OKWIN 700 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

There is a new application for several 700 MHz statewide mobile frequencies.
ULS Application - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - 0006955181 - OKLAHOMA, STATE OF
Four of the frequencies are limited to 2 W by FCC rules but they applied for 35 W. It will be interesting to see if the application is returned.

Here is the attachment to the application. It appears to have nothing to do with it and says they are adding some frequencies to two of the OKWIN licenses, but there are no other pending applications. I'm not sure if this is the 700 or 800 MHz region 34 planning committee.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=19767432&attachmentInd=applAttach

Last edited:

w5tor

Premium Subscriber
I was told by an O.S. U official that their some dicussions for expanding Okwin to Northwest Creek County with a tower near drumright or Northwest of that city. Creek County was to to pay for that location. With budget shortfalls and the Oklahoma income dropiing it might be a while.

nd5y

Another thing I noticed is the Shawnee site has more frequencies licensed than what is shown in the DB and they recently added 3 more.

peterjmag

I don't think the pending 700mhz frequencies are a new site due to MO designation. If it was a new repeater site they would have an FB2 designation and location. As for Creek building a new site near Drumright that is news to me. Honestly, if they should build a new site it should probably be either in Ponca City, Pawhuska, and or Bartlesville since Trook K jumped on board last year. Northwest Creek county should be currently covered by Stillwater, Bristow, and Kellyville sites. Like stated funds are currently lacking and I think the state is more interested in the P25 transition as stated in their master plan. I have heard rumors that analog will no longer be supported and the switch to P25 is imperative by 2017. The state has learned the hard way by trying to fund repairs and locating parts for old low band OHP radios from the 60s I wonder if the old analog 800mhz will soon suffer the same fate? We shall see...BTW here is a link to OKWIN and it's daily ops and agenda.

Oklahoma Wireless Information Network - Home

n5bew1

There is a new application for several 700 MHz statewide mobile frequencies.
ULS Application - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz - 0006955181 - OKLAHOMA, STATE OF
Four of the frequencies are limited to 2 W by FCC rules but they applied for 35 W. It will be interesting to see if the application is returned.

Here is the attachment to the application. It appears to have nothing to do with it and says they are adding some frequencies to two of the OKWIN licenses, but there are no other pending applications. I'm not sure if this is the 700 or 800 MHz region 34 planning committee.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=19767432&attachmentInd=applAttach

Tracking down the locations mentioned in the PDF file letter the locations listed for both callsigns are all at the new 460 ft tower at DPS on NE 36th for whatever that is worth.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I have heard rumors that analog will no longer be supported and the switch to P25 is imperative by 2017. The state has learned the hard way by trying to fund repairs and locating parts for old low band OHP radios from the 60s I wonder if the old analog 800mhz will soon suffer the same fate?

"Subscriber units" (hts, mobiles) aren't the problem here, as there are many vendors that will supply what you need, but it's the site controllers and associated "back office" stuff that's the problem.

Most of the /\/\otorola Type II vintage stuff is EOLed by that date, so yes, if they want supported equipment, they'd need to upgrade. As noted, there is no money (I've heard the state budget hole will be on the order of $1 to $1.5B next year - clearly we need to cut income taxes) so I expect the people in charge of OKWIN will be told to Get Creative.

Norman's little part of the system (Site 40) is going to get updated because Norman passed an undesignated public safety sales tax a few years back so if they don't spend it all on police tanks and million-dollar tower ladders, they'll have a new system here soon enough.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Garage Sale

I recently picked up a Bearcat BC250d scanner.
I am able to hear okla county but i haven't figured out if this scanner will pickup the okwin system.
Anyone here that has a Bc250 and can help with what it will cover. I am in Edmond OK.

Thanks Ed

nd5y

Here is the attachment to the application. It appears to have nothing to do with it and says they are adding some frequencies to two of the OKWIN licenses,
FCC didn't like their application and returned it. I missed that a couple weeks ago.
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/let...T&radioServiceCode=SY&op=LetterPdf&letterTo=L

Stephen

I know as far as low band they were using primarily the Kenwood mobiles, though when it comes to the big transmitters what is still available on the market now days?

Status
Not open for further replies.