RCS having some radio issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
All morning, I have been hearing weird buzzing on analog, and digital channels blinking into high pitched spiky squeals. Effecting dispatch audio as well as field radios. Dispatchers asking units to repeat, and vise verse. Hearing it on the south site, primarily on Calfire and IB/LG/SNT SO while patched to north site.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
All morning, I have been hearing weird buzzing on analog, and digital channels blinking into high pitched spiky squeals. Effecting dispatch audio as well as field radios. Dispatchers asking units to repeat, and vise verse. Hearing it on the south site, primarily on Calfire and IB/LG/SNT SO while patched to north site.

Paul

Paul, I've been hearing this on the North Zone, primarily on the digital talkgroups, for about a week now. Lots of "10-9, you're digital" going on.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
For some reason I can only recall hearing these problems on multi-site talkgroups, non which were just transmitting on the south site. This was most apparent on all the Calfire incidents overnight, several times (including 10A) there was just around 30 seconds of weird popping crackling buzzing dead air with no voice traffic whatsoever. The closest thing I can say it sounds like is when you touch a 3.5mm audio plug tip against the case of a PC.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
5:50 AM, Blue 1, voice traffic heard on NORTH site, previously reported crackling open carrier heard on SOUTH site. Dispatcher unkeyed , carrier dropped, and when he started talking again, all sites had voice.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing broken transmissions for a few weeks now on digital talkgroups on the North Zone. Heard on different scanners and using different antennas.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Hearing the blippy sqeeking stuff from units in the field only on the south cell. Seem to hear it most on Chula Vista PD, La Mesa PD, and Lemon grove SO, at least those are the talkgroups I see when i look at the display. It catches my attention because when the units get this problem, it sounds (on a Motorola) EXACTLY like when I am out of range of a cell, say trying to listen to the south cell at I-15 and Poway Road. That causes my to check to see if my radio has roamed to the wrong site, then the dispatchers transmit and sounds fine. The transmitting units as far as I can remember were not in adverse areas or inside buildings, just normal transmissions in common areas. Noticed the last week or so, and the dispatchers do ask for a 10-9 on these.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of broken RCS transmissions, a question for Don.

The next gen RCS will at a minimum be a Phase 1 P25 ASTRO25 system..........since the current system is a simulcast (multiple transmitters same frequency per site) system, can we be mostly assured that the next gen RCS will give us the dreaded "CQPSK LSM" reception issues? I wonder how many decades it will be before cheap scanner components can RX these systems properly.

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of broken RCS transmissions, a question for Don.

The next gen RCS will at a minimum be a Phase 1 P25 ASTRO25 system..........since the current system is a simulcast (multiple transmitters same frequency per site) system, can we be mostly assured that the next gen RCS will give us the dreaded "CQPSK LSM" reception issues? I wonder how many decades it will be before cheap scanner components can RX these systems properly.

Paul

Good question, and one I don't have an answer for.

Don

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing from a north county stringer that the RCS North Site is suffering a very severe issues.......half of the talkgroups are stuck on open mic interference while major incidents are working..........this is NOT good.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Also, these open carriers are doing a weird pulsing beep on analog, digital talkgroups are also affected.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Planned day to take down the RCS?????? Are they on fallback channels or SDMARS or something?

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Don has indicated they are "on it".........hopefully he will let us know what happened when he swings by later.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.