• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM F21 "beep"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I have an ICOM F21GM (same as an F21 without "GM" factory programming as far as I know) that all of a sudden started to emit a loud beep when I key it.

I use it as a GMRS small base station. It sits in a charger all the time and uses an external mike and antenna.

The user manual is vague on the "beep". I think it maybe is supposed to beep when you turn it on, but since it has been on continuously for about 4 years I don't recall for sure.

I am thinking that the battery pack is toast and when I key it the battery pack voltage drops and it power resets itself and "beeps" as it powers back on but I am sort of guessing. It no longer actually transmits when keyed, just beeps.

The charger shows "green" (charged) all the time.

I have a new battery coming but wondered if anyone knew more than me if a bad battery pack is the likely culprit?

Rick

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, storing the radio in the charger is one of the harsher things you can do to the battery.

So what exactly happens?
Key up radio?
Radio resets?
Radio beeps?
Radio resets?
Radio beeps?
etc. etc. etc...

Or does it just beep continually when you key up?

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Ya, I know storing it in the charger is bad... so is drinking too much beer ;-)

It held up several years.

It beeps for about 3 seconds every time I key it. It sounds just like the beep that it beeps when it gets turned on. Is it a low battery beep maybe? It does not actually transmit when the mike is keyed.

The manual (both user and also service) does not talk about this.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Dang it. ruined my afternoon.

It held up several years.

It beeps for about 3 seconds every time I key it. It sounds just like the beep that it beeps when it gets turned on. Is it a low battery beep maybe? It does not actually transmit when the mike is keyed.

The manual (both user and also service) does not talk about this.

Sounds like it's the battery and it's just going through a restart sequence. I'd bet your new battery will fix the issue. A number of our older Motorola's would do the same thing.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I hope your right... I almost think it did something like this once before when it didn't sit right in the charger and the battery went dead. Crossing my fingers... otherwise I just spent 35 bucks for a battery that fits a brick.

Plus if it is a brick, I would no doubt use that as an excuse to buy something better. I have a VHF commercial ICOM F5021 transceiver for a part 90 VHF base station. It would look more symmetrical with a matching UHF F6021 sitting next to it. At least I already have the cable and software it it comes to that.

I'll post something when it comes in.

12dbsinad

But, it's better than drinking tons of soda, isn't it!?

Yep, battery pack is toast. It's drawing to much during TX and basically re-poweing itself, thus the power on beep when keyed. I'd bet a 6 pack on it... hell, maybe even a 12 pack ;-)

seh911

Feed Provider
When the battery on this radio runs out of juice, it does emit a constant beep. Really annoying when you forget to turn it off, battery runs down in the middle of the night, and it takes you awhile to find it.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I did have it "not quite in the charger" at least once. The battery does seem to like to go dead around 3AM.

cabletech

Radio in charger, turned on and trying to transmit and getting BEEP> YES YES YES BAD BATTERY

People just due not under stand that keeping a radio in a charger all the does not keep the battery charged.

Unless you have the very high $$ SMART CHARGER, (that WILL not due NiCad's) then when the battery is charged, the charging circuit turns off and now you have a DISCHARGE unit.

The same thing happens when you have the radio in the charger and you leave the radio turned on, it is always discharging.

I have a lot of customers that I deal with that due the same thing then ***** when the radio does not work.

After betting them on the head about NOT leaving it in the charger, then they find out the batteries last 3 times as long.

This whole thing is like having a hole in a bucket and still trying to fill it with water and it never gets full.

Turn radio off, place in charger, remove after 2 hours, then use it unit it beeps again, then do a recharge and start over.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I totally agree. I have a number of VHF ICOM F3021's that I pull out of the charger when they are charged.

This one is being used as a GMRS "small base" however. Leaving it in the charger is the easiest way to do that.

If I can get another 4 years out of another $35 battery I will accept the risk.

I know there are fancier ways to do this, and if I stumble across a really good deal on a UHF F6021, I will probably snag it and use it instead. I already have a battery backed up power source for my F5021 VHF base, so it would take about 5 minutes to do the installation. For now though, the F21 is doing the job.

BTW, I have lost a few of the batteries on the F3021's as well. even though I treat them much better. NiMH batteries seem to age no matter if you use them or not.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that many "internet stores" are really old ladies in trailer parks working off a PC on their kitchen table.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
replacement battery pack arrived.

Beep gone... life is good... it's Miller time (well, actually, its homebrew Oktoberfest time).

Status
Not open for further replies.