Orange FD freq change??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Fire overnight in Orange. Nothing came over my radio. Heard Irvington responding on a mutual aid call. On the way there the Irvington truck mentioned to their dispatcher that they don't have the Orange frequency in their radio anymore? Any one have info on this??

ansky

Did you try listening to channel 2 (501.7375)? They have been having radio problems the last few weeks and have been using channel 2 a lot. I listen almost every day so I know they are active on there.

ansky

I have both freqs programmed. Absolutely nothing. Maybe a glitch, I don't know.

What I have been noticing the last few weeks is the actual dispatch is on both frequencies, and then the rest of the operations move to channel 2. It's sometimes a bit scratchy on channel 2, so maybe they don't always have the repeater turned on. How far away are you from Orange? I'm only about 2 miles away so I can pick them up either way.

Moose

I'm about 4.3 miles, as the crow flies. With an antenna about 40 feet up. Have you heard them today?

ansky

I'm about 4.3 miles, as the crow flies. With an antenna about 40 feet up. Have you heard them today?

I heard some activity on channel 2 earlier this morning around 8am. I haven't listened much since then. Do you normally hear activity on channel 2, or was it only a problem last night? They have been using channel 2 very actively for about the past month.

Moose

Another fire in Orange this morning and nothing heard on my end. I heard the South Orange dispatcher tell their mutual aid responding unit to ask Orange FD "why we are not hearing them on the radios anymore".

ansky

Another fire in Orange this morning and nothing heard on my end. I heard the South Orange dispatcher tell their mutual aid responding unit to ask Orange FD "why we are not hearing them on the radios anymore".

Apparently none of the surrounding towns have Orange FD channel 2 programmed into their radios. I heard them on channel 2 last night and I am hearing them right now as I type this.

I don't know why you would not be hearing them. I can hear channel 2 fine from West Orange. Make sure you have the frequency correct (501.7375). Also, if your scanner has a Service Types selection, make sure you have "Fire-Talk" turned on. Orange FD 2 is in the database as "Fire-Talk" so you'll need that service type turned on.

Last edited:

Moose

It's a BCD996T so no problem with service types. I know I've heard them in the past, even on their 2nd channel. I get Bloomfield 5 bars on that radio. So I don't know. Anyway, that's the story. I'm not going to lose any more sleep over this. Thanks for your suggestions

ansky

It's a BCD996T so no problem with service types. I know I've heard them in the past, even on their 2nd channel. I get Bloomfield 5 bars on that radio. So I don't know. Anyway, that's the story. I'm not going to lose any more sleep over this. Thanks for your suggestions

That's a bummer. I know it's frustrating. The only thing I can think of is they may sometimes be operating in simplex mode and the signal just isn't making it far enough out to you. I notice this sometimes with the PD. The dispatcher will sound loud and clear, but then when the officer responds it is very broken up. I happen to live close enough that I can pick them up even in simplex. My guess is that's the issue.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Orange Fire

Orange PD has a transmitter on top of the west orange mountain, 640 feet above sea level.... when that location is transmitting, they can be heard for 30 miles away... but, when they use the transmitter in Orange, which is much lower, the signal barely makes it out of Orange. I am going to assume the same thing applies to the FD..and that might be why you are having these issues.

Moose

That makes sense. I know for a fact that when I programmed this radio many years ago, I added the FD channel 2 and had heard it in operation. Now, nothing. Thanks for the insight.

ansky

Orange PD has a transmitter on top of the west orange mountain, 640 feet above sea level.... when that location is transmitting, they can be heard for 30 miles away... but, when they use the transmitter in Orange, which is much lower, the signal barely makes it out of Orange. I am going to assume the same thing applies to the FD..and that might be why you are having these issues.

Is Orange on the tower located in the middle of Eagle Rock Reservation or is it a different location?

ansky

Orange FD is still on UTAC 4 today. They were stepping on some other agency that was transmitting at the same time and got into an argument over the air.

The radio problems with Orange FD have been going on for over a month. It's hard to believe they have not had a fix yet.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
My understanding is they don't have the funds to fix it...not sure how true that is.

I love them on UTAC-4 since I can get them now. I am unable to hear them on their regular channels.

ansky

My understanding is they don't have the funds to fix it...not sure how true that is.

I love them on UTAC-4 since I can get them now. I am unable to hear them on their regular channels.

I noticed the initial dispatch tone goes out over the regular fire dispatch channel so I wonder what the actual issue is. Maybe it's just certain radios that are having problems.

Where do the UTAC channels transmit from? Are there multiple sites? I noticed they seem to drop out occasionally when the FD is transmitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.