• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The radio being read has been KILLED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Who here has ever seen this message? :cool:

Attachments

• Radio Has Been KILLED!.jpg
    Radio Has Been KILLED!.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,297

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That means the Trunking system administrator sent a kill command to that radio. If this was done by accident then take the radio back to the system administrator to fix. It has to be fixed by the system administrator because it was his key that killed the radio.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
guess that one made it of DRMO with the controller intact.

No, this was pre-DRMO. :cool:

This radio was an XTS5000 green-gear radio, much like the 2500 PRC153. It was tactically inhibited (killed) when the unit tried to read the radio. It came in to be deprogrammed as we migrated to a new TRS. We de-mil'd a bunch of them before sending them to DRMO. You are probably never going to see this error in the wild. I just thought I'd share with everyone and ask if anyone else has ever seen the error.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There have been a lot of hacked XTS5Ks cropping up in the last few years, as you probably know, with fully whored out flashcodes.

This posting illustrates one of the dangers of foolishly adding features you don't understand completely to a radio that doesn't need it and and you couldn't use the feature anyway.

I'm sure somebody has cloned that particular feature set into a radio and ended up killing it in the same manner. Which is really quite funny!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I agree with Elroy, but this radio, along with all of the other ones that we DRMO'd, were all legit Marine Corps radios. So when you see these come across the popular auction sites, they will not have controller boards.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I guess you could if the boards still were functional, but they were de-mil'd/crushed. These had CCI, so they could not be sold to the public.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Will they have the CCI decals still on the bottom of the housing? That alone makes them kind of cool if you're into edgy stuff.

I'm not sure if the controller itself would be a CCI item, but the Sierra cryptographic module itself is the CCI item IF it contains any type 1 encryption formats. If it did not have any of those, and had nothing higher than AES-256, then the Sierra module itself would not be CCI.

However, the Sierra module requires a modified controller to run it. The standard vocon won't work with a Sierra module without modification.

gtaman

Will they have the CCI decals still on the bottom of the housing? That alone makes them kind of cool if you're into edgy stuff.

I'm not sure if the controller itself would be a CCI item, but the Sierra cryptographic module itself is the CCI item IF it contains any type 1 encryption formats. If it did not have any of those, and had nothing higher than AES-256, then the Sierra module itself would not be CCI.

However, the Sierra module requires a modified controller to run it. The standard vocon won't work with a Sierra module without modification.

Most of the ones I've seen/used didn't have CCI labels. I actually do have a real PRC 153 (xts2500) portable. This one I believe was never type 1. It has AES and tactical inhibit. It has a Motorola tag with an NSN and QR code. And the FCC tag. The bottom tag. Is just a plain white tag.

XTS3000

XTS5000

It was not killed by the system admin. It was killed by reading the radio.

In the dynamic block of the codeplug at location 000Ch resides space for the kill command. This block actually is at the end of the binary file in the flash RAM in the radio. In this dynamic block there are two bytes set aside for the kill command. One byte kills the radio, the other byte verifies the radio has been killed by dispatch. Same goes for the radio inhibit. Other stuff in this 000Ch dynamic block is data like mute tone (on or off), messages received status, last custom configuration, etc.

Every time the radio is power cycled, this dynamic block gets read and written to. Proof of this is astro25 firmware R11.00.00. A simple power cycle of the radio would corrupt this dynamic block causing the radio to brick.

Somehow during the read or reset of the radio caused this Kill byte to be set active. Very weird and seems like a rare event.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
In the dynamic block of the codeplug at location 000Ch resides space for the kill command. This block actually is at the end of the binary file in the flash RAM in the radio. In this dynamic block there are two bytes set aside for the kill command. One byte kills the radio, the other byte verifies the radio has been killed by dispatch. Same goes for the radio inhibit. Other stuff in this 000Ch dynamic block is data like mute tone (on or off), messages received status, last custom configuration, etc.

Every time the radio is power cycled, this dynamic block gets read and written to. Proof of this is astro25 firmware R11.00.00. A simple power cycle of the radio would corrupt this dynamic block causing the radio to brick.

Somehow during the read or reset of the radio caused this Kill byte to be set active. Very weird and seems like a rare event.

Very cool info! We had to destroy the controllers anyway as they were modified to use the UCMs that Elroy is speaking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.