• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about scanning a trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcimmino1996

I know little to nothing about trunk systems. My question is could I monitor a trunk system with a portable radio. I know it's a UHF Motorola Type II Smart Zone trunk system. I want to be able to scan the Ocean County Fire/ EMS trunk system using a radio instead of a scanner since I already have a uhf radio that I think might be capable of doing it. Was hoping to save money instead of getting a scanner.

KK4ELO

Look for the sticky at the top of this forum about using Moto radios to monitor trunked systems. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know little to nothing about trunk systems. My question is could I monitor a trunk system with a portable radio. I know it's a UHF Motorola Type II Smart Zone trunk system. I want to be able to scan the Ocean County Fire/ EMS trunk system using a radio instead of a scanner since I already have a uhf radio that I think might be capable of doing it. Was hoping to save money instead of getting a scanner.

It can be done, but there are many reasons not to do it.

There are some work arounds using the scan function, but I've never done it, someone who has could probably help you.

The reasons not to do it:
Unless you know exactly how to do it, you run the risk of your radio affiliating with the system. If this happens it raises some major red flags with the system administrators, and can lead to them "bricking" your radio.
Accidental affiliation can take resources away from the public safety professionals that really do need access to the system.
Programming SmartNet/SmartZone systems isn't easy. If you haven't done it before make sure you get some experienced help. It's not impossible to do, but the programming software isn't very intuitive for the average user.

You'd need to have a system key to access the system, and you won't get that from the system administrator. You can "hack" your own, but then they can nail you on some legal stuff for illegally accessing their system.

rcimmino1996

i definitely don't want to interfere with the system or mess it up. I have heard of programming it to not affiliate itself with the trunk system but I have no clue at all how to program it and I don't have the software to do it. I have an HT 1250 as a scanner for the county Fire/ EMS conventional VHF frequencies. But it sounds like hooking one up to scan the trunk system would be really complicated without getting caught or screwing up the system. I thought it would be a little easier because I don't want it to transmit

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have an HT 1250 as a scanner for the county Fire/ EMS conventional VHF frequencies. But it sounds like hooking one up to scan the trunk system would be really complicated without getting caught or screwing up the system. I thought it would be a little easier because I don't want it to transmit

HT-1250 won't do SmartNet or SmartZone trunking, so no need to be concerned. There are many radios that will do what you want, but by the time you purchased the radio, battery, charger, programming software and cable, you'd be better off purchasing a suitable scanner. It'll be much easier to program.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
You could program your HT1250 to monitor the individual transmit frequencies of the system but you won't be following many conversations that way. Particularly when the system is at high utilization.

To follow a trunked system you need a radio or scanner capable of handling that particular trunking format.

Otherwise, you'll pretty pick up random transmissions instead of complete conversations.

The exception is when the system is very quiet, not busy at all. Then you might hear both sides of a conversation.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I know the ht1250 isn't capable of trunking. I said I use that to scan the VHF conventional channels. I have another radio that Is UHF and trunking capable.

What model UHF radio do you have and what is the flash code. That is how you can tell if the radio is trunking capable. I have an XTS3000 all set up for Ocean county conventional system and non-affiliate trunking for their trunk system. Works great !

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I had no clue when I started out. No software, no cables, nothing. If you burry your head into all the information out there on the web regarding this topic one can usually figure it out. The thread at the top of the forum has useful information as mentioned and most certainly should be read over several times if needed. Also goggling "non-affiliate trunk scan" or "hidden talk group scan" will yield even more helpful information. I suggest both to the original posted here. If you don't have the time to research this stuff you'll need a scanner. Its interesting stuff if you're in to it. Happy reading !

hitechRadio

Your best bet,,in my opinion is as stated in the sticky. is the simple conventional scanning of the site frequencies.

" it's possible to scan a TRS by programming the channels in as conventional with an RX only personality using CQPSK modulation and the unmute rule set to "Digital CSQ"

This is if you are unsure or lack of understanding advanced setup. And is the safest way to get your foot in the door to listening to the system. Without danger of causing issues to the system, make sure RX only is set.

I use this method on our system, I am a valid user. So if my radio gets Bricked/stunned I fix it.LOL I use the easier method to monitor our system of all users, from time to time. And find it very useful, for different reasons. You may find it will work for you just fine.

I do not recommend the advanced scanning of a system to any one that is just starting out, System administrator/s get a joy out of bricking radio's, ( I am talking high fives and stuff in the office, when we see a passive set go through,,LOL) so far I have 3 golden stars on the wall for invalid users. I assume setting up there radios to scan the system TG's incorrectly.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Can I get some gold stars for every radio I used to passively monitor a system with out getting bricked ? :p

hitechRadio

Can I get some gold stars for every radio I used to passively monitor a system with out getting bricked ? :p

Sure!!!!!

I don't have a problem pass mon a system with a actual radio that has I/Q and designed for the systems being monitored and programmed correctly. If done correctly I won't no about it.

Most people would just stick with scanners. But due to the HUGE design flaw in them. I can see why people would want a REAL radio to monitor, Especially for simulcast.

If the Scanner companies would come out with a decent scanner,,,THAT WORKS! At a reasonable price. Then a scanner would be the way to go for most people.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.

The only time I ever had a radio inhibited, it was when I got one from a county auction that had been condemned as unrepairable.

So of course I fixed it in about half an hour.

It was a M/A-Com era P7100IP and it had been run over by a fire truck. But the PC board itself,
the important part, was undamaged.

I had plenty of scrap radios of the same type to use as spares so I transferred the good board to a new set of everything.

I then had a perfectly good radio that was live on the system.

Being, fundamentally, very much on the side of law and order and doing everything properly, I
contacted the agency that used to have the radio and explained the situation and requested that they
assist me in getting the radio deprogrammed so it could be used for receive only.

Really I was just testing them.

They stunned the radio within a few minutes.

And I programmed it right back up with my usual scanning file. Which had more in it, of course.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Sure!!!!!

I don't have a problem pass mon a system with a actual radio that has I/Q and designed for the systems being monitored and programmed correctly. If done correctly I won't no about it.

Most people would just stick with scanners. But due to the HUGE design flaw in them. I can see why people would want a REAL radio to monitor, Especially for simulcast.

If the Scanner companies would come out with a decent scanner,,,THAT WORKS! At a reasonable price. Then a scanner would be the way to go for most people.

I agree 100%. There was a discussion on these forums a few years back throwing around the idea for a company to step forward and make a professional grade scanner with just public safety bands in it. Something commercial grade and robust and now days something that can handle LSM on phase II systems properly. Obviously Uniden wasn't listening because they're still manufacturing crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.