New LAFD Unit FR1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuMixon

I have recently noted a LAFD unit with a call sign of "FR1" that is new to me. I believe it is very new as Google web and image searches did not bear any fruit.

For anyone in the know, I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the nature of the unit?

2) What kind of apparatus is it?

3) Where is it based?

4) How recently was it put into service and is it some type of pilot program?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have.

StuMixon

What type of calls have you heard it responding to? That might be a clue.

Right, I'm sure time will reveal a lot.

I heard it for the first time yesterday, just going into service and reporting that it was on air in a certain district (as opposed to being in quarters).

Heard it buy into a medical aid call today, so I know it at least has BLS capabilities, but just about every LAFD unit does.

I know LAFD is about to pilot a Nurse Practitioner program, but I have seen photos of the rig and it was labeled "NP1" so I'm thinking this is something entirely different, or perhaps they changed the call sign.

Anyway, if anyone knows more, don't be shy.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
889fde7bd0753e25edb5114492ecc7af.jpg

Fast Response unit. Per a friend, its like a brush patrol and paramedic squad combined. If I get more details I'll share.

StuMixon

Fast Response unit. Per a friend, its like a brush patrol and paramedic squad combined. If I get more details I'll share.

Jackpot!

Thanks a bunch and I'd be interested to hear more details if you get them, but this appears to be LAFD's adoption of LACoFD's Emergency Support Team (EST) concept.

f40ph

Feed Provider
San Bernardino County has been doing this for years. Calls them "Medic-Brush-Patrol". Years ago, many rural agencies used them calling them "Quick Attack" or "mini-pumper" units.

SBCo has 250 gallons, hose, medic gear, SCBAs, Jaws-of-life.

Attachments

• mbp4.jpg
    mbp4.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6,133

StuMixon

Ah, jackpot. Thanks for the reply and pic of actual LAFD apparatus.

Looks like their implementation of the LACoFD Emergency Support Unit concept, or as noted, what a lot of other agencies call Quick Attack.

StuMixon

lafd also has what they call brush patrols. are they just now using a new name?

Very similar apparatus, but the FR is an ALS unit and is likely outfitted with more equipment that enables it to respond to a wider variety of incidents than a BP which typically is limited to brush/grass mop-up duty and things like hiker calls and other incidents where a full sized engine may have difficulty responding.

Reading more about other agencies that use the concept, it's likely a pilot to try to cut response times. San Diego puts theirs in phantom quarters in geographically large districts which helps fan out their ALS resources while also getting fire/rescue resources to scenes potentially faster.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
From what I have been able to Google:

In Hollywood, LAFD West showcased the new (but not yet operational) “fast response” vehicle that will be able to rapidly respond to both emergency and fire calls. This highly efficient use of resources is part of a soon-to-be unveiled pilot program that carries with it the capability to put out small fires and provide services without calling an engine.

So basically, it is a LACoFD EST except it has a Paramedic with its gear on it. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

SCPD

QRT
I'm curious about how these apparatus are numbered. I assume FR1 and FR2 are not assigned to Stations 1 and 2. I guess these units will be tested in more than one area in the future. .

I read a report a few months ago that analyzed EMS services in the City of Los Angeles. One issue raised was L.A. City's policy to use the fire department for all patient transport following an emergency call. I wonder if private ambulances are going to transport the patients the fast response units provide care for, just like the county does.

It looks like the apparatus would meet the requirements for an ICS Type VI engine. A Type VI is a wildland engine. I assume these fast response units are going to be used in areas that don't have a wildland fire factor. Are these designed to respond to structure fires as well? Type VI engines carry 1 1/2" hose and a live reel as well. I assume they can be used for vehicle fires. I would think the plans for this type of unit is to keep the paramedic ambulances in station or responding to the most critical calls. They would also be able to take car of a lot of the smaller incidents and save the cost of having a task force or light force respond. Any thoughts on this?

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
I all seriousness, an EST is a "Emergency Support Team" unit. Two guys on a unit that looks similar to the brush patrols.

They are a mix of a squad, truck, and patrol, carrying a little bit of everything, and they're attached to incidents as an extra set of manpower.

Attachments

• 5454782843_b2011d4151_z.jpg
    5454782843_b2011d4151_z.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 5,452

Eng74

They might just be using it as a paramedic assessment unit like LACoFD has where there is only one paramedic on the unit. If they do staff it with two medics L.A.F.D. has the 800's BLS ambulances that they can respond also.

PaulNDaOC

What is a LACoFD "EST" unit?

A poor use of manpower at an agency that doesn't come even close to meeting ALS response time standards which is 8 minutes. More squads are needed. The BLS response time the department tosses around is a ruse.

On a recent day 33's had over 30 runs which is an extreme example but the number of calls where the first-in squad is unavailable is sky-high. I'm not sure about EST being a bigger priority, but that is just my thinking. But thse guys are working hard.

I can't find current run number for county squads but I would bet most are as busy as or busier than LA RA's, not taking into account LAFD transports.

Last edited:

Eng74

It's not just LA County but everywhere. 911 is the primary heath care system for a lot of people. There are many time where the squads are out of service holding up the walls at AV Hospital or at Palmdale. Back in 07 my Dad was transported to AV and was in the ER for almost 24 hours before he could get moved up to the ICU, no beds. Almost all of the squads where there at the time holding up the walls. I don't think it has changed much everytime I am in Lancaster everyone is running all the time.

Mikerh91

I can't find current run number for county squads but I would bet most are as busy as or busier than LA RA's, not taking into account LAFD transports.

I would agree that the LACo squads are busier than the LAFD RA's but that is only due to the fact that squads go on every call in LACo. LAFD has the tiered dispatch system, so some calls are handling by the BLS resources.

I think with LA City having a bigger population that LACo during the day, that they (LAFD) is busier in general than LACo.

The Fast Response Resources (FR1 and FR2) not assigned to any station. They are going to be use in certain geographical areas as someone mentioned before.

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
On a recent day 33's had over 30 runs which is an extreme example but the number of calls where the first-in squad is unavailable is sky-high. .

30 calls for Squad 33 isn't an extreme example, it's nearly every day. I've heard they put over 100,000 miles on their new squad in less than three years. There was a squad 233 for a time, and if I remember correctly, that became EST 129 about 20 years ago.

One that that LAFD is doing lately, and I'm not sure if it's city-wide, but an EMS call that may be ALS, or BLS, they will respond both the Paramedic Rescue Ambulance, and the BLS "800" ambulance together.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
LAFD today unveiled its new Fast Response Vehicles(FR) which are designed to put out small fires and provide emergency medical services without relying on larger fire engine.
Essentially they are brush patrol rig that carries firefighting and advanced life support equipment.

The vehicle is expected to be serve in Sylmar, downtown, Pico Union and Echo Park as part of a pilot proof of concept program.

I believe unit IDs are FR1 & 2 deployed on the central city area, while FR401 is the unit in the Valley covering Sylmar.

CS1xImXUEAAQHIk.jpg

CS1xInjUkAEF3v8.jpg

CS1gnoXUEAAlqgj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.