• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CP185

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Motorola is the source for the software. Call them.

Asking for pirated software is strictly forbidden on this forum.

I am going to give you my raw, unvarnished, and experienced opinion of the CP185 now.
Some may find it rather harsh but I'm just telling you how things are as I have seen them with my own eyes.

Frankly, given how much the software costs, and given the quality of the CP185, my recommendation
to you is that you save your money, sell the CP185, and buy a better radio that's WORTH spending the money to buy the software.

I hold an extremely low opinion of the 185. Many have crossed my test bench. A few have met Mr. Concrete Wall at high speed as a result.

It is not too much to say that I consider the CP185 to be absolute garbage, only slightly better than a CP125, and just a little bit better than a BPR40.

Frankly I have nothing positive to say about Motorola's entry level line of radios. I'd recommend Kenwoods instead.

And I am the original and authentic Motorola Fanboy.

cabletech

I agree with elroy about the CP185 being on the low end of the scale. With that said, the same cable that is used for the CP200 is used for the 185.

Software is still available at MOL for$265.00. Part number is RVN5194

Cable is available on ebay.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Here'a constructive suggestion: Find a Motorola PRO series radio like a 5500. Or a Motorola EX500 or EX600. They're far superior radios and can be picked up cheaply on ebay.

They are good enough that I'd say it's worth buying the software and cable for them.

I'm sure you want a good, reliable radio that works well. I've had a good number of the Pros and EX radios come across my bench for routine maintenance but I almost never see a dead one. And they work well. Much higher quality than the CP series.

So that is my professional recommendation for an inexpensive radio. PRO or EX series.

ncjones28677

Premium Subscriber
Thank you I wish I would have asked around much soone, My friend told me Kenwood but again I have learned a tough lesson!?
If this radio does not work out I will be glad to post it on ebay.
Thank You

ncjones28677

Premium Subscriber
Thank You
I will shop ebay for the cable and I will contact Motorola for the software I am sure they will point me to the right software.
The 265.00 is no problem.
I did find on Motorola Solutions and downloaded the software but I take it it is the wrong software?
The software from motorola solutions is Business_Radio_CPS_R02.01.exe
On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cZvoBlwS0
The screen looks exactly alike.
Thats why I was wondering .
I checked usps.com and the radio will be here Monday so I was wondering about everything I need and I know you can pruchase software off from ebay so I was thinking I might have 2 different sources for the software

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
You CAN purchase motorola software on ebay, but every bit of it is pirated. Motorola's software licensing agreement is very clear on this: No resale of software.

However, it's doubtful that they really care enough to pursue it. Not these days. Motorola is apparently having cashflow issues and isn't spending any money on enforcement of software piracy at this time.

mformby

Is there any reason you can't take it to a Motorola dealer and have them program it? It will be a lot cheaper than buying the software and cable.

ncjones28677

Premium Subscriber
Motorola is the source for the software. Call them.

Asking for pirated software is strictly forbidden on this forum.

I am going to give you my raw, unvarnished, and experienced opinion of the CP185 now.
Some may find it rather harsh but I'm just telling you how things are as I have seen them with my own eyes.

Frankly, given how much the software costs, and given the quality of the CP185, my recommendation
to you is that you save your money, sell the CP185, and buy a better radio that's WORTH spending the money to buy the software.

I hold an extremely low opinion of the 185. Many have crossed my test bench. A few have met Mr. Concrete Wall at high speed as a result.

It is not too much to say that I consider the CP185 to be absolute garbage, only slightly better than a CP125, and just a little bit better than a BPR40.

Frankly I have nothing positive to say about Motorola's entry level line of radios. I'd recommend Kenwoods instead.

And I am the original and authentic Motorola Fanboy.
I have purchased the programming software sometime ago for the cp185 along with the programming cable.What would you recommend for kenwood that's around say 174 to 250 each

Status
Not open for further replies.