Monmouth North Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

40yearvol

The channel has been up and running since before May and still has a lot of distortion that I would describe as picket fencing or a motor boating sound. I'm not referring to a hand held or mobile input to the repeater system but seems to be the repeater system it self. Its not constant but seems to be most of the time. I live in the North area and receive central and south response clearer then north. When listening via a truck or hand set the distortion doesn't seem as bad however its still there.

Experts,
Is this the nature of the simulcast system that was put together for county? Is there anyway to improve scanner reception?

scannersnstuff

thank you. i guess it ain't just my imagination !. i do believe it's a simulcast issue. if i expounded anymore on the subject, i would just be repeating what you said. however, my south reception seem's to be the worst as of late. i live smack dab on the border of north/central land, in the north zone. bring back the old system !.

squad1321

I don't really notice too much distortion from my location, however, I do notice some of mobile transmissions sound like the user has the mic way in their mouth. Wondering if a mobile in close proximity to a tower, who is pushing 110w, might cause some over modulation in the simulcasted/repeated transmission???

dynamitesc03

I haven't really noticed much distortion from the North Response from my location either. Now for South/Central at times get them real good but most times distortion and not very clear. I'm in the Hazlet area. Could also be that I am using the antenna that it came with, but I don't know cause in the truck North is fine and south/central are just like when I the home.

40yearvol

I'm also using the antenna supplies with the scanner. I have found that if I position the antenna at a 45 degree angle instead of vertical I receive n,c & s with less distortion and fading. I always thought vertical would be the optimum position, maybe because of simulcast characteristics 45 d works better for an indoor antenna

squad1321

This is a little off the topic of North, but does anyone (besides me) not hear South Page in the clear? All weekend long, I noticed it was completely unreadable with distortion and garble...almost like it was encrypted. North and Central Page sound OK.

scannersnstuff

i've actually been picking south page and response pretty well. the picket fencing sounds a little worse since the weather got cooler.

40yearvol

@squad1321 I'm receiving south paging exactly as you describe in Middletown

The picket fencing is worse on North paging and response, central and south not too bad at my location

ProgMan66

I may have the answer to the "motorboating" problem. I think it's coming from the DPL encoders on the transmitters you are listening to. I'm not sure if they are simulcasting, but I have noticed on other systems that use DPL have the same motorboating sound on their transmitters. Phase distortion is probably what's causing this to happen. It gets worse if the signal is weak or you are in the middle of two or more simulcasted transmitters on a given channel. I notice the same phenomenon when PL is being used, but it is not as bad. Just figured I'd share this idea and see what you think.

RELWOB

I live in Red Bank. North and central response have been coming in ok. Today was the first time, I heard south response not sound like garbage for the first time in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.