Stanley Canyon Tower Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio

Premium Subscriber
For about the last hour, Stanley Canyon control channel shows 5 bars but no radio transmissions. Cedar Heights and Ski Summit receiving properly.

I thought if the tower was down, one would not show the control channel bars.

Any clues?

Thanks.

dw2872

It is strange. I'm not home so cannot look at the control channel data but I do have my 436 locked on that site.

CSFD Squad-7 and Battalion-2 have both tried to call dispatch in the last few minutes on CSFD-1 on the Stanley Canyon site but no answer. A CSPD Stetson Hills division Sgt also.

Must be in "site trunking mode" where it isn't connected to other sites.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Pikes Peak Rangers have been having trouble today too. It has been randomly showing up on Stanley Canyon as well as Cedar Heights, then nothing on Stanley Canyon while Cedar Heights transmit their traffic. That has been the only TG activity I have seen.

NOTE: I have Uniden 296s and 796s with the activity ID feature so I can see what is going on on which ever tower I lock on to.

dw2872

Now I have even just heard a Woodland Park PD officer on TG-4853 calling then doing radio check when nobody answered while on Stanley Canyon.

dw2872

It would be good to use Pro96Com on a neighbor site and see what Stanley Canyon is showing as. I'll look when I get home later but it won't be for a few hours.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Free? Hmm. What is the link or just google Pro96Com?

My other DMA Uniden radios do have the Activity ID feature to, but sadly when you do that, it will NOT do that and monitor the system as well.

dw2872

Ok. Well I just got home and looked at my Pro96Com on Stanley Canyon (4-012) and sure enough, it is in "site trunking mode". Units are still affiliating with this site but they won't be talking to anyone except the others on this site.

Big problem though. It is not just Stanley Canyon... At least two other sites are failed as well.

Templeton Gap (4-022)
Woodland Park (4-015)

No wonder I was hearing Woodland Park PD trying to talk on some of the Colorado Springs sites.

Last edited:

dw2872

I've looked at several sites across El Paso County/Colo Springs (Zone-4) and they all show all three sites either down or in "site trunking mode":

Stanley Canyon (4-012)
Woodland Park (4-015)
Templeton Gap (4-022)

Badger Mountain (zone-1 site, 1-045) shows as up but I have a feeling that Badger Mountain (zone-4, 4-020) is down but cannot confirm from here.

EDIT: It looks like the T-Gap site may have come back online at 10:58 pm with good radio traffic as people started affiliating on it. Who knows how long that will last though. Also, now Stanley Canyon has no control channel transmitting at all.

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Sounds like a major failure with some emergency work being done overnight. I think all those sites require a dedicated line for connectivity and don't have a microwave backup in place. Makes you wonder if the agencies that are severely affected have the proper plans and programming in place to make it through the outage.

dw2872

All the agencies that use Stanley Canyon on a weekday are going to feel the hurt when they have to use sites like T-Gap that get busies and queue transmissions and frustrate users normally anyway.

But even worse, Woodland Park not being able to access the WP site, Badger Mtn, or Stanley Canyon, I bet they are feeling it right now.

By looking at the MOSCAD alarms, it looks like they have been down since 3 pm. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.