LACOFD Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkenny53

Having read more info on antenna placement for LACOFD, I see they are pushing 43 watts out of Catalina, rather than the Rolling Hills site. What I don't understand is the poor reception from a direct line of site off the palos verdes hill. Blue 1 and Blue 8 are barely auditable. Blue 3/12 I hear better from Zuma from PV. This would certainly explain why Blue 1 is not very good covering the basin. It seems not all channels are being broadcast from all sites. Any reason or logic? Forget about the rest of the area for Blue 1. Oh I use BCD436/536

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Well, it would help in the analysis if you mentioned where you are trying to monitor from.

Other factors to consider include directional antennas at transmit sites.

tkenny53

I am listing from the palos vedes point location with a discone antenna 15 ft off the ground

hpycmpr

Rolling Hills site is on the northeast side of the hill rather than the top and you're on the opposite side. No direct line of site is likely. Directional antennas are also possible.
You're right that not all frequencies are on all sites.
Steve

tkenny53

They no longer transmit from the rolling hills tower, they moved it to Catalina. Only MDT are running off of RH.

PaulNDaOC

ISD which is the county department that maintains the radio system does not run the full authorized transmit power on Sheriff sites, could also be the same for fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.