Can VHF/UHF handie talkies receive wideband and narrowband FM signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hello,
I have a Yaesu FT-60R handie talkie and I was wondering if it can receive narrow band FM and wideband FM signals in its scanning range?
Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Receive? Yes.
If by narrow band FM you mean 2.5KHz deviation and by wide band FM you mean 5KHz deviation.

Most amateur radios use the "wide band" FM, although some newer ones will do narrow band.

Even with the wide band receiver, it'll receive narrow band FM just fine, it'll just sound a little bit quieter.

N0IU

I'm pretty sure it can....

ft60_zpsn2hala7h.jpg

mrweather

I think in this case "wide band reception" just means it can receive signals beyond the standard 2M and 70CM bands. I don't think it differentiates WFM vs. NFM.

MarcoDriver

I have a Kenwood TH-F7 and yes, it recieve wideband FM, and it shows it on the display when doing it ;)

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I think in this case "wide band reception" just means it can receive signals beyond the standard 2M and 70CM bands. I don't think it differentiates WFM vs. NFM.
No, in this case, the OP's question was specifically if the same radio could receive NFM and WFM (actually FM). Here's his original post:

Hello,
I have a Yaesu FT-60R handie talkie and I was wondering if it can receive narrow band FM and wideband FM signals in its scanning range?
Thanks
Seems pretty clear to me.

mrweather

No, in this case, the OP's question was specifically if the same radio could receive NFM and WFM (actually FM).
Sorry, I was referring to the FT-60 advertisement posted by N0IU when I said wide band reception simply referred to the receiver being able to receive outside of the ham bands. There is nothing in that ad about NFM.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Fm reception

The actual difference is 25 khz and 12.5 khz. There was a similar question a few days ago, and yes, all ham radios can receive both. There may be a degradation of audio quality when listening to narrow band FM on a standard radio. The numbers referenced earlier are the deviation of the frequency, not the same as the ones used to designate narrow vs wide. Some systems are even going to 6.25 khz band width.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
The actual difference is 25 khz and 12.5 khz. There was a similar question a few days ago, and yes, all ham radios can receive both. There may be a degradation of audio quality when listening to narrow band FM on a standard radio. The numbers referenced earlier are the deviation of the frequency, not the same as the ones used to designate narrow vs wide. Some systems are even going to 6.25 khz band width.
D-Star uses 6.25 khz band width.......

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Band width

D Star may only use 6.25, but does it very inefficiently. DMR uses 12.5 khz and allows two conservations at the same time. D Star is still alive but not much different than when it first appeared almost 20 years ago. I still have my IC-92AD,

N0IU

Sorry, I was referring to the FT-60 advertisement posted by N0IU when I said wide band reception simply referred to the receiver being able to receive outside of the ham bands. There is nothing in that ad about NFM.

OK, well that is my fault for not reading the ad more carefully! I guess that was my one mistake for October!

W2JMZ

My powerwerx sub-750x mobile rig can both receive and transmit on narrow and wide. Which is useful to me considering the railroad I work for uses narrow band. I also know some beofang HT's can do this as well. My ft-60 can receive but not transmit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
There seems to be lot of confusion between wideband, narrowband, channel spacing, wide deviation, narrow deviation, wide band receivers, whatever.

If you mean narrow and wide channel spacing, then with 12.5kHz channels you can still have +/- 5kHz deviation, but not with 6.25kHz channels of course as you will encroach on the next channel. The wider the deviation, then the louder audio you are going to receive - most radios automatically increase the audio gain when on narrow channel spacing. If your radio won't tune down to xxx.00625MHz frequencies then you don't have narrow channel spacing. You won't be very popular if you start transmitting in a band that is allocated to be in narrow channel spacing if you use a wide deviation, although probably your rig won't let you.
FM broadcasts are on 200kHz channel spacing with 75kHz deviation on the mono channel and more information on subcarriers above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.