BCD536HP's Static Is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

I'm fed up with my Uniden BCD536HP. Communications are lately heavily loaded with static sometimes to the point of being totally unintelligible. That's a lot static!

And the static moves around between analog systems and digital systems in no particular pattern (i.e., not the same frequency or the same system talk group each time).

I compared it in tandem to my Uniden BCD436HP, both having been purchased together in 2014 for hefty chunk of change.

I tried different outlets in the off chance the 536's problems were related to house circuitry (although it's been fine on that particular outlet before now). Ran both the 536 and 436 each time.

In all instances, everything is fine on the 436. Crystal-clear reception in all modes. Either very little (normal) static here and there, to no static. Same database, identical frequencies, systems and talk groups. Same locations 'round the house.

As for the 536, the subpar performance gets so nerve-wracking I have to turn the thing off since it's annoying as hell.

Pretty bad for $500.

Retired, I have meager means but I wanted to get what I thought was the best of the best. Indeed, even my 2005 Uniden BCD396 still works like a charm, and its still-stellar performance was ironically my incentive to purchase Uniden's two 2014 offerings. You know, "state of the art" an' all that.

(I have quite a few scanners... going back as far as the mid-70s Bearcat BC-101!)

The 2014 436 is very good. This 536? Lately pretty galling. Both the 436 and 536 use current firm- and software. But the 536! It receives everything with a sound I can only compare to that of crumpling up a sheet of paper, all ladled generously behind each transmission. Again, not the same transmission. It moves around.

And naturally since I purchased it last year, the 536 is out of warranty.

You guys have any explanation and/or suggestions? I'm more curious than pissed. Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
All other known issues aside - I am a bit curious. You mentioned "static moves around between analog systems and digital systems". I can understand some static being hear on analog but I don't understand what you mean by static on digital systems.

The only static I know of on digital systems (on a scanner) would be some occasional Phase 2 encrypted talkgroups (which some folks describe as static). The other is occasional "hissing" that comes from the radio on what my guess is either weak reception or poor decode of the control channel that (sounds as if it) leads to the incorrect TDMA "slot" being processed on some Phase 2 activity.

Can you post a couple of recordings of the static?

MStep

I'm fed up with my Uniden BCD536HP. Communications are lately heavily loaded with static sometimes to the point of being totally unintelligible. That's a lot static!

And the static moves around between analog systems and digital systems in no particular pattern (i.e., not the same frequency or the same system talk group each time).

I compared it in tandem to my Uniden BCD436HP, both having been purchased together in 2014 for hefty chunk of change.

I tried different outlets in the off chance the 536's problems were related to house circuitry (although it's been fine on that particular outlet before now). Ran both the 536 and 436 each time.

In all instances, everything is fine on the 436. Crystal-clear reception in all modes. Either very little (normal) static here and there, to no static. Same database, identical frequencies, systems and talk groups. Same locations 'round the house.

As for the 536, the subpar performance gets so nerve-wracking I have to turn the thing off since it's annoying as hell.

Pretty bad for $500.

Retired, I have meager means but I wanted to get what I thought was the best of the best. Indeed, even my 2005 Uniden BCD396 still works like a charm, and its still-stellar performance was ironically my incentive to purchase Uniden's two 2014 offerings. You know, "state of the art" an' all that.

(I have quite a few scanners... going back as far as the mid-70s Bearcat BC-101!)

The 2014 436 is very good. This 536? Lately pretty galling. Both the 436 and 536 use current firm- and software. But the 536! It receives everything with a sound I can only compare to that of crumpling up a sheet of paper, all ladled generously behind each transmission. Again, not the same transmission. It moves around.

And naturally since I purchased it last year, the 536 is out of warranty.

You guys have any explanation and/or suggestions? I'm more curious than pissed. Thanks.

So the 536 is running off the AC lines, even different outlets in the house, whereas the 436 is battery powered. So my first guess is that something is getting introduced into your AC lines that is causing the problems.

The first thing that I would try is to grab the DC power cable that came with your 536 and try using it in a vehicle. For test purposes, try to run it if you can without the vehicle actually running. I believe that in most vehicles, the cigarette lighter plug is always "hot" so that you can get power from it without turning on the vehicle.

