Rate Your Batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0GXN

Looking to see what batteries you use and in your opinion why they work the best in your scanner(s).

I have been to the Candle Power Forums, but like I have stated before, I would like to get the skinny from fellow hobbyist who use batteries in the same application as me.

Blackswan73

I use RS 2500 NiMH batteries. I get good battery life, and I got them cheap! $5 for a four pack. I have three sets. I rotate them.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkWestin

I'm using the Duracell "Precharged" Rechargables which are actually rebranded Eneloops. I'm not sure if these are still available or not. All mine have been in constant use for over 5 years. At the same time I bought several Imedion 2100s (Powerex or MaHa) which were initially better than the Eneloops in every way. Shorter charge time. Longer life per charge. They were great until they all died after about 2.5 years. If I were to buy more batteries right now, I would buy more Eneloops. It is worth the effort to find them.

Mark

KE0GXN

I'm using the Duracell "Precharged" Rechargables which are actually rebranded Eneloops. I'm not sure if these are still available or not. All mine have been in constant use for over 5 years. At the same time I bought several Imedion 2100s (Powerex or MaHa) which were initially better than the Eneloops in every way. Shorter charge time. Longer life per charge. They were great until they all died after about 2.5 years. If I were to buy more batteries right now, I would buy more Eneloops. It is worth the effort to find them.

Mark

How do you tell which ones are the Duracell "rebranded" Eneloops?

marksmith

Eneloop Pro 2450.
The hours part is tough to remark on depending on scanning.

I get a good solid 8 hours of what I would call continuous scanning... in other words the radio never stops receiving continuous activity on multiple local systems that are very busy. This would be in a 3 - battery radio like the 436. Longer in a 4 battery radio like the HP-2, maybe up to 10 hours.

You can add a number of hours to this if only monitoring something that is active half the time.

You also will have variability depending on the volume and also the battery saving mode and back light levels.
It's not an easy question to answer.

I am happy with them. I also have good/similar results with LaCrosse batteries and the Rechargeable from Amazon Basics, which I expect are probably really Eneloops or something similar. The batteries that come with Uniden scanners are also reasonable.
Even Eveready rechargeable are OK, even though I use one of their lousy multiple chargers that don't charge individual batteries.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Last edited:

KE0GXN

I use RS 2500 NiMH batteries. I get good battery life, and I got them crap! $5 for a four pack. I have three sets. I rotate them.

From an RS store going out of business or what? Sounds like you got a steal.

RS site has them at 13.99 for just a 2 pack. Amazon has 4 packs for $9.90 though....

gus426

Rate my batteries

I'm very happy with these RS batteries they last a good 8-10 hours in my BCD396XT..

Attachments

• 20151001_140338.jpg
    20151001_140338.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 588

KE0GXN

Eneloop Pro 2450.
The hours part is tough to remark on depending on scanning.

I get a good solid 8 hours of what I would call continuous scanning... in other words the radio never stops receiving continuous activity on multiple local systems that are very busy. This would be in a 3 - battery radio like the 436. Longer in a 4 battery radio like the HP-2, maybe up to 10 hours.

You can add a number of hours to this if only monitoring something that is active half the time.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

I don't have "very" busy systems in my area, so I am thinking I can get at least 10-20 or more hours out of a set of four in my scanner

I am just trying to justify the price difference with the Pros versus the "white" 2000 mahs.

I do travel to extremely busy areas from time to time to visit family, etc. though.

Thought about getting a 4 pack of each and just seeing the if the usage times would justify purchasing the Pros in the future.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops

Nothing beats Eneloops. I prefer the 2000mAh over 2700mAh for scanners. They are on sale this month at Costco.

Eng74

I have had good luck with the Powerex 2700. They are in all my handheld radios and I have a couple extra sets to swap out for charging.

KE0GXN

Pretty much going to go with a 4 pack of Eneloops 2000 and a 4 pack of Eneloop Pros. Try them both and see if the Pros are worth continued purchases from there.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Get the new black eneloop probably the best around I use maha powerex battery chargers that condition and keep the batteries optimized never issues with eneloop but the new ones are even better.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Then you probably haven't tried Eneloops. No comparison.

I have tried eneloops, both the white and black pro batteries. I definitely like the powerex 2700 better. I also now have 2800 EBL batteries. Like them much better than eneloops too.

Not saying the eneloops aren't good batteries, IMHO, the powerex and EBL last longer.

wa9cat

Feed Provider
rate your batteries. Eneloops

You can tell eneloops. made in Japan is the giveaway
Big key with batteries of course is use a good charger one that charges each battery separately

kf5bti

Eneloop is all I have used after discovering them on a photography forum several years ago. I especially like the fact they are low self discharge so I can use them in my flashlights that don't see regular use.

KE0GXN

Get the new black eneloop probably the best around I use maha powerex battery chargers that condition and keep the batteries optimized never issues with eneloop but the new ones are even better.

Do you mind having to do the 2 hour trickle charge after the display reads done to get them to 100%?

Last edited:

Bearcatman911

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Battery Chargers

Don't buy good batteries and a 9 dollar battery charger from WalMart. Get a decent charger like the MaHa power ex wizard one or of their other models. These charge each battery separately and you can charge any combination even one at a time, two three 4 and one I have will do up to 8. They also deep condition the batteries great for use for scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.