Just for ha has!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just for the heck of it, for fun more than anything, I was looking at this antenna:
Antenna 433MHz 3dBi GSM GPRS SMA Male Plug Tentacle 3M RG174 Cable UHF VHF FPV | eBay

It is NOT going to break the ol pigy bank by any means, but I don't like buying things without asking questions or researching. I did NOT find this antenna on the RR Antenna Wiki probably because it is more for fun than anything else. Has anyone ever tried these? They sell them for 800-900 bands as well. Just curious.
It would be fun just for experimenting, and stuff like that! I can always cut the cable length, use a different connector etc...Again, fun stuff to keep the ol brain moving, but nothing serious. Just thought I would ask. I Knw I can make one myself and what type of antenna this is. I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried one.

Manny

mancow

Database Admin
It looks like an inside the windshield antenna for police car remote body mics for camera systems.

marksmith

I have three of them in the 700 - 800mz format. It is exactly the same except half the size. If you are going to monitor 700-800 I would use that one instead of this UHF model.

The 700-800 mz version works great. I mount vertically in my window and use for a base antenna at home. It gets stuff no other antenna can get. I have not tried in the vehicle window as I have a regular 700-800 mz external roof antenna.

I have also not tried the UHF version as I don't listen to that much, but if made by the same folks it is probably good.

I have three radios using the 700-800 mz version and like it very much. I think you will find them a little more expensive.

They do need to be mounted vertically to be effective.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!

It looks like an inside the windshield antenna for police car remote body mics for camera systems.
I thought that too actually!

I have three of them in the 700 - 800mz format. It is exactly the same except half the size. If you are going to monitor 700-800 I would use that one instead of this UHF model.

The 700-800 mz version works great. I mount vertically in my window and use for a base antenna at home. It gets stuff no other antenna can get. I have not tried in the vehicle window as I have a regular 700-800 mz external roof antenna.

I have also not tried the UHF version as I don't listen to that much, but if made by the same folks it is probably good.

I have three radios using the 700-800 mz version and like it very much. I think you will find them a little more expensive.

They do need to be mounted vertically to be effective.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Thanks Mark, I actually want one for UHF but hey, at these prices, I can get them both!
Thank you BOTH for your quick replies! I'm gonna have some fun with them using my 436HP as a test instrument around the area! ;)

Manny

mancow

Database Admin
What? Do you get arrested a lot to know these things? :)
prcguy

The curse of letting on you know something at all about electronics. Suddenly, everyone else claims to know nothing and you suddenly have new job duties.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Manny- I tried one for ha-has and it was more like boo hoo in the end. Tried it in the car and at home with no success.

Sorry to hear that ! I live in a heavily rf saturated area so it should not be too too hard to pick up much!
It's more of a curiosity and for fun project anyway! ;)

Manny

br0adband

I'd be interested in a 700/800 MHz model myself so, as the poster above asked, consider this a "me too" request. :)

Did some searching on eBay and found nothing of that nature, still looking around for something in that particular style in other places too. Definitely interested in that since now we've got activity in the 700 MHz range here in Las Vegas (the LVMPD) and one can never have enough antennas. :)

cmdrwill

One problem, the tinting and other things in auto glass do not work well on radio waves passing on thru.

But that seller had other things that I needed..... connectors and sma connector hh antennas.

mark40

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to hear that ! I live in a heavily rf saturated area so it should not be too too hard to pick up much!
It's more of a curiosity and for fun project anyway! ;)

Manny

Well I am just the opposite in a rural area, so I wouldn't want to discourage you totally- perhaps it might work for you under those conditions. Why not.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Is there any difference between the ones on eBay and the ones that scanner master sells?
Yeah, the outrageous price that scannermaster charges.

I tried the 800 MHz one and it didn't work as good as the original rubber duckie on the BCD396XT.
Location location location! It just depends on what you want to hear and where you are in relation to that signal.

Here is one for under $4, it will just take a month for it to arrive.

Vehicle Security Antenna - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Don't really mind the wait as long as it's not an expensive item. I won't lose my cool over a few bucks like $4-$8, but anything more than that just is not worth it for me unless US retailers are charging WAY more for the same thing. I have a few choice overseas dealers on ebay I order from

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.