Chicago UHF T-Band giveback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Good evening,
how will the Chicago Fire Department deal with the UHF T-Band give back? Finally do you think it will be years before this will be resolved? Thanks

jim202

Good evening,
how will the Chicago Fire Department deal with the UHF T-Band give back? Finally do you think it will be years before this will be resolved? Thanks

Your not alone in asking this question. I believe what has happened was that there was some very strong industry pushing for this and they saw it as a goldmine of income. The FCC fell for the ploy and now has created a major problem that needs to be solved.

Where are all the T band users going to go? They went to T band in the first place because of a lack of channels on other channel space or bands. Narrow banding really hasn't solved the problem of enough channels to move everyone to.

Now we are faced with a possible deadline on the horizon and almost no place to go to. Plus who is going to pay for the movement and replacement radio equipment and antenna systems if you need to change bands. This hasn't been thought out at all and so far the FCC hasn't made any comments on what will steer the change.

All current users will need extra good luck on any move from their current frequency assignments.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good evening,

I highly doubt it will happen any time in the next 20 years. This was such a stupid and poorly thought out plan that it'll take many years for anything to even begin to start.

Just take a look at the 800MHz rebanding. It's been in the works now for 10+ years and it still isn't finished.

RADIOGUY2002

Reality

This is a disaster in the works, the idea is to move public safety over to 700/800. Its all part of the grant money and inter-opt-ability concept. So, where does the funding come from. You answered your own question, the issue is the money in grant funding is not enough to support 40 plus officers or firefighters in several jurisdictions. So, you space the money out and hope the county or an agency gets enough to support it. Or you go after your taxpayers threw 911 county taxes. I agree with the other person, its a joke and wont happen at least for ten years if not more. You still have way to many business and agencies that still not have narrow banded. Plus, with motorola dropping support for even more public safety radios the choices are being limited and being redone as motorola solutions read into that any way you want. You probably will being seeing a push more towards digital formats such as ndxn or idas or trbo or p25.

Status
Not open for further replies.