pyro424

The problem is what you said you intend to do in the future. If you intended to do that in the future then what you are intending to do is ruin it for everyone. Keep your scanner to yourself. If others want to monitor then they can GO BUY A SCANNER.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, as there are many other users of the 800 mHz spectrum, I for one am always interested in what others find are good antennas for scanner on this spectrum. I certainly don't see why this has to be hush hushed. Do we really have to have this as a PM? My antenna on the HP just broke after a couple of years [sorry I can't remember the name but bought it from a local Ham store]. It was flexible as the connector allowed for pointing it up no matter how the HP was sitting. I am now using a cheapie HT55 from china thus would really like to hear what the answer to the OP was.

lep

Hello all,

I've been looking to improve the reception for my BCT15X scanner that I've been using to monitor RCMP in Burnaby. I've never used any antenna other than the stock one but I have decided that I should finally take the leap since I intend on hosting a feed in the future.

I'm looking for something that I can use indoors and my budget is under/around $40 (I'll go over if required). Also if you could include any other information I may need, such as cables, connectors, or mounts, I would appreciate it. I do believe the BCT15X uses a BNC connector.

I heard that the RS 800Mhz antenna is a good bang for the buck:
Radioshack - Products

Or maybe even one from here? http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...ular-range-198/high-gain-800mhz-antennas-223/

On a side note, I also have a BC345XT that I use for monitoring the EDACS control channel, I'm not sure about whether I should stick with the stock rubber antenna or go with something better.

I have no comment on ProVoice monitoring but I do have several of the RS 800 MHz rubber ducks you show in your post. It is a satisfactory antenna but it is NOT better than the stock antenna from Uniden nor does it have any gain, the advertising from RS not withstanding. RS quotes dbi, not dbd. Therefore compared to the normal standards, as expected, it has no gain at all. In my home station setup it does work well, however, for me, it works the same as a bent paperclip stuck into the connector, it just Looks more professional, if you want to spend $25 US for looks go ahead,.

mancow

Database Admin
I have no comment on ProVoice monitoring but I do have several of the RS 800 MHz rubber ducks you show in your post. It is a satisfactory antenna but it is NOT better than the stock antenna from Uniden nor does it have any gain, the advertising from RS not withstanding. RS quotes dbi, not dbd. Therefore compared to the normal standards, as expected, it has no gain at all. In my home station setup it does work well, however, for me, it works the same as a bent paperclip stuck into the connector, it just Looks more professional, if you want to spend $25 US for looks go ahead,.

Do what? The RS 800 antenna is one of the best available, anywhere. It most certainly is better than any stock Uniden antenna.

elitedata

i did some field testing on a BCD325P2 using the RS 800Mhz antenna and the laird EXE806BNX antenna.
the laird EXE806BNX performs much better on multicast/simulcast systems, has reduced multipath effects and has better gain comparing with the RS antenna.
however, the RS antenna is still good for fixed locations like the back of a desktop scanner or a window suction cup attachment, it performs very well as long as a good receiving "spot" is found.

Chamimnya

The problem is what you said you intend to do in the future. If you intended to do that in the future then what you are intending to do is ruin it for everyone. Keep your scanner to yourself. If others want to monitor then they can GO BUY A SCANNER.

The issue here is that no one states "it would not be a good idea to stream for X and Y reason, there is a possibility you will also ruin it for everyone.", people just assume you're supposed to know automatically and if you don't, you either get attitude or you're ignored altogether.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that the BC community wants to shut everyone out of ProVoice listening except for the "elite"/insider users. It took a lot of time and experimenting just to get a setup working because everyone is so secretive. I knew about DSD 2 years ago but never figured out how to get a Uniden scanner working with it until this year when I learned about UniTrunker. ScanBC still shows that it is "impossible" to monitor Greater Vancouver Police & EMS.

If E-Comm could just flip a switch and turn on encryption, it would have been done already. Chances are it will be done regardless with the move to the new 700MHz system in 2017. So why not give users a chance to listen in for the next year or so?

To everyone else: thank you for the suggestions, I'm probably going to try out an 800MHz yagi antenna and set it up in my attic. If that isn't very successful I'll see what the RS 800MHz antenna is capable of.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I think that this thread will explain a lot ... maybe the Calgary people should read it.

I think ElectricSheep nailed it.

http://forums.radioreference.com/we...chives/31810-scanner-found-after-robbery.html

Re the antennas .. well the RS model is not likely to be found here as well RS has been gone in Canada for a long time. If you happen to live near the border or can order online .. you are not likely to get your hands on it easily.

I personally use a Larsen Kulrod 800 MHz antenna on my GRE handheld scanner.

Chamimnya

In case anyone is interested in what I ended up doing, I took one of these Wilson Cellular Antennas and mounted it in my attic and routed it to my BCT15X. Perfect reception, can't get any better. This one does the voice decoding.

For my BC346XT, I used a cellular yagi antenna, also in my attic. This one is used for picking up the control channel.

I have no trouble picking up other nearby sites such as Coquitlam & Surrey using this setup. The RS 800MHz portable proved to be good here in Burnaby but my coverage did not extend further than that. I would still recommend using it if you are on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.