Medina County 700 MHz P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Medina County has applied to the FCC to license the construction of a multi-site, Project 25 simulcast TRS. Will this new system become part of MARCS-IP TRS?

73's

Ron

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Saw that a week or two ago. If you read the documents submitted it discusses reserved ISSI ports for MARCS / Cleveland. Even mentions how the system will be set up so that the talkgroups will be the same regardless of what system they are on. Also mentioned that having MARCS available would allow county agencies to roam all over the place.

But, a lot of it sounded like it was written by someone who didn't know much about what they were talking about. I mean unless they are on MARCS, and unless they are paying fundage to MARCS per radio, I cant imagine them having full roaming for county agencies . Most agencies i most counties aren't permitted to roam I don't think [by virtue of them not wanting to pay the increased price for that flexibility in that particular agency / not needing coverage outside of county].

Somebody else will have to read the documents and see what they can read into it.

Unless something has changed since April, I'd say no they are not partnering with MARCS and will have a standalone county P25 system:

http://www.cleveland.com/medina/index.ssf/2015/04/medina_county_police_firefight.html

Mike

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Could be a Tier 4 or Tier 5 partnership where the county builds a standalone system, maintains it, but shares core resources with MARCS, and determines who roams where.

Geauga Co. has a Tier 4 relationship. Geauga County users acess their system, but can roam throughout the State. MARCS users can roam while in Geauga Co on their system. No additional subscription fees. Win/Win.

I agree that the article was written with little understanding or it just may have been misrepresented when they were selling it to their commissioners.

First Responders at 9/11 died contributed to communication issues because it was an analog system? There is a federal mandate, subsequently, to go digital? ...Yet, many of these new digital systems still have analog simplex frequencies to use at working incidents. ...Hmm.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I wonder why they only mentioned GCRCN, MARCS, and Parma P25. What about all the Summit county systems they interact with?

Barberton P25 - Chippewa calls Norton a lot.
Bath - Granger
Richfield - Granger, again
Summit P25 - Chippewa, again
Summit 800 - needed when any of the above go to a MAC channel

Nasby

The article was written in early April and says that the project should be completed in the next 3 months, has any of the frequencies gone live?

MotorolaDave

Has anyone heard if agencies not dispatched by the sheriff's office will consider joining this system? Cities like Brunswick, Medina and Wadsworth. I would hope they join as it seems silly for only the sheriff's office to utilize the system.

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
I had that same thought Dave! The application did say they were not giving back the conventional frequencies. I sure hope everyone joins.

Nasby

Delete what?

I deleted the question I posted about the Parma System. I figured it out by looking at the database.

You have to put something in the original post to cancel the text so I simply wrote "delete."

MotorolaDave

I had that same thought Dave! The application did say they were not giving back the conventional frequencies. I sure hope everyone joins.

I talked to someone in the know earlier today and they said the plan is for the other agencies to join eventually. The timing depends on grants for the purchase of the radios and overall cost.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
There is a federal mandate, subsequently, to go digital? ...Yet, many of these new digital systems still have analog simplex frequencies to use at working incidents. ...Hmm.

There is no mandate to go digital, federal or otherwise. But if you want a more advanced public-safety grade system, the manufacturers are only selling digital.

tylerwatt12

Premium Subscriber
License looks like it's approved now. I'll be checking these frequencies the next few weeks. Checked last night and got nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.