Toronto Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
No wonder i'm hearing more chatter on it... Hopefully someone will fill in the rest of the TG's in the RR database.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If the switch by Police was any indication, about a month.

Also, the talkgroups on the new system are identical as the old system. Until someone updates the database, use the 3C08 database listing, they're correct.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Is East and West going to be running Phase 2? I am getting some West TAC channels but no sound on my XTS2500, North and South i get fine for the new system..

mciupa

Until someone updates the database, use the 3C08 database listing, they're correct.

Not many people are submitting information. :(

The dribs and drabs on the P25 are from my monitoring and a couple of dedicated members as well.

bigcam406

i noticed last night at work(north Whitby) that i was receiving more comms on the P25 system,but it still wasnt alot,compared to what i was receiving on the analogue system.im getting over 90% CC signal strength from the north and east towers.i have read before that the east tower is broadcasting in Phase 2,and im using a PSR600,so would that have something to do with the lack of comms received?

HiVolt

Feed Provider
The comms are still sporadic vs analog... I've been monitoring various towers and commands on digital & analog simultaneously, and not everything is making it to the digital side... i guess all the trucks/handhelds haven't updated yet, but i guess its gonna be soon.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I'm also seeing the scanner is like not locking tot the frequency, the signal is full, it displays the TG, but does not lock to P25, it just flickers between LNK/DAT and remains like that while the analog on another scanner is receiving fine...

I remember seeing similar things when TPS first switched to P25... Maybe i need tweaks to the scanner settings? I've never adjusted the digital p25 rate... Any hints for a 396/996xt?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Nope, they're Phase 1 on all sites.

Toronto Fire uses XTS5000s for portables, so until they switch to an APX radio, they'll never go Phase 2.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For you guys having receptions issues with scanners... welcome to the world of digital simulcast.

mrweather

Yup. We listeners in Mississauga have been dealing with it for a few months and it's annoying as heck. Though I think using a yagi to null offending simulcast sites can help.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Anything is possible... The Astro25 series radios are done so they will certainly migrate to APX at some point. Whether or not they go Phase 2... Who knows. I'm sure there would be a lot of testing to see how Phase 2 comms fair against Phase 1. Traditionally Phase 2 is usually used by non-mission critical/public safety users but I'm sure that'll start to change.

NewsGuy1

A source from within TFS tells me APX radios will be budgeted for in the 2018 budget. Until then, firefighters will continue to use their xts5000 fire fighter model radios. The patch should be in place until all shifts rotate through at least twice, so they can get used to the new programming.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
For you guys having receptions issues with scanners... welcome to the world of digital simulcast.

Are the newer uniden scanners that support Phase 2 better at decoding this system? I seem to recall someone mentioned that.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The top of the line Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP are some of the better scanners at decoding simulcast due to an upgraded decoder.

The mid-line 996p2 and 325p2 did not get the upgraded decoder. They are similar to the XT from what understand. So not all Uniden Phase 2 supported scanners are better at decoding.

Everybody has their own definition of "better" though

Are the newer uniden scanners that support Phase 2 better at decoding this system? I seem to recall someone mentioned that.

Forts said:

Status
Not open for further replies.