No FCC calls Signs: Chambers and Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
On the Txwarn P25 tower for Chamber county and others there not assigned FCC call Letters. So Who are in charge of the Towers?

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It's kind of a balancing act. An "excellent" submission contains all parts and pieces needed to add the site to the DB. If the call sign is available then it should be submitted with the rest of the site info. However, all info is not always known or available at submit time - and we want the new site in the DB as quickly as possible then we go with what we have. If the Admin has extra time and a low workload then we can look it up. When things are busy and/or submissions are stacked up then we don't have the time to research all the individual elements. On the other hand if a user sees a missing callsign, the user can look it up and submit a callsign update; that helps us out quite a bit.

Thanks,
Russell

Last edited:

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
I would like to thank you two for helping me out. I was looking for a call sign in the database and then went to the FCC database could not find a license for chamber for example. So I was lost. But thank for the call sign, I did not know they rented there radio services. Years back before they move to there 800 system I was on the Winnie Fire Department that's when owned there tower and (155.805) frequencies. Now there on 700 system and are renting it. thank for your help.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
They do not "rent" radio services, they are a partner agency with Harris County. They own the infrastructure and subscribers but Harris County holds the licenses for the 700 MHz channels. Other sites in the TxWARN system utilize 700 channels licensed to the state, which would not show up under any call sign as the state holds a blanket license.

teknishun

It's kind of a balancing act. An "excellent" submission contains all parts and pieces needed to add the site to the DB. If the call sign is available then it should be submitted with the rest of the site info. However, all info is not always known or available at submit time - and we want the new site in the DB as quickly as possible then we go with what we have. If the Admin has extra time and a low workload then we can look it up. When things are busy and/or submissions are stacked up then we don't have the time to research all the individual elements. On the other hand if a user sees a missing callsign, the user can look it up and submit a callsign update; that helps us out quite a bit.

Thanks,
Russell

I have a related question here. I use UniTrunker to monitor sites with and I am pretty sure that on a
simulcast "site" (multiple towers) I have seen the call letters change from time to time if I monitor
long enough. Does this seem reasonable / logical? I always figured it was because the scanner
at that moment had locked onto a different site since all the control channels are the same.

Could different towers in a simulcast system have different call signs?

Martin KF5OPQ

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I have a related question here. I use UniTrunker to monitor sites with and I am pretty sure that on a
simulcast "site" (multiple towers) I have seen the call letters change from time to time if I monitor
long enough. Does this seem reasonable / logical? I always figured it was because the scanner
at that moment had locked onto a different site since all the control channels are the same.

Could different towers in a simulcast system have different call signs?

Martin KF5OPQ

Absolutely! Look at TxWARN; a system with a collection of licenses contributed by tons of agencies. Many sites have different call signs; even different licensee names. Even single agencies commonly have different call signs for different towers under the same licensee. Try looking at the FRN..

Status
Not open for further replies.