Pop then static on BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

goaliebob99

I am monitoring Pima County PCWIN wich is a P25 Phase II system in the 800 mhz range.

What's happening is when ever a transmission is received there is a loud audible pop then static, and behind the static comes the transmission. I emailed uniden support which said it was an issue with the squelch knob (yea right) I emailed them that they were full of it as its not a squelch issue as the radio is scanning between transmissions.

Any idea how I can get rid of the static and loud pop when a transmission starts.

Thanks.

ak4fn

Are you using an amplified speaker? If so, does it do it when using the built in speaker? Just stabbing in the dark, hope you get it figured out.

D

darunimal

First off http://forums.radioreference.com/un...2-clicking-when-transmission-begins-ends.html. Secondly, it sounds like you are using Windows and the microphone input with 10db or 20db boost, it better to turn the scanner volume up to 11 on the scanner and turning Microphone's boost off all together and then somewhere near 3 on the Windows volume slider (0-100), not sure which program your using to broadcast your feed. Also like Uniden said turn Squelch anywhere from 2-15 unless you want extra noise with the squelch setting between 0-1. Your boosting the scanners noise from its own internal audio amplifier, I suspect you have a few additional cables running in and out of the scanner and/or a y cable connected in the feed, but because you list so little information we are left at pulling ideas out of the air. So give use more info and we can help you more or we won't know.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Does it sound that way directly from the scanner's speaker? Or, only when feeding?

goaliebob99

You hear it through the internal speaker on radio as well. The popping is only at the beginning of the decode. It's Pop then static then you hear the persons voice.

I am using windows XP. No microphone boost. Not an option for it with my soundcard.

I am using RadioFeed for my broadcast. I have the squelch at two clicks from the bottom on the radio. The volume on the radio is set to where the A is in alert.

The cable run is directly from the back of the scanner into the line in input on my pc. Nothing in the middle. (Direct connection.)

Here is the location of my feed so you can hear what I am talking about. Tucson Police, Fire and EMS

goaliebob99

I figured it out... I had the audio setup on the headphone port on the radio. I put it on the REC port and its all good now. Thanks for your help.

D

darunimal

Man that sounds alot better, you might be able to turn it down just a smidge, but overall 100% better. Excellent now. Before, that would have caused me audio fatigue in less than an hour.

goaliebob99

Man that sounds alot better, you might be able to turn it down just a smidge, but overall 100% better. Excellent now. Before, that would have caused me audio fatigue in less than an hour.

Yea the goal was to get it sounding this good. It was driving me batty trying to figure out what was going on and why it sounded so horrible. I suspect that now it's set I will just leave it where its at. I did turn down the volume a smudge. Now this is a feed that I can be proud to present.

Sounds like the audio might be encrypted and the scanner is muting the audio.

I dont think that was the issue. :D :)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I don't have Admin rights in this forum so I can't close it or delete post....BUT BOTH OF YOU STOP IT!!!

This is ridiculous, any more comments from either of you will result in infractions.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've cleaned up the thread.

It doesn't take long to read through the thread and understand what the OP is saying.

Shotgun replying doesn't always work and tends to cause mistakes. Please take time to read the entire thread instead of focusing on one post.

Voyager

I apologize for MISSING post #8. I thought I had read the whole thing, but I missed that short but it critical info. I'm human. I DID read the other posts, and thought I had read them all.

I also apologize for being lured into a discussion that drug me down to the level of someone whose recent posts have been mostly cheap shots aimed at me. Next time I will just use the report button.

As I mentioned previously, I was responding to a report that mirrored reports I've helped solve in the past. In those cases, it was an encryption issue. This time it was the same symptom from a different cause. It happens. I had no way of knowing it was not the same issue based on point #1 - missing the post that said that the cause was found. Again, I apologize for missing that one-line post - specifically post #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.