225-400 in 1.5 seconds. The best MilAir setup I've encountered yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
This is the overall best setup for MilAir monitoring I've come up with yet.

It's a TACO 225-400 antenna with 225-400 filter then Angle Linear low noise preamp. This feeds an Airspy operated by SDR Sharp with the Frequency Scanner plugin
Сканер + поиск новых частот. by Vasili Beliakov.

Each installation will be unique but I have the Airspy set:
IF Gain 6
Mixer Gain 6
LNA Gain 9
10 MHz width

SDR#:

Mode is AM
Bandwidth is 10,000
Step is 25,000

Frequency Scanner:
Entry created for MilAir 225,000,000 - 400,000,000
SNR 20
Hysteresis 18
Next 2.0
Detect 50 ms

It takes a bit of time to lock out the offending carriers and various noise in the system and environment using the large red X button. Once the spectrum is normalized this setup will rocket across the 225-400 range literally in 1.5 seconds. It locks on, records and logs each transmission as it goes.

The amount of traffic I'm getting is ludicrous.

Here is a quick video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkf6kv8yWdg

Last edited:

com501

Better get your preamps while you can, Chip is retiring and the company is not going to continue.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Which pre amplifier would I need? He offers different kinds!

prcguy

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Pretty neat,

I am assuming you using the latest Frequency Scanner Suite. I can't seem to figure out the audio recording part. Where are the recorded files located?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Amazing!

Running my new airspy with this plugin is astonishing. Thanks for the setup tip!

JB

mancow

Database Admin
Running my new airspy with this plugin is astonishing. Thanks for the setup tip!

JB

Also, you can link ranges by selecting them with shift or ctrl. I was searching VHF 118-136 and UHF 225-400 linked in less than 2 seconds. As you said, it's astonishing.

I really wish lowband would get active again. This would be great for searching that range.

mancow

Database Admin
Pretty neat,

I am assuming you using the latest Frequency Scanner Suite. I can't seem to figure out the audio recording part. Where are the recorded files located?

I am running the frequency scanner made by the Russian guy, not the pre-packaged group of plugins (although I do have that installed as well). I lost track of who made the recorder plugin. This one has a button for configure and folder select so you can direct it where you want.

If I recall, the original recorder sends everything to whatever folder SDR# resides in.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Good stuff, I will dig into the Russian sites

Thanks

mancow

Database Admin
After normalizing the spectrum a bit more I am able up to the full 225-400 range in just about .5 seconds.

That's the entire range TWICE a second!

brandon

Database Admin
mancow this is mindblowing awesome! Thank you for sharing this setup configuration and tips. Just tried it and once the birdies are locked out it worked really good. Also ran it on a federal search and was cool to see all of the signals automatically tuning.

Now just need a way to record each transmission with freq+filename, similiar to how ProScan does it :) Any ideas on plugins that might do this?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Normalizing?

Mancow you mentioned speeding up the search. What does normalizing the spectrum mean?

THX

mancow

Database Admin
Normalizing- locking out persistent signals do you are left with a clean spectrum.

As for recording. There is a plugin at the same site that provides squelch controlled recording. It will write each new freq to a file if you want it to.

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WOW!!!!! JUST WOW!!!!!!!!

mancow you da man, What do I need to get that up & running for VHF low band like you touched on in your original post? I don't think I'll require preamps or any of those other add ons for low band, just the basic setup, awesome video, the speed.....INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.