Only USA 4-Meter Amateur Band Beacon (Bedford County)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Only USA 4-Meter Amateur Band Beacon.

Good Receive DX target for 30-88 MHz equipment owners.
Beacon is located atop Apple Orchard Mountain (4,300 feet) in Bedford County, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

-----------------------------

WG2XPN 70 MHz Beacon update

WG2XPN 70 MHz Beacon update | Southgate Amateur Radio News

Brian WA1ZMS/4, licensee of the 3 kW ERP 70.005 MHz WG2XPN beacon, reports the license has been renewed until May 1, 2017

The Experimental License for WG2XPN with one-way only beacon operations on 70.005 MHz with 3 kW ERPd from here in the US (QTH: FM07fm) has been renewed until May 1, 2017.

As such, it gives the only 4m North American beacon a chance to be heard via TA in the Europe for another 2 years. That’s a good thing in my mind. Thanks again goes to the FCC & the Society of Broadcast Engineers here in the US for their continued support; after all this portion of spectrum is still reserved for TV service only and no US 4m ham band appears possible in the future.

W4UVV

Q5 S4 in Prince George Co., VA

Only USA 4-Meter Amateur Band Beacon.

Good Receive DX target for 30-88 MHz equipment owners.
Beacon is located atop Apple Orchard Mountain (4,300 feet) in Bedford County, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

-----------------------------

WG2XPN 70 MHz Beacon update

WG2XPN 70 MHz Beacon update | Southgate Amateur Radio News

Brian WA1ZMS/4, licensee of the 3 kW ERP 70.005 MHz WG2XPN beacon, reports the license has been renewed until May 1, 2017

The Experimental License for WG2XPN with one-way only beacon operations on 70.005 MHz with 3 kW ERPd from here in the US (QTH: FM07fm) has been renewed until May 1, 2017.

As such, it gives the only 4m North American beacon a chance to be heard via TA in the Europe for another 2 years. That’s a good thing in my mind. Thanks again goes to the FCC & the Society of Broadcast Engineers here in the US for their continued support; after all this portion of spectrum is still reserved for TV service only and no US 4m ham band appears possible in the future.

Curious, I tuned to 70.005 mhz. on one of my ICOM R7000 receivers and tower mounted preamped Scantennas. Reception here of the CW callsign beacon is Q5 S4....good audio tone. My LOS path to Apple Orchard Mtn.is approximately 150 miles almost due west.

I assume the beacon is located with the other shared common site users such as the FBI, FAA, USFS, other federal users and amateur radio meter repeaters, etc. When last on the BRP I made a point of looking for the entrance access the site which I did find. It is somewhat surprising to me that with all the other RF activity there that a 3KW beacon on 70 mhz. had not caused RFI to other users.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.