Try the test in an area away from your house. While the interference may be coming through your AC lines, your 536 might be unusually sensitive to that type of interference even when not plugged into your home outlets, so try it in the car, with you DC cable, in an "electrically quiet" place, like near a park or something like that.

If the interference disappears under those circumstances, we might be able to work our way back to your home to see if we can isolate the source of the problem. Any recent changes in your home's electrical characteristics? Cool weather is coming--- is your boiler starting to run? Have you bought a new microwave recently? You get the idea.

Try those experiments and get back to us.

Voyager

You would think for $500 the unit would be able to suppress any external noise sources. :D

...and make coffee.

Seriously, it could be the SD card going bad. Or it could be noise from a computer monitor, computer, TV, router, modem, or any of the other electronic devices you have in your house. could also be a bad power supply.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You would think for $500 the unit would be able to suppress any external noise sources. :D

...and make coffee.

Seriously, it could be the SD card going bad. Or it could be noise from a computer monitor, computer, TV, router, modem, or any of the other electronic devices you have in your house. could also be a bad power supply.

or your neighbors, or ... etc. etc. But there is no such thing as static on a digital transmission. At least not by the normal definition. It's either there, or not there.

MStep

...and make coffee.

Agree about the 500 bucks, but before condemning the unit, it's always more productive to try to isolate the problem. Using the 536 with the car's DC power and with the engine turned off is the best place to start. The next step is using it in he car with the engine running. Then we can bring it back to the house and try different things. But the car experiment should be done away from the house. A neighbor's electrical equipment could be causing the problem. I remember a situation several years ago when the neon sign at a pizza shop down the block was wreaking havoc with reception in my area.

N7CAS

Great Suggestions!

Yes, I know there's no such thing as "static" in digital. I was describing the sound, the galling sound. Thank you, everyone, for some excellent ideas. Very cool. I'll get back on here later with the results. I don't want to bash a product unnecessarily at all. But when constant frustration is one's plate each and every time one turns on the item in question — the 536 — then it's a different ballgame.

Again, reading the replies and suggestions, it's greatly, greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with a 12 volt test to rule out an issue with the AC adapter.

After ruling out the AC adapter, I'd try another test. Listen to the same channel at the same time on the 436 and 536 with factory antennas (don't know if you have an outside antenna on the 536). If you get static on the 536 but not on the 436 a warranty repair thing might be in order.

mitbr

I had a problem with my 536hp bnc connector which caused a static like sound on all systems and frequencies. The center of the bnc connector on the radio became wider than the mating antenna bnc connector and I had to change it for new.
Just another thing that might be the cause of this static as the above mentioned.
Tim

budevans

...But the 536! It receives everything with a sound I can only compare to that of crumpling up a sheet of paper, all ladled generously behind each transmission. Again, not the same transmission. It moves around.

Something else you might consider. In the old days when a speaker was failing or failed they would sometimes make a sound like crumpling paper.

It's an easy test if you have an external speaker or head/ear phones or a set of computer speakers that you could plug in.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Something else you might consider. In the old days when a speaker was failing or failed they would sometimes make a sound like crumpling paper.

It's an easy test if you have an external speaker or head/ear phones or a set of computer speakers that you could plug in.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the speaker. I don't know if the speaker in the 536 is the same thing as the speaker in the 436, but if it is, I could see how it could fail, the 436 speaker seems very weak, a friend's failed soon after he bought it, and it sounded like you were crinkling the cellophane wrapper they (Used to?) have on a pack of cigarettes. If you smacked it, it stopped for a little while.

AC2OY

In my limited experience with MY 536 sometimes after I would update it would make the sounds your describing sir in front of my computer and monitor. Once I shut off my PC she was fine. I feel your pain and hope you can resolve your issue.😔

loydelms

BCD536HP Static

i need help !! i have a BCD536HP and it has worked great until about 3 week's ago. I turned it on and started getting static on transmissions. I updated the firmware on the uniden site but i still have the issue. here is the kicker the P25 system comes in clear and i don't get the static on my home patrol. I am confused !! any idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.