Somethings Changed USFS channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what but something has changed with one of the USFS channels. Maybe a new repeater up or an increase in power or something.

172.650 4f9 suddenly started coming in loud and clear a couple of days ago. I've never picked it up before although its been in my scanners.

Very busy channel. Mixed clear and encrypted. All digital.

Its in the database but something has changed and I thought it might be of interest to anyone who monitors Federal stuff.

Also the last couple of times I've been down in Roanoke I've been picking up BRP Work 2 163.1 P25 and it sounds like a repeater on it.

Will be back on Tuesday and will try to get an NAC. Didn't sound like work crews though from what I can remember.

ecps92

172.6500 is NPS not USFS
Shenandoah NP - Bucks Elbow Repeater

Keep in mind Work 2 is shared with many agencies, to include Federal LE and might not be NPS or USFS

Also keep in-mind the bands have been open up-n-down the Coast the past few weeks
http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

I'm not sure what but something has changed with one of the USFS channels. Maybe a new repeater up or an increase in power or something.

172.650 4f9 suddenly started coming in loud and clear a couple of days ago. I've never picked it up before although its been in my scanners.

Very busy channel. Mixed clear and encrypted. All digital.

Its in the database but something has changed and I thought it might be of interest to anyone who monitors Federal stuff.

Also the last couple of times I've been down in Roanoke I've been picking up BRP Work 2 163.1 P25 and it sounds like a repeater on it.

Will be back on Tuesday and will try to get an NAC. Didn't sound like work crews though from what I can remember.

W4UVV

172.6500 mhz SNP

172.6500 is NPS not USFS
Shenandoah NP - Bucks Elbow Repeater

Keep in mind Work 2 is shared with many agencies, to include Federal LE and might not be NPS or USFS

Also keep in-mind the bands have been open up-n-down the Coast the past few weeks
VHF Propagation Map

I agree. The SNP Bucks Elbow Repeater located in Albemarle Co., is approximately a 90 mi. LOS path to the Covington area.

John
W4UVV.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Ecps92 thanks for the info on BRP Work 2 I didn't know that. Didn't end up picking anything up on that while I was in Roanoke today.

Sorry about the USFS thing. I have a bunch of stuff entered under "Federal Rangers" and the 650 freq is one of them. I always associate rangers with the Forrest Service so that's why I put it up like that.

My mistake.

Well open bands would explain it. I thought maybe they'd added a repeater or upped their power or something like that. Which means it'll go away soon too. :)

Thanks again for the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.