BCD536HP 12v Vehicle Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbynuts

Premium Subscriber
My BCD536HP is installed in my truck for mobile operation, and the 12 volt power supply wires are connected directly to the battery ( fused). I recently noticed that if the radio is in use / scanning with the engine off it will restart / reboot once I start the engine causing anything I was monitoring to be monetarily lost until the radio restarts. I understand that the high current draw of the engine starter causes a momentary voltage drop, but doesn't the radio have an internal battery to avoid this situation? Is what I'm experiencing normal?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is a normal situation.

There is an internal battery, but it has limited purposes keeping the real time clock going, I think. It doesn't "help" when there is a voltage drop, such as due to engine start.

It's worth nothing that any changes you have made, such as turning on/off quick keys, avoiding channels/departments/etc. are lost when re-boot occurs. The way to avoid this would be powering down the scanner before re-starting the vehicle. That's so the changes are written to the SD card for your next scanning session.

There are those who say you are asking for trouble by not powering down the scanner before it is subject to voltage interuption. I've had my scanner on an ignition circuit ever since they came out and not experienced any issues. It has gone through at least 1,000 power loss cycles.

bobbynuts

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response, and pointing out the lost of any avoids or quick key settings. Fortunately I don't have a lot avoids or quick keys setup yet which would definitely would be troublesome. I always power down prior to shutting my ignition off when parking, however, when getting gas I leave the scanner on while I fuel up , and this is where I first noticed this problem. I will no power down always before starting my truck.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with mine when I installed it in the truck. With the variety of issues these scanners "seem" to have already, I was concerned it may live a very short life if I left it like that. Originally, I had my scanner connected through a west mountain radio power guard, with the power guard connected directly to the battery. The power guard will disconnect the load if the supply(battery) voltage drops below a selected level. The power guard wasn't hitting the dropout voltage, but the voltage was dropping low enough to reboot the scanner.

The solution that worked for me( so far), a dc-dc converter. The one I picked up has an input range of ~9-18vdc, it will then maintain the set output voltage. It works perfect for me. I set a 12.5 Vdc output and it stays there. It's not waterproof and should be mounted in some sort of enclosure, but I think it was less than $30 for the model I bought.

SD-50A-12: MEAN WELL: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

I only went with the 4.2a since I'm just using it for the scanner.

Jeff

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... as with any scanner with a data card... never start the engine with the radio on... you always have to turn it off when you start your engine... you will corrupt the card fast that way and loose info...

slwilson28625

Premium Subscriber
JSteemann......does the unit you bought require any special wiring or does it connect with the 536 unit wiring harness? This sounds like what I need. I work out of my car and am in and out of it at least 7-10 times a day.

slwilson28625

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with mine when I installed it in the truck. With the variety of issues these scanners "seem" to have already, I was concerned it may live a very short life if I left it like that. Originally, I had my scanner connected through a west mountain radio power guard, with the power guard connected directly to the battery. The power guard will disconnect the load if the supply(battery) voltage drops below a selected level. The power guard wasn't hitting the dropout voltage, but the voltage was dropping low enough to reboot the scanner.

The solution that worked for me( so far), a dc-dc converter. The one I picked up has an input range of ~9-18vdc, it will then maintain the set output voltage. It works perfect for me. I set a 12.5 Vdc output and it stays there. It's not waterproof and should be mounted in some sort of enclosure, but I think it was less than $30 for the model I bought.

SD-50A-12: MEAN WELL: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

I only went with the 4.2a since I'm just using it for the scanner.

Jeff
JStemann......does the unit you bought require any special wiring or does it connect with the 536 unit wiring harness? This sounds like what I need. I work out of my car and am in and out of it at least 7-10 times a day.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay, hadn't checked in for a while. There's no special wiring needed. I ran a fused(5 or 10amp) positive and a non-fused neg from the battery to the input side. Then connected the uniden supplied pigtail to the output side. The dc-dc converter has a separate ground connection, which I connected to the truck chassis close to the converter. I don't really think the separate ground was necessary but, went ahead & hooked it up anyway.

It's really straight forward to hook up, just have to find a good place to put it. I picked up a small plastic case to put mine in and drilled a few holes for airflow. Although, it seems to stay right around ambient temp.

Jeff.

kb8rvp

My BCD536HP is installed in my truck for mobile operation, and the 12 volt power supply wires are connected directly to the battery ( fused). I recently noticed that if the radio is in use / scanning with the engine off it will restart / reboot once I start the engine causing anything I was monitoring to be monetarily lost until the radio restarts. I understand that the high current draw of the engine starter causes a momentary voltage drop, but doesn't the radio have an internal battery to avoid this situation? Is what I'm experiencing normal?

I'm running firmware 1.01.05 on my 536HP and have no issues with the scanner rebooting when I start the car. You can go into setting to get the current firmware version and then try this version in case you want to go back you will know what version you have now. You can go to this site to download any version you like: Index of /files/firmwares

You just need to download the firmware and copy it to the firmware folder on the SD card in the scanner then unplug the programming cable to update the firmware.

Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Of the 3 scanners I have the 996XT won't reboot on engine start. The 996P2 will reboot, but has no SD card and the 536HP will reboot. My 2 meter/ 440 radio also does not reboot on engine start.

slwilson28625

Premium Subscriber
JStemann.....one more quick question...where did you mount your unit, under the hood or somewhere in the passenger area? Just trying to decide which location would work best for me. Thanks again for the info.

fenderblue

Premium Subscriber
SD-50A-12Powe supply works!

Thanks JStemann for the tip of installing a power supply. That works great, now don't have to listen to the hissing while cranking up the vehicle if there is a transmission and the scanner does not reboot. mounted behind my hump radios etc., actually just laying there.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
JStemann.....one more quick question...where did you mount your unit, under the hood or somewhere in the passenger area? Just trying to decide which location would work best for me. Thanks again for the info.

Passenger area. I have a crew cab pickup and mounted it under the rear seats. The converter I used isn't weatherproof, so you'd have to find a good weatherproof enclosure if you want it mounted outside of the passenger area.

Jeff.

slwilson28625

Premium Subscriber
Installed my converter today in the glove box. Works great! No more rebooting....should have done this sooner. I highly recommend this fix.

fenderblue

Premium Subscriber
Do you shut the scanner off at all. If I leave mine on for 2 days my car won't start. 2 year old battery. I didn't notice as bad before I put my converter in. But it is nice not letting it reboot. I don't know how much the 536 draws but my RS Pro2046 will deaden battery in my truck in 3-4 days. I guess i could use the key switch wire that will kill it but it will still reboot i think?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Do you shut the scanner off at all. If I leave mine on for 2 days my car won't start. 2 year old battery. I didn't notice as bad before I put my converter in. But it is nice not letting it reboot. I don't know how much the 536 draws but my RS Pro2046 will deaden battery in my truck in 3-4 days. I guess i could use the key switch wire that will kill it but it will still reboot i think?

Sounds like it's time for a new battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